Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coolermaster stacker

Registered+
    Thanks

Coolermaster stacker

This is originally from www.cpcff.co.uk.

Cooler Master Stacker

Why this case ?

I was building a rig, and needed a case that would stand the test of time, be able to house a watercooling setup as well as other expandability, and look reasonable at the same time.

From these categories I had two real contenders- the Stacker and the Akasa Eclipse 62, both of which I had seen in Custom PC magazine and had come highly recommended. I chose the Coolermaster as, although it costed £20 at the time, it offers mcuh more in terms of expandability, with 11 optical disk drive bays and the 4 inch extra at the bottom of the case, which no other i have seen has, and is perfect for my future watercooling radiator. Also it offers long life due to its compatibility with the new BTX platform and is very easy to modify, as it is available with a case window and has excellent cooling capabilties .

Lets have a look at it

CMStacker

Well, when it arrived through my door, or i took my door off to get it through, i was astounded by the sheer size of the box it came in, thankfully it wasnt 3/4 of a metre wide, but had some very good padding in the form of a plastic polystyrene equivelent , and arrived undamaged.

Looking inside the box i was instantly struck by the quality of aluminium that was used, and the SECC steel that is used to stiffen the chassis and the quality of general workmanship around the case. the upper fan blowhole, covered with mesh was a particularily good example, as they managed to get the mesh incredibly flat with the rest of the aluminium panel. When Custom PC reviewed it they said that it was ugly, but i found that this was far from the case, the window panel has a very natural curve to it and the aluminium is really quite beautiful. However the front could look a bit less copy and pasted all the way down the case, but even this still looked good.

Ease of use

The Coolermaster stacker is a very large case, and therefore should be extremely easy to build a computer in. With this in mind it certainly doesnt fail, the case is brilliant to use, due to its sheer internal volume, and the excellent drive securing mechanism, which i have heard critised but have nothing but praise for. you just use a bracket with a notch where normally the screw would go on the drive, put it in, and then slide it into the case until it clicks, very simple and you just release a catch to let it out. The best mechanism i have ever seen on a case. To install the motherboard you have the option of removing the motherboard tray but i would recommend against doing this as the removal of about 15 screws is necessary and it is more designed for the conversino to the btx form factor than for installing motherboards. However this is not too much of a setback as the stacker is a very easy case to install a motherboard in due to its size. There is an option of a cross flow fan which blows air from the right side panel across the RAM and Voltage regulartory modules, which should help overclocking , and i took up this option. However it may be easier to leave this out until you have installed the motherboard as it restricts access somewhat. Also if you did not have this option then cable tidying would be much neater as you could use the hole that it leaves to slot the power and fan cables through and greatly reduce the clutter at the same time. There is also the extra feature of the extra psu bay in the stacker, which explains the presence of the gap at the bottom. As most peope wont use this, coolermaster have kindly included a additional backplate which can house two 80mm fan, as input or exhaust which is great for a bit more cooling, or if you have a radiator around that area.

Cross flow fan

Another great feature of this case is the hard drive module. It clips into the drive rails the same way as optical drives, and take up 3 drive bays. For that cost you get space for 4 hard disk drives, and there is a fan at the front of the module, wich is great at feeding air through the hard drives and into the rest of the system. In fact this is the only way to pull air into the case without modding , although the whole front is mesh and grill, so the exhaust fans will drag some through due to nature abhoring a vacuum. However this may have its downfalls, the mdule only taking four drives, you must buy a new one if you want to add another hard drive, and they arre £15 each, which is alright considering they include a very quiet fan, though it doesnt move a lot of air. Another issue with the modules is the ease of removing them to add another hard drive. To do this you must remove the mesh outer covers which are useually easy to push out with a screw driver. however when there is something in them, this is now impossible, so you must take off the one underneath from inside the case, then take off the ones you need from the outside, which is a very tricky process. If you did ever fill up all eleven drive bays, you could never get one of the drives out, as you cant get the covers off.

Hard drive module

There are two of the coolermaster ultra quiet 120mm fans included in the case and one 80mm. The 120mm are silent (13dB-A) although they only output a meagre 11.27 CFM of air, which is abysmal. The 80mm fans actually output more air (15.75 cfm ) for the same noise which is remarkable, and shows that those fans must be much more efficient than the 120mms. Weird.

Watercooling ability

This case should be a beast for watercooling in the same way that it is for installing a system- size, and special mechanisms to help you out. In this case we have the 38x22x10cm space below the motherboard tray, which can be used for pumps, resevoirs , or most productively a radiator. For the last use it excels, it can mount a 120.3 if you dont use the lower drive bay, which i would never do. There is a picture of mine with a 120.3 below. i belive you could also mount a extra 120.1 either by standing it upright next to the 120.3 lying down or at the top of the case, with the current 80mm fan hole bored out to 120mm. you could use this for a HDD or the northbridge while the 120.3 cooled the cpu and the Graphics card. Due to the large number of drive bays( 11) you can afford to have a dual bay resevoir which most other cases will not allow you to have, the dual bay not only means less filling up and more self bleeding but will cool the water to a greater degree, as the resevoir acts as if it is a less effecient radiator. This case allows for a truly awesome cooling setup, and you can have it as good as your budget allows

Cost

All of these features cost a lot of money to manufacture so the Coolermaster stacker is not a cheap case, infact apart from the Mountan Mods cubes and some Lian Lis , it is near to the most expensive. However due to it being a year or two old now, and newer designs comign along to replace it soon, you can find one with a window for £110 easily, and without for £95. This is a lot to pay for a case but you really do get what you pay for in this case (no pun intended). the features are the best i have ever seen on a case and they will only be matched by the new stacker when it is available to buy.

