Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Intelligent Design / Evolution podcast

unapologetic apologist
    Thanks

Intelligent Design / Evolution podcast

yes, is time for another round of circular debate. For Christians, is a goodly looking site:

http://creationupdate.blogspot.com/

podcast url:
    http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...29845&s=143444

main site: www.reason.org

way cool

EDIT: listening to 1st one. Mentioning the critical role of junk DNA in the scheme of things, ie appears junk but is not so. long podcasts but good meat to chew on.
    Last edited by fuddam; 27-03-2006 at 12:29 PM.

Thanks

Thanks
    Why would you bring this up again?

Your religious doctrine is called creation. Feel free to talk about that within the context of your religion. In fact, I support your right to talk about it as much as you want to!

Intelligent design is a bogus 'scientific' theory, designed only to aid in the indoctrination of children. It has been repeatedly shown to be utter rubbish every two weeks when somone brings it up. Don't tarnish people's views of your religion by supporting this child abuse.

Thanks
    I have not read the site or heard the podcast yet, will when if get chance but not sure if i want to. What slant does it take?

But to clarify Fuddam, are you are believer of Intelligent Design or do, like me (and any other decent thinking intelligent human), think it's a complete bunch or horse s**t?

The thing i never got, was why does intelligent design have to rule out Darwin's theory of evolution? Why can both go hand in hand? I mean, although I don’t believe in it myself, why can't a god have designed the original building blocks for evolution. Darwin never ruled out the existence of god. That is what most sane religious people (including a friends father who is a vicar) tend to believe.

I don't know why this kind of rightwing extremism is creeping religion more and more, maybe it's a natural response to the increasing extremism of other religions, but either way, i find it scarey and just epitomizes everything that wrong with America at the moment.

Anyway, we all know that the people who pedal this nonsense have a hidden agenda. Anyone who buys into it are just as naive as the people who get sucked into those crazy cults.
    Last edited by autopilot; 27-03-2006 at 12:42 PM.

unapologetic apologist
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TeePee
    Why would you bring this up again?
    feel free to ignore the thread

am interested, personally, in hearing more intelligent life than ourselves discuss such issues, rather than continually running into the limits of our knowledge.

Intelligent design is a bogus 'scientific' theory, designed only to aid in the indoctrination of children. It has been repeatedly shown to be utter rubbish every two weeks when somone brings it up. Don't tarnish people's views of your religion by supporting this child abuse.
    hehehehe

no, it has not been shown to be thus.

people are very proud of their pat answers. Rather than continually indulge them, am pointing a way forward for those who are interested. 'nuff said.

Thanks
    Yes, it has, and if you are too stupid to understand that then 'hehehehe' to you too.

unapologetic apologist
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous_dom
    I have not read the site or heard the podcast yet, will when if get chance but not sure if i want to. What slant does it take?
    think the slogan that struck me most was: put everything to the test; hold fast to that which is good

But to clarify Fuddam, are you are believer of Intelligent Design or do, like me (and any other decent thinking intelligent human), think it's a complete bunch or horse s**t?
    I am in with the intelligent horses

The thing i never got, was why does inteligent design have to rule out Darwin's theory of evolution? Why can both go hand in hand? I mean, although i dont believe in it myself, why can't a god have designed the original building blocks for evolution. Darwin never ruled out the existance of god. The is what most sane relegious people (including a freinds father who is a vicor) tend to believe.
    for me, the point is not evolution or literal creation. the point is whether there is a God, and if so, did he make our world / universe etc.

however, would also say, for a Christian, the additional point is that we humans are not simply descendants from apes.

unapologetic apologist
    Thanks
    Yes, it has, and if you are too stupid to understand that then 'hehehehe' to you too.
    one day your paradigm will reach a critical mass, and then....?

don't believe I've ever called you 'stupid'. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks
    TeePee mate, the doors this way! Run before we get run over by his high horse...

/Shouts "intelligent desgin sucks, ner ner, na ner ner!" in childish manor on way out...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fuddam
    one day your paradigm will reach a critical mass, and then....?

don't believe I've ever called you 'stupid'. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    I don't think you have, but if you did, I'd just add it to the list of things you are wrong about.

Where my paradigm to reach critical mass, we formulate a new paradigm based on the new mass. That is the scientific concept, which as you can plainly see ID does not follow.

unapologetic apologist
    Thanks
    Were my paradigm to reach critical mass, we formulate a new paradigm based on the new mass. That is the scientific concept, which as you can plainly see ID does not follow.
    well, see, that's EXACTLY why I posted this thread in the first place. EXACTLY. The professors / scientists etc on the podcast are discussing scientific breakthroughs, new discoveries, new understandings of the universe, looking at new paradigms.

For me that is exciting, regardless of belief.

and you?

same tired old teepee tirade.

nice ivory tower. pity the view.

unapologetic apologist
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous_dom
    TeePee mate, the doors this way! Run before we get run over by his high horse...
    lol. nice one

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fuddam
    well, see, that's EXACTLY why I posted this thread in the first place. EXACTLY. The professors / scientists etc on the podcast are discussing scientific breakthroughs, new discoveries, new understandings of the universe, looking at new paradigms.

For me that is exciting, regardless of belief.

and you?

same tired old teepee tirade.

nice ivory tower. pity the view.
    Then why did you mention Intelligent Design in the title, if the podcast is about science?

Something tells me this is really about a bunch of 'scientists' trying to show that new scientific discoveries prove the existence of god. Science doesn't work that way.

If you are really interested in real scientific theories, read The Ancestor's Tale: A Pilgrimage to the Dawn of Life.

Thanks
    Just a bit of input

I'm a Christian and I believe in creationism as so many call it. I also believe in adaptation or forms of micro-evolution but as already said I seriously do not believe we evolved from Apes. Before I became a Christian I didn't believe so and I never will.

You guys shouldn't really bicker over this. I for one am sick and tired as its going no-where and arguements for and against will never prevail until we find out what happens when we die.

Thanks
    Yes to be totally fair, we are are all entitled to our beliefs. Whatever floats yer boat i guess. What i dont like is the way these idea's, and thats all they are, being pushed upon children in schools like it is in the US by these self appointed so-called experts. They use clear lanuage and try to twist facts around to conform to what the want, and want others, to believe. There is a reason this is happening mostly in America, for much the same reason most UFO landings happened in the US.

There is a hidden agenda, which has nothing to do with academic progress and proper ballanced education. Perosnally i find it all very sinister and it's rather dangerous. We all know what happens when people try to control the masses with religious ideals.

I'm all up for open debate, but if the advocates of ID get slagged off, they only have themselves to blame.
    Last edited by autopilot; 27-03-2006 at 02:17 PM.

unapologetic apologist
    Thanks
    Then why did you mention Intelligent Design in the title, if the podcast is about science?
    I think I hung my colours on the mast in the first post. Is pretty obvious from any of those links what position the podcast is about.

If you are really interested in real scientific theories, read The Ancestor's Tale: A Pilgrimage to the Dawn of Life.
    I thought so. You ARE a disciple, but of a different faith: the Dawkins Acolyte.

Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

Thread Information