Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 33 to 48 of 80

Thread: The death penalty should be reinstated for police killers?

  1. #33
    Vampire
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,705
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    11 times in 11 posts
    I am all for the death penalty. But why should it apply only to police killers. There are other acts which I would rate as "pure evil" even more than shooting cops.
    All Hail the AACS : 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

  2. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    237
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked
    3 times in 3 posts
    A policeman's life is worth no more than a teacher's or a bus drivers. Taking a life is taking a life. Each should be punished equally.

    I'm definitely not anti-death penalty though. Far from it. I'm just sensible enough to know that in most cases it's unworkable. I'd rather be sent to prison wrongfully for 20 years than killed wrongfully. If it can be proven 100%, then by all means go for the death penalty.

    I'd happily be the one pulling the trigger/flicking the switch/turning on the gas, etc.

  3. #35
    Senior Member ajbrun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    York, England
    Posts
    4,840
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    25 times in 13 posts
    The profession of an individual should have no consequence on how a criminal is punished if that professional is murdered. Imo, killing a police officer is less of a crime than the London tube bombings a few years back (I am assuming no police officers were killed there).

    This may sound harsh, but being attacked as a police officer is just a risk of the job, which comes with many jobs. Pilots have an increased risk of cancer through being closer to the upper atmosphere, fire fighters can be killed or injured in fires, etc etc. I'm sure you could say that the risk to police officers is more 'human' because it's caused by man, but then members of the army and other military professions have the same risk. Why should police officers be any different?

  4. #36
    A Straw? And Fruit? Bazzlad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The Big Rhesus House Stourbridge
    Posts
    3,072
    Thanks
    90
    Thanked
    78 times in 44 posts
    How can you say a somebody assaulting/killing a Police officer (who IS on duty) isn't worse than assaulting a normal person. ANYONE serving the public deserves more protection.

    It would be interesting to see how many of you would vote for higher sentences for people who assault Nurses/NHS staff.

    As I said before:

    And as for someone killing a Police Officer (Whilst on duty - very important) someone who dedicates their life to protecting and supporting YOU is even worse. I don't want to hear "They're no better than me" - they are. They're serving the public, risking their life on a daily basis, for not a lot of money. How many of you would rush into someone else's house and stop a 6 foot tall smack head assaulting his wife. Say what you want but the answer is not many. (I've been in that position myself and was VERY relieved when the Police came and took over). So yes, increase the sentencing for people who assault/murder Police. But don't stop there.
    Anyone serving the public deserves increased protection from the law. End of.

  5. #37
    Senior Member JPreston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,667
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked
    124 times in 74 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazzlad View Post
    How can you say a somebody assaulting/killing a Police officer (who IS on duty) isn't worse than assaulting a normal person. ANYONE serving the public deserves more protection.

    It would be interesting to see how many of you would vote for higher sentences for people who assault Nurses/NHS staff.

    As I said before:



    Anyone serving the public deserves increased protection from the law. End of.

    Surely not the Community Support Officers, because you have consistently despised them in previous posts. "Fake Plastic Police" - hilarious. End of.

    And on the subject of hypocrisy, how do you reconicle your statements with your publicly saccharine religiosity, also consistently proudly exhibited? It is not possible to be both a christian and pro-death penalty. End of. Look at Anthony Walker's mum as an example, then decide which conviction you want to hold in future and which you want to discard.

    On the subject of convictions, I'd be interested to hear how your proposal for 10 years imprisonment for knife ownership would be workable, because I own probably two dozen knives which I recklessy keep in my cutlery drawer.

    In fact far from '4 lines that I disagree with' there's so many howlers in your tirade against the Global Liberal Conspiracy above that I don't have time to pick them out just now. . End of.


    EDIT: in fact "Anyone serving the public deserves increased protection from the law. End of." is probably the most extreme marxist communist statement ever posted on here. What you are saying you believe is; not only are state employees more noble than capitalist dogs in the private sector but they are actually more valuable as human beings, that they have additional rights to self-interested bourgeoisie, and additional protections under the law! Or maybe it's more ill-considered burbling?
    Last edited by JPreston; 25-07-2007 at 09:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell

    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

  6. #38
    A Straw? And Fruit? Bazzlad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The Big Rhesus House Stourbridge
    Posts
    3,072
    Thanks
    90
    Thanked
    78 times in 44 posts
    Here we go J - I'm right no matter what because I say I am and I know everything - Preston has arrived.

