View Poll Results: should weed be legalised?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! set the weed free!

52 54.17%
  • No! make users criminals!

23 23.96%
  • Yes, but only downgrade to class C

16 16.67%
  • Unsure

5 5.21%
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: legalise cannabis?

You are feeling sleepy... acidrainy's Avatar
    Thanks
    As for the legalisation of cannabis, I'm for it... I can admit I don't smoke it, but I generally don't have anything against my friends using it, esp if they enjoy themselves and it helps them get away from things...

We all know we like to get away from our problems etc once in a while....

Another thing a totally agree in is its use in the medical world as a painkiller etc... This is another plus from the drug...

Although I'm for its legalisation, I cant help but think "Give people and inch and they will take a mile..."

Goat Boy
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Slick
    That'd be stupid imo, may get you free weed but if you were caught you'd be arrested with intent to supply so would more than likely be looking at serving some time. Even if it was legalised I doubt that you would be legally allowed to grow it anyway as the government would want to tax it.
    This is not the case. If you have a small number of plants it is classed as personal possesion.
    "All our beliefs are being challenged now, and rightfully so, they're stupid." - Bill Hicks

Thanks
    Legalise it and tax the bejesus out of it.

herbalist
    Thanks
    Originally posted by acidrainy
    As for the legalisation of cannabis, I'm for it... I can admit I don't smoke it, but I generally don't have anything against my friends using it, esp if they enjoy themselves and it helps them get away from things...
    i think that it shouldn't be used to get away from things, especially problems at home, work, college, whatever. if you are depressed and smoke, it just makes you sink further into depression, i know, its happened to me. in holland, people are allowed to grow 5 plants each for personal use, which i think is more than resonable.

if war is the answer, then we are asking the wrong question
    2 things i hate the most - xenophobia and the french
    "chuffing"

Thanks
    Originally posted by DaBeeeenster
    This is not the case. If you have a small number of plants it is classed as personal possesion.
    I stand corrected

Still....I'm sure it'd hold a harsher punishment then if you'd just bought some for personal use.....wouldn't it?
    Last edited by Slick; 03-08-2003 at 03:53 PM.

Goat Boy
    Thanks
    Why? You are not giving money to organised crime.

I mean, this is a good example of why I find the law so ridiculous. Other than myself, can anyone explain to me who I am hurting by growing my own plants and smoking them myself? Why on earth should the government deem it such that I am not allowed to do this?

Makes me so mad
    "All our beliefs are being challenged now, and rightfully so, they're stupid." - Bill Hicks

herbalist
    Thanks
    it depends. if the plants are grown in bulk, then this would be classed as being grown with intent to deal it. if you've only got 1 or 2 plants, then i guess you could get away with personal use. if you buy some for personal use, i think you can have a quarter-ounce for personal, but only if it's in one lot, not split up into other smaller amounts. if you get caught with it like that, you'll get done for dealing.

"chuffing"

Thanks
    Other than myself, can anyone explain to me who I am hurting by growing my own plants and smoking them myself?
    But that's the point.... you are hurting yourself, damaging your brain, your lungs etc. Then when you (and lots of other cannabis users) need to go to hospital after years of drug abuse it's gonna put a strain on the NHS.

Goat Boy
    Thanks
    And how is that different from riding a motorbike? Or drinking a lot? Or not exercising properly? Or eating badly?

Surely it's up to the individual as to what they do with their bodies?

The government are not going to say "Right, we're banning hanggliding, it's too expensive on the NHS" are they?!?!?!

Thanks
    Surely it's up to the individual as to what they do with their bodies?
    In a perfect world....yes it should be legalised if you're a responsible adult, its a fully informed decision and willing to pay for medical care if needed.

But firstly we don't know that much about it so it wouldn't be a fully informed decision. As I've said allready it has links to schitsophrenia etc and we don't know nearly enough about it to start considering legalising it yet (cigarettes were legalised when we knew little about it..... look what we found out it did later).

Secondly there are many people in this country who aren't "responsible" adults and can't be trusted to look after themselves. Look at the numbers of people still taking up smoking even after knowing that if they carry it on it's likely to kill them.

The government are not going to say "Right, we're banning hanggliding, it's too expensive on the NHS" are they?!?!?!
    Hanggliding would only affect the minority who have an accident whilst doing it. All long term cannabis users will have the negative effects of cannabis use. Also if someone is eating really unhealthily or abusing drink that should be stopped by the NHS, but we need food to live and there are lots of responsible alcohol users and peoplpe who can eat the occasional unhealthy food without it damaging their health. I know you'll probably try and say that this is the same with cannabis but in my experience it isn't....most cannabis users I know do it nearly every day (not including those who just tried it out of curiosity the once).

herbalist
    Thanks
    the majority of people in the UK smoke resin. i refuse to smoke the dirty stuff anymore, but i found this on how it's made :

http://evilweeds.com/html/dodgyhash.htm

this is what most people buy and smoke. if it was legal to grow your own, do you really think people would still smoke this vile mix of crap?

"chuffing"

Thanks
    Originally posted by not_your_punk
    the majority of people in the UK smoke resin. i refuse to smoke the dirty stuff anymore, but i found this on how it's made :

http://evilweeds.com/html/dodgyhash.htm

this is what most people buy and smoke. if it was legal to grow your own, do you really think people would still smoke this vile mix of crap?
    Probably not, but they'd probably smoke more, more people would smoke it, and more people would use harder drugs (see my first post for an explaination why). Surely all these consequences would be worse for the health of the country in the long run?

herbalist
    Thanks
    true, more people would smoke it at first, but then the amount of smokers would reduce to previous levels, as shown by Amsterdam. prohibition is forcing people to resort to smoking stuff that is worse for them than if it was legalised and high-quality weed was available, which is damn stupid if you ask me.

"chuffing"

Thanks
    Amsterdam has shown that legalising it would see a rise in harder drug use, I also think it'd be worse in this country as we have a culture of abusing our bodies.

Anyway....enjoy your holiday to Amsterdam and try not to kill too many brain cells

herbalist
    Thanks
    cheers matey. its gonna be an interestin experience. i'll try and post when i'm there if i remember.

"chuffing"

One skin, two skin......
    Thanks
    Why should we introduce another chemical into the system which causes health problems? Why are we saying 'legalise hash' or 'legalise all drugs and let people decide for themselves whether to take them'?

Why not 'criminalise all of them'? Ban them all?

TBH alcohol is different, because the few people who abuse alcohol do only themselves damage, unlike smoking and other smoked drugs. Although there are the idiots who get drunk and start fights.......Maybe we should get courts orders against such people saying that they aren't allowed to drink, because they can't handle themselves when they've had a drinnk....

If we legalised cannabis then the argument would come up about passive smoking of a mind altering drug against our wil. Do we want that?

Thread Information