Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Prove you're British

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JPreston View Post
    Not automatically they won't.
    Yes they will.

Birth Abroad to One Citizen and One Alien Parent in Wedlock: A child born abroad to one U.S. citizen parent and one alien parent acquires U.S. citizenship at birth under Section 301(g) INA provided the citizen parent was physically present in the U.S. for the time period required by the law applicable at the time of the child's birth. (For birth on or after November 14, 1986, a period of five years physical presence, two after the age of fourteen is required. For birth between December 24, 1952 and November 13, 1986, a period of ten years, five after the age of fourteen are required for physical presence in the U.S. to transmit U.S. citizenship to the child.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post
    http://www.britishhighcommission.gov...=1109171564665

section 2a (the rules appear to have changed this year)

this is why i have both british and french nationality - my father's british, and my mother's french (they do ir did it by mother in france)
    A good read, cheers mate.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazzlad View Post
    Erm, you'll find they will, yes I have to apply for both passports but as they'll be born in the states and I'm English, they will be able to play for both Football teams...
    You don't get my point; citizenship is different to residency is different to whatever rules the cricket commission or whoever say apply to decide what team you can play for. I'm not saying there is no such thing as a welsh national rugby team and that whatever photos you see pertaining to depict them are clever photoshopped forgeries, only that there is no such as a welsh national or a welsh passport so there is no difference in nationality between the england and welsh teams, regardless of whatever rules the governing bodies enforce. And BTW your children will only ever have a UK passport, because americans don't have passports

Thanks
    Yes, I get that, but that doesn't apply to kevin Pieterson, South African/English.

And I don't get this:

"And BTW your children will only ever have a UK passport, because americans don't have passports"

My missus has one. Am I being stupid here? Probably.

Thanks
    Oh for christ's sake. I too could name various sportsmen who play for unexpected teams; I happen to be croat, so in the world cup just ended I remember that we fielded someone who was as brazilian as they come (probably would not have made the brazilian squad though) as well as one who could have played for australia instead, in fact in the game against australia, australia fielded a chap who could have played for croatia. All I am saying is that the two things are different, you can play for a national squad without holding the relevant passport or being a citizen of that country, and thought an easy example would be wales which has national teams but no citizens.

The comment about american passports is a joke arising on the fact that americans are known to have very low incidence of passport ownership; something like 14%, and for example bush became president without ever having owned a passport let alone visiting another country. They are also famous for having no sense of irony...

Thread Information