    Firstly. I hate the "Fake Plastic Police". They're a waste of money.

    "Excuse me sir, would you mind standing there whilst I call a real Police Officer to apprehend you"

    Pointless. I'd much prefer to swap those for HALF the number of REAL Officers.

    Quote Originally Posted by JPreston View Post
    And on the subject of hypocrisy, how do you reconicle your statements with your publicly saccharine religiosity, also consistently proudly exhibited? It is not possible to be both a christian and pro-death penalty. End of. Look at Anthony Walker's mum as an example, then decide which conviction you want to hold in future and which you want to discard
    HOW DARE YOU tell me what I views I can hold and what I cannot. My Christian views do not conflict with my views on the death penalty. My personal Christian views do not conform with any of the major Christian churches, cause I personally believe that groups twist the message of the Lord to their own Agenda (Suicide Bombers anyone?). The bible was placed here for us to read and understand. I've read it, I've taken what I believe it says, I've used my own judgement (that God blessed me with) and my beliefs are in place. Someone telling me what I can or can't believe - Religious, or a pompous nitwit on a computer forum can go and ####.

    On the subject of convictions, I'd be interested to hear how your proposal for 10 years imprisonment for knife ownership would be workable, because I own probably two dozen knives which I recklessy keep in my cutlery drawer.
    My personal favourite - let's take a quote out of context time! Yay!
    If you're too stupid to realise what I meant when I wrote "Same for knives" - then I'd avoid the medicine cabinet.

    In fact "Anyone serving the public deserves increased protection from the law. End of." is probably the most extreme marxist communist statement ever posted on here. What you are saying you believe is; not only are state employees more noble than capitalist dogs in the private sector but they are actually more valuable as human beings, that they have additional rights to self-interested bourgeoisie, and additional protections under the law! Or maybe it's more ill-considered burbling?
    Yes I am. I'm saying anyone who risks their lives on a constant basis for idiots like you deserve better protection from the state. Any one who's stupid enough to attack an on duty Police Officer deserves what they get.

    IIRC - In the states, Police Dogs have the same legal protection as officers - ie you kill one, you'll be on trial for murder.

    They got it right.

    The beautiful thing? Once again, I'm in the majority. Every single survey done on capital punishment always sways in favour of bring it back (although the gap has fallen).

  7. #39
    Senior Amoeba iranu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    On the dinner table. Blechh!
    Posts
    3,532
    Thanks
    111
    Thanked
    156 times in 106 posts
    • iranu's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene VI
      • CPU:
      • 4670K @4.3Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Samsung Green
      • Storage:
      • 1x 256Gb Samsung 830 SSD 2x640gb HGST raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W Modular
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Silencio 352
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 ultimate 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" DELL Ultrasharp U2312HM
      • Internet:
      • 16mb broadband
    From another forum I visit.
    My wife worked on projects with the mother in the local junior chamber of commerce and my sister in law and her husband are co-workers of the father. I know one of the officers who arrived early on the scene and got the details from him.

    The attack was totally random... the two bastards went to a weathly section of town and started trying doors... theirs was unlocked. They found the father asleep on the couch and bashed his head in with a baseball bat then attacked and raped the wife and daughters. Not even the ten year old was spared. When the bank opened in the AM they forced the woman to withdraw 15k (largest amount that can be taken out in cash without requiring a security check) and she managed to get a message to the teller who immediately called the police. When the officers arrived they found the house going up in flames. All three females were DOA and the husband was in dire need of emergency medical treatment with a massive skull fracture and a severe concussion.

    The suspects were arrested just outside the scene of the crime and have confessed to their actions. Apparently they had met in jail and were released recently. No word on prior convictions but I'm willing to bet they were bad enough to be considered a threat to society.
    here and here is the news article.

    I find it extremely hard to NOT justify capital punishment for these two unless of course it would be a punishment much, much worse. I always try to think as rationally as possible with regard to CP, but there are times when I think that it is justified. This is one of those cases. I'm sure that the families of the victims could easily pull the trigger or lever for the hanging. It wouldn't bother me either.
    Last edited by iranu; 25-07-2007 at 11:22 AM.
    "Reality is what it is, not what you want it to be." Frank Zappa. ----------- "The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike." Huang Po.----------- "A drowsy line of wasted time bathes my open mind", - Ride.

