Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metro 2033

Thanks

Metro 2033

Please refer to the sticky thread before you post in this thread.

This is your chance to tell us your opinion on Metro 2033.

Reviews will be published on the main gaming channel. We'll let you know in this thread when they go live.

Thanks!

Thanks
    • format's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6750 @ 3.2ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB GSkill PC8000
      • Storage:
      • WD500GB+750GB F1 + 250GB external drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce GTX260
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520w
      • Case:
      • Antec P182 + 3 x Nexus fans
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" DGM
      • Internet:
      • BeThere* Pro

Re: Metro 2033

Metro 2033

Platform : PC, Xbox 360.
    Genre: FPS
    Released : March 2010
    Developed: 4A Games
    Published : THQ

Code:
    Minimum:
    Dual core CPU (any Core 2 Duo or better will do)
    DirectX 9, Shader Model 3 compliant graphics cards (GeForce 8800, GeForce GT220 and above)
    1GB RAM

Recommended:
    Any Quad Core or 3.0+ GHz Dual Core CPU
    DirectX 10 compliant graphics card (GeForce GTX 260 and above)
    2GB RAM

Optimum:
    Core i7 CPU
    NVIDIA DirectX 11 compliant graphics card (GeForce GTX 480 and 470)
    As much RAM as possible (8GB+)
    Fast HDD or SSD
    Enabling 3D Vision Metro 2033 utilizes NVIDIA 3D Vision with compatible cards and hardware.

To play in 3D you will require:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275 and above recommended
    A 120Hz (or above) monitor
    NVIDIA 3D Vision kit
    Microsoft Windows Vista or Windows 7

Metro 2033 is a gripping action survival themed FPS game set in the grim post apocalyptic underground of Moscow. Throughout the game you play as Artyom, a young man raised in the tunnels. This underground world is populated by the survivors of a nuclear holocaust, as well a variety of mutated creatures and even paranormal forces.

The plot centers around Artyom and his quest to find help for his home station 'Exhibition', which is under threat from the evil forces known as the 'Dark Ones'. You travel from station to station, seeking allies and fighting enemies. The tunnels are strewn with corpses of both, and you often run into survivors requiring help to defend themselves. Each station has a different feel to it - some are dominated by Nazis or Communists, others are small, democratic societies. There is a satisfying ambience to the environment - the denizens of the game often discuss pre-war society, or the latest news from the tunnels. It lends a real sense that Artyom is just one small man in a big, bad world, and depicts a history of conflict tinged with the regret of a society doomed to dwell underground forever.

Tunnel dwellers huddle round the light

This bleak vision of the future is one of the most appealing parts of the game. 4A have invented a fascinating society in which there is evident scarcity of resources, and as a result, there is a real 'ad hoc' look to much of the game's dwellings and weapons. The bartering system is based on the trade of ammunition, which works as an extra incentive to both conserve ammunition and thoroughly search all areas of the game.

At times in the game you are required to travel above ground. The ruins of Moscow are in the grips of a nuclear winter, and the decaying city is equally as treacherous as the dark abyss which lies below. The atmosphere is poisoned, meaning that Artyom must don a gas mask when above ground. The filters on the gas mask do not last long, and the visor is easily breakable, lending a real sense of urgency to your surface forays.

The crumbling buildings of Moscow

The environment in Metro 2033 is well designed. Blood spatters, rusting rail carriages, and unstable surfaces litter the tunnels. Platforms and ladders can give way with only a few seconds of warning. Wire traps, broken glass and dangling cans are strategically placed to give the human enemies notice of your presence. Electric lights and gas lamps can be turned off, which can be a real advantage to those wishing to utilise a more stealthy strategy (something facilitated by night vision goggles!). Often, this kind of approach can pay off - it can be easier to sneak round certain enemies and save ammunition rather than going in guns blazing. When the faster tunnel dwelling beasts charge at you, you will be glad of the extra bullets.

Who knows what beasties lurk in the darkness?

Metro 2033 is perhaps not quite as perfect as you may have concluded by now.
    It is unfortunately let down by a few points, chief among which is the game's apparent problems with it's graphics engine. At several times throughout the game, it would crash to desktop, often when there were several large explosions at once.
    The AI can be a little illogical at times. At one point, a guard could see Artyom through a large swathe of dark tunnel, with no torch and no NVGs. At another, a soldier with identical equipment did not notice Artyom crouching directly beside him.
    The introduction of PhysX has been poorly implemented too. Items such as chairs and wooden slats often ping about a room as if caught in a explosion after Artyom has brushed by them.
    The damage system is also flawed. On some occasions, a human enemy could take several rounds to the chest and head and still be standing. On others, it would only take a single shot to the head to kill.
    However, these are all only small errors, and can mostly likely be patched out of the game in future updates or driver releases. They are far from game breaking and should not get in the way of you enjoying this atmospheric shooter.

SCORE OUT OF 10: 8.5
    SKIP, BUY OR RENT?: Buy
    ~'Armaments, universal debt, and planned obsolescence--those are the three pillars of Western prosperity'~ Aldous Huxley

3. Received thanks from:

Steven W (22-03-2010)

Thanks
    • format's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 4GB GSkill PC8000
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce GTX260
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" DGM
      • Internet:
      • BeThere* Pro

This is my first review so be kind!
    ~'Armaments, universal debt, and planned obsolescence--those are the three pillars of Western prosperity'~ Aldous Huxley

Thanks

Really good review , good to see someone go in to detail with a review , must be good . Thank you .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by format View Post

Metro 2033

Platform : PC, Xbox 360.
    Genre: FPS
    Released : March 2010
    Developed: 4A Games
    Published : THQ

Code:
    Minimum:
    Dual core CPU (any Core 2 Duo or better will do)
    DirectX 9, Shader Model 3 compliant graphics cards (GeForce 8800, GeForce GT220 and above)
    1GB RAM

Recommended:
    Any Quad Core or 3.0+ GHz Dual Core CPU
    DirectX 10 compliant graphics card (GeForce GTX 260 and above)
    2GB RAM

Optimum:
    Core i7 CPU
    NVIDIA DirectX 11 compliant graphics card (GeForce GTX 480 and 470)
    As much RAM as possible (8GB+)
    Fast HDD or SSD
    Enabling 3D Vision Metro 2033 utilizes NVIDIA 3D Vision with compatible cards and hardware.

To play in 3D you will require:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275 and above recommended
    A 120Hz (or above) monitor
    NVIDIA 3D Vision kit
    Microsoft Windows Vista or Windows 7

Metro 2033 is a gripping action survival themed FPS game set in the grim post apocalyptic underground of Moscow. Throughout the game you play as Artyom, a young man raised in the tunnels. This underground world is populated by the survivors of a nuclear holocaust, as well a variety of mutated creatures and even paranormal forces.

The plot centers around Artyom and his quest to find help for his home station 'Exhibition', which is under threat from the evil forces known as the 'Dark Ones'. You travel from station to station, seeking allies and fighting enemies. The tunnels are strewn with corpses of both, and you often run into survivors requiring help to defend themselves. Each station has a different feel to it - some are dominated by Nazis or Communists, others are small, democratic societies. There is a satisfying ambience to the environment - the denizens of the game often discuss pre-war society, or the latest news from the tunnels. It lends a real sense that Artyom is just one small man in a big, bad world, and depicts a history of conflict tinged with the regret of a society doomed to dwell underground forever.

Tunnel dwellers huddle round the light

This bleak vision of the future is one of the most appealing parts of the game. 4A have invented a fascinating society in which there is evident scarcity of resources, and as a result, there is a real 'ad hoc' look to much of the game's dwellings and weapons. The bartering system is based on the trade of ammunition, which works as an extra incentive to both conserve ammunition and thoroughly search all areas of the game.

At times in the game you are required to travel above ground. The ruins of Moscow are in the grips of a nuclear winter, and the decaying city is equally as treacherous as the dark abyss which lies below. The atmosphere is poisoned, meaning that Artyom must don a gas mask when above ground. The filters on the gas mask do not last long, and the visor is easily breakable, lending a real sense of urgency to your surface forays.

The crumbling buildings of Moscow

The environment in Metro 2033 is well designed. Blood spatters, rusting rail carriages, and unstable surfaces litter the tunnels. Platforms and ladders can give way with only a few seconds of warning. Wire traps, broken glass and dangling cans are strategically placed to give the human enemies notice of your presence. Electric lights and gas lamps can be turned off, which can be a real advantage to those wishing to utilise a more stealthy strategy (something facilitated by night vision goggles!). Often, this kind of approach can pay off - it can be easier to sneak round certain enemies and save ammunition rather than going in guns blazing. When the faster tunnel dwelling beasts charge at you, you will be glad of the extra bullets.

Who knows what beasties lurk in the darkness?

Metro 2033 is perhaps not quite as perfect as you may have concluded by now.
    It is unfortunately let down by a few points, chief among which is the game's apparent problems with it's graphics engine. At several times throughout the game, it would crash to desktop, often when there were several large explosions at once.
    The AI can be a little illogical at times. At one point, a guard could see Artyom through a large swathe of dark tunnel, with no torch and no NVGs. At another, a soldier with identical equipment did not notice Artyom crouching directly beside him.
    The introduction of PhysX has been poorly implemented too. Items such as chairs and wooden slats often ping about a room as if caught in a explosion after Artyom has brushed by them.
    The damage system is also flawed. On some occasions, a human enemy could take several rounds to the chest and head and still be standing. On others, it would only take a single shot to the head to kill.
    However, these are all only small errors, and can mostly likely be patched out of the game in future updates or driver releases. They are far from game breaking and should not get in the way of you enjoying this atmospheric shooter.

SCORE OUT OF 10: 8.5
    SKIP, BUY OR RENT?: Buy
    Nice review, and you beat me to it!

I'll get this up on the site this afternoon with any luck.

7. Received thanks from:

format (22-03-2010)

Thanks
    • format's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 4GB GSkill PC8000
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce GTX260
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" DGM
      • Internet:
      • BeThere* Pro

There's a slight spelling mistake on shenanigans on the first page

Other than that, thanks!

Banned
    Thanks
    • matty-hodgson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Dark Raider
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 4GHz (59'C Under a TRUE Black)
      • Memory:
      • 4GB OCZ DDR2 890MHz (5-4-4-15)
      • Storage:
      • Intel 80GB - Games. Intel 80GB - OS. 1TB Samsung - Storage.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Zotac GTX 275: 728 Core, 1614 Shader, 1340 Memory
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU82+ 625w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SM2343BW (2048x1152)
      • Internet:
      • Smallworld 4Mbps

Good review Format, was a good read .

11. Received thanks from:

format (22-03-2010)

Thanks
    • format's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 4GB GSkill PC8000
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce GTX260
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" DGM
      • Internet:
      • BeThere* Pro

Cheers mate, first of many I hope

Banned
    Thanks
    • matty-hodgson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Dark Raider
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU82+ 625w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Smallworld 4Mbps

Quote Originally Posted by format View Post
    Cheers mate, first of many I hope
    Yeah, it's fun writing the game reviews .

@ Steven W - Are you still considering sending out games to people who regularly post the game reviews? Would be a nice incentive for people to write the reviews .

Formerly known as Zap. Stephen C's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Stephen C's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P4C800 E Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • P4 3.4ghz @ 4.01ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS Pro LL @ 2-3-3-6
      • Storage:
      • 120gb Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI HD3850
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type R
      • Case:
      • Chieftec Ultra Dragon
      • Operating System:
      • XP
      • Monitor(s):
      • 20WGX2
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 30mb

Nice one, was looking for a decent review from an actual gamer before I went out and picked this up.
    On another note, I wouldn't mind if anyone has any constructive criticism on my reviews, interested to know what and where to improve.
    (Obviously not in this thread).
    Last edited by Stephen C; 23-03-2010 at 12:47 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by matty-hodgson View Post
    Yeah, it's fun writing the game reviews .

@ Steven W - Are you still considering sending out games to people who regularly post the game reviews? Would be a nice incentive for people to write the reviews .
    Keep an eye out in the User Review forum. I will, when I get extra games in, contact regular contributors to see if they want to review a particular game, or on occasions I may post on the User Review forums to see if anyone wants to grab it first.

Thanks

So did many people play this? It's only £13 from shopto (I think) so I was thinking of picking it up.

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

I grabbed it off Steam a little while ago. Enjoyable, although not what I expected. From the info I saw previously (never looked into it in much detail) I thought it would be similar to Fallout 3, but thus far it's just been a rail-shooter.

Nonetheless, it seems fairly decent. Bit late to write a review (!) but I'll probably get going on it again in a week or two's time - Red Dead Redemption has halted my PC gaming for the time being. Based on my experience so far, £13 is well worth it, but I've no idea what I'll think once I've finished it. Can't help but feel I've only scratched the surface.

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

I did get metro2033 in the end, awesome i enjoyed it more than fallout 3!. mHowever it is difference, as snooty said its a rail shooter with little free roaming unlike fallout. But for me they did it very well, the story was good and the action was challenging.

The only negative about this game is that its gpu intensive, worse than crysis as i only managed to get like low/medium @1680x1050 on a 4850, about 30-35FPS at those settings. And the graphics arent as good as crysis so its pretty annoying how it can be more demanding, they are still pretty good and well above average .

The story isnt as long as it could be really, i think i finished it in like 6 or 8 hours but then its more than most SP games now a days. Its certainly worth £13, id happily pay £20 for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

Banned
    Thanks
    • matty-hodgson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Dark Raider
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU82+ 625w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Smallworld 4Mbps

Definitely worth £13. Go for it!

Does anyone want to write an Alien Swarm review in this forum section? I opened up the thread but no-one's posted any . I thought it'd be really popular with it being free and short.

Thread Information