Conclusion

This is one of the most expensive cases around, and certainly not the best looking, however it more than makes up for this in my opinion with its sheer and obscene functionality. It is a perfect case if you have a bit of money to spend, and dont mind sacrificing a bit of looks to ensure that their system remains stable and cool. It is also the ultimate case for a watercooling setup, all in all, highly recommended if you can afford it.

Looks- 7/10 Up for debate, but i reckon they are very nice
    Features- 10/10 So many you cant have them all
    Cooling- 10/10 The best around. full stop
    Value- 8/10 not cheap, but worth it

Total: Very good- 35/40

Bennywidag
    © 2005 http://www.cpcff.co.uk

blueball
    Yup agree with all that. I've had one for a while and it really is excellent. Lots of space to work inside it too

Registered+
    Thanks
    yeah, i have to say the best case i have ever owned.

also the only case i have ever owned, but there you go.

you cannot critisise it in terms of easy use though, so much space. and i like the looks although some dont.

blueball
    The thing that amazde me was that you can lift the whole motherboard out without having to remove anything else from the case, everything else is just kept well out of the way

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media
    Installing and removing hdds is a pain in the ass though, especially if you like to keep all your fan cables out the way as i do.

Xcelsion... In Disguise. Xaneden's Avatar
    Thanks
    Excellent review, I was debating on whether I should upgrade the case to a Stacker or a Centurion 5.... Think I've decided
    New Sig on the Way...

Thanks
    The case is totally excellent IMO. I like the look and the fact that its so huge and easy to work with. I'm getting an X2 4400+ and not dreading taking the motherboard out as its got so much room to manouver.

I was a little dissapointed with the quality of the window, but you can't have it all I spose
    Check my project <<| Black3D |>>
    Quote Originally Posted by hexah
    Games are developed by teams of talented people and sometimes electronic arts

blueball
    Quote Originally Posted by herulach
    Installing and removing hdds is a pain in the ass though, especially if you like to keep all your fan cables out the way as i do.
    Ah but the answer to that is to use one of these:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=212705

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kempez815
    I was a little dissapointed with the quality of the window, but you can't have it all I spose
    yeah, me too, it seems to be a bit too forward, as it shows the drive cage, which is uglyish, and not the rear of the internals, where my beauiful pump is, and it wouldnt take much for them to have fixed that. oh well.

the hdd is easy enough to install as long as you have a way of diconnecting the fans this side of the motherboard tray, so you can slide it out, then its the easiest way to install hdds i believe

Thanks
    • Daneel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87-Plus
      • CPU:
      • i7 4770k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 21TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R4
      • Operating System:
      • WIndows 10 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2415 24" 1920x1200
      • Internet:
      • 24/1.3Mb ADSL
    Thanks for the review, I'm no fan of the looks but I like Coolermaster quality (loved my old 201C) and functionaly it looks very good.

Banned
    Thanks
    The best case i have ever seen / used is the one i have now:

Coolermaster ATC201. Lovely to look at and superb to work on. A real piece of perfect engineering. They just don't make them like that anymore!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Koolpc
    The best case i have ever seen / used is the one i have now:

Coolermaster ATC201. Lovely to look at and superb to work on. A real piece of perfect engineering. They just don't make them like that anymore!
    No they literally dont.

I heard rumours that Silverstone have acquired some of CM's top designing bods
    Check my project <<| Black3D |>>
    Quote Originally Posted by hexah
    Games are developed by teams of talented people and sometimes electronic arts

Registered+
    Thanks
    I have this case.. Its all good

One snag tho.. those front bezels!

I've got no fingernails left from trying to unclip them, especially when the clip is obscured by the hdd caddy.

O and the first time I tried to fit the floppy drive I assembled it upside down LOL on those damn rails...

Thanks
    I also have this case, and I wholeheartedly agree, it's a great case. On the other hand, it is utterly and completely not a tool-less case; you will most certainly need tools to work with it. Not to mention, it's still not that easy to work with.

As an example, when you put in a PSU, you have to first screw it into the back plate, then get the PSU in, then align the backplate, before then screwing in the backplate. Not to mention, the two backplates with the fan holes are not interchangable - one is for the top, one for the bottom. This means, if you put knock out the round plates to put in fans, those fans are staying there staying there.

Speaking of which, knocking out those plates is an absolute mission (A tip - on the 3-to-4 harddrive bay modules, knocking out the plates can be done by placing a screwdriver in through the back of the bay against the edges of the plates, and then making one or two deft knocks on the head of the screwdriver with the sole of a boot). A lot of things with this case come down to technique. From removing the mesh blanking plates with the harddrive bay in place (Get a bay above or below your target open, then insert a flat screwdriver between the case and the plastic catch and pull on the blanking plate) to cleaning their dust filters (Much too complex to explain, sorry). And while the manual does indicate how most of it is assembled, it says nothing of these disassembly techniques. So for the most part, it's very careful trial and error.

That said, I still love this case. Even though I've filled all 11 bays (Three harddrive modules, which means I have to remove the DVD writer at the top to get to the first mesh blanking plate, and then work my way all the way down), I still wouldn't replace it. Not that I have too many options there, though.

Thanks
    those cases are very nice my friend has one and i was really impressed. Truly are worth the money

Registered+
    Thanks
    Awesome, swayed me into getting one, its huge!

Thread Information