  8. #40
    Senior Member ajbrun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    York, England
    Posts
    4,840
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    25 times in 13 posts
    So Bazzlad, are you saying that me as a cashier in a supermarket deserves more protection than someone else because I serve the public? Where does it end? Why can't everyone be treated equally?

  9. #41
    A Straw? And Fruit? Bazzlad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The Big Rhesus House Stourbridge
    Posts
    3,072
    Thanks
    90
    Thanked
    78 times in 44 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ajbrun View Post
    So Bazzlad, are you saying that me as a cashier in a supermarket deserves more protection than someone else because I serve the public? Where does it end? Why can't everyone be treated equally?
    Do you risk your life daily for others or scan object's barcodes?

  10. #42
    Senior Member ajbrun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    York, England
    Posts
    4,840
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    25 times in 13 posts
    No - I'm just presenting a hypothetical situation. Assuming something should happen, why shouldn't they be punished in the same way as if it happened to anyone else? I have heard of some stores that attract a more aggressive customer base than mine however, so this may still apply, but just not to me.

  11. #43
    780 nanometres redlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    East Herts
    Posts
    859
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked
    26 times in 19 posts
    • redlight's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Quad 6600@3.1
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Geil PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 2x250GB Samsung 400GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Leadtek 8800GTS 640MB
      • PSU:
      • Tagan 580w
      • Case:
      • Gigabyte Aurora
      • Monitor(s):
      • Fujitsu Siemens 22" + 42" plasma
      • Internet:
      • 2MB Tiscali
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazzlad View Post
    Do you risk your life daily for others or scan object's barcodes?
    Now spoilt tory brat attacks shop workers.
    Hang him I say never mind a trial the christian thing to do is put him out of his misery.

  12. #44
    A Straw? And Fruit? Bazzlad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The Big Rhesus House Stourbridge
    Posts
    3,072
    Thanks
    90
    Thanked
    78 times in 44 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redlight View Post
    Now spoilt tory brat attacks shop workers.
    1) I've never been spoilt.
    2) I'm not a Tory per say, this may sound crazy but my voting policy depends on "WHO DESERVES IT AT THE TIME". That was Labour. It's not any more.
    3) Nice input.

  13. #45
    A Straw? And Fruit? Bazzlad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The Big Rhesus House Stourbridge
    Posts
    3,072
    Thanks
    90
    Thanked
    78 times in 44 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ajbrun View Post
    No - I'm just presenting a hypothetical situation. Assuming something should happen, why shouldn't they be punished in the same way as if it happened to anyone else? I have heard of some stores that attract a more aggressive customer base than mine however, so this may still apply, but just not to me.
    You'd have the same protection as you do now, as I have, as everyone else has. However, the people who are paid and risk their lives to protect us have more protection to discourage attacks on them.

    Question - Would you be against minimum sentences for people who assault nurses?

  14. #46
    Vampire
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,705
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    11 times in 11 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazzlad View Post

    Question - Would you be against minimum sentences for people who assault nurses?
    Yes, because it should be a minimum sentence for people who assault anyone, not just nurses.

    An additional sentence for people who assault people such as nurses, doctors or cops would be fine. But there should be one step before that.
    All Hail the AACS : 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

  15. #47
    Senior Member ajbrun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    York, England
    Posts
    4,840
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    25 times in 13 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinizter View Post
    An additional sentence for people who assault people such as nurses, doctors or cops would be fine. But there should be one step before that.
    But you're giving those professions preferential treatment again. If I were to live in a particularly rough area, should anyone who attacks me get an additional sentence also because I'm more likely to be attacked because of where I live?

  16. #48
    Vampire
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,705
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    11 times in 11 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ajbrun View Post
    But you're giving those professions preferential treatment again. If I were to live in a particularly rough area, should anyone who attacks me get an additional sentence also because I'm more likely to be attacked because of where I live?
    I have nothing against giving them preferential treatment while on duty provided there is a step before that with a minimum sentence.

    If you live in a rough area, what do you want - A police escort ?

    I wouldn't want nurses or doctors or even teachers from working in rough areas because of the likelihood of being attacked. Not so sure about the police, as its kind of part and parcel of their job. And if this will reduce that likelihood of being attacked, I will support it.
    All Hail the AACS : 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Is this Death Penalty movie worth watching?
    By tflon in forum Question Time
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 25-01-2005, 02:48 AM
  2. Capital Punishment
    By Russ in forum Question Time
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 21-10-2003, 02:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •