Thread: Alpha Protocol (PC Version) Not worth buying

Thanks
    • Jonessie's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage II Extreme, Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920, D0 SLBEJ S1366, Bloomfield, 2.66 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x6GB (3x2GB) Corsair Dominator GT, DDR3 PC3-14900 (1866)
      • Storage:
      • 2TB SATA SEAGATE
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2x1GB Sapphire HD 5870, PCI-E 2.0, 4800MHz GDDR5, GPU 850MHz, Crossfire
      • PSU:
      • ENERMAX REVOLUTION 850W
      • Case:
      • ThermalTake SPEDO Advanced Package
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell SP2309W (HDMI) 2048x1152
      • Internet:
      • VM 50MB Broadband :)

Alpha Protocol (PC Version) Not worth buying

The Unreal 3 Engine is one of the most promising engines of the 21st Century. Although it does depend on the developers on how they use the engine to develop a game. Obsidian Entertainment are usually good developers, although I don’t really know what went wrong with the development of Alpha Protocol. It’s as though they sort of lost interest half way through developing the game and completely lost the plot. The game itself is like having a puzzle the size of a banquet table with about 500 of the pieces missing. The graphics are shoddy and terribly blocky even with all the settings set to high they are dreadful.

Shooting the bad guys is like taking down an elephant, even after emptying a full clip into them they are still standing. The realism was not on the menu when they developed this game, was it. I found the only quick way of killing them is a headshot, and they drop like a sack of potatoes. What I don’t understand, is the Unreal Engine 3 which was used in the development of this game is the same engine used to develop Mass Effect 2 and Splinter Cell Conviction and they are well developed games. OK granted there are a few niggles here and there with the games but they are well developed. So where did the developers at Obsidian Entertainment go so wrong with the PC version, because... it is just abysmal. I don’t think I have ever seen such a poorly developed game as Alpha Protocol. I played the game for about 40 minutes and could not take it anymore, because of the shoddy blocky graphics.

I tested the game on two machines, one running Windows Vista and the other running Windows 7. The Windows 7 machine is a brand new build, only last week I finished building the new rig as I had to wait for parts. The Windows 7 Machine has SSD drives with Intel 7 Core including Crossfire HIS 5870. Mass Effect 2 and Splinter Cell Conviction run very well and faster than a speeding bullet, crisp clean HD graphics. Alpha Protocol runs very well. All the settings are up high, you would expect the resolution being set at 2048 x 1152, and you would be crisp and clear with no blocky frames. Not with the PC version of Alpha Protocol. It was so bad I played the game for 40 minutes and gave up because I could not stand the poor graphics and poor development anymore. Some viewers have given Alpha Protocol 8.4 out of 10…? I find it hard to even get beyond 4 out of 10 so I am going for 4.5 out of 10. How can some people state this is what Splinter Cell Conviction should have been, is both inane and unjustified. Not worth the price tag of £39.99 thankfully Game where selling this with £20.00 off so I only paid £19.99. I would have been really cross if I would have paid in store price of £39.99.

Pros: Unreal Engine 3, and how your actions predict on the outcome of the game, based around Mass Effect 2.

Cons: Blotchy and blocky graphics, the cover and screenshots do not add up to the game. PC version is poorly developed and not worth the £39.99 price tag.

JONESSIE
    Never use an iPod Touch to type because you need fingers like chopsticks.

2. Received thanks from:

Steven W (31-05-2010)

Thanks

Re: Alpha Protocol (PC Version) Not worth buying

Cheers for the review. Been playing this myself but the PS3 version and I'm largely very disappointed.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Alpha Protocol (PC Version) Not worth buying

I was just starting to condsider purchasing this title, as its price point is now quite low.

However, I am pleased that you shared your thoughts.

Next ...

Thread Information