Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doom III.

Banned
    Thanks

Doom III.

<Doom III - The Adventure Into Darkness Begins>

1993; the year of release for PC shooter DOOM, a true classic in every regard. Atmospheric, superb graphics for the time, and hours of top-notch game play. Spin on 11 years, and ID software has just released the remake of its flagship game in the shape of Doom III. John Carmack, head honcho of ID has made it clear that Doom III is what he always visualised the original Doom to be, and the remake has given him and his team the chance to show the game in its true form.

This really, getting straight to the point, is perhaps what flaws Doom III from the start – it’s a remake of a game from 1993. Now, if you are going to remake a game from 1993, obviously the game will look far better running on the X800XT powered systems of today, than it did on the once powerful 486 systems of yesteryear, however, it seems the game play, once cutting edge, but certainly not anymore, has been recreated as well, this is what John Carmack set out to do after all.

The problem is, this is game play from the early years of first-person-shooters, when 15 hours of nothing more than running around dark tunnels, mindlessly blasting anything that gets in your way, was acceptable; more than acceptable, it was what gamers wanted. Alas, the same simple, mindless blasting doesn’t really cut it in 2004, with FarCry still fresh in many gamer’s minds.

In many ways, had Doom III been a completely new game, and ID had the freedom to develop the game play as well as the graphics engine, then it could have been a real classic, in fact, had this game played as good as it looks, we would be talking about one of the finest games of all time, because it looks sublime.

<Nice Place. And Yes, It Is Always That Dark>

The entire experience, from a visual and audio point-of-view, is without equal at the moment. FarCry was beautiful, with immense outdoor environments, lapping ocean waves on a golden beach and rich, deep forests. Doom III couldn’t be more different; dark futuristic corridors, filthy maintenance shafts, and later on in the game, Hell itself, are all brought to life with a quality of graphics not seen before.

The special effects are equally as impressive; a simple fire fight between your Marine and an Imp (one of the many monsters you’ll meet on your way to Hell), is a joy to watch, as the blue plasma balls of your Plasma Rifle crash into the orange balls of energy the Imp throws. The dynamic shadows, particle effects and beautifully lit surroundings (one of the few times they are lit in any way) are simply breathtaking.

<I Can See You Fatso>

The atmosphere in-game during Doom III is also without equal, surpassing the Resident Evil series of games, if only due to the quality of the visuals heightening the shock; all the old cheap shots are here, Imps jumping out from dark corners, far off noises, dead bodies falling from vents, the works. Some work and proceed to make you jump out of your skin, others, mainly due to being overused, leave you less shaken.

So, looks brilliant, feels great, creates a realistic and genuinely scary playing environment… must be a classic then, right? Wrong.

As stated before, there is an element of the game which isn’t so impressive, namely the game play. You soon realise, about 5 or 6 levels into the Doom III experience, that pretty much, that’s it. You’ve seen the game running, know how great it looks and how often it makes you jump, but there’s nothing more to come. Because this is an attempt to remake Doom, complete with Doom’s game play, all you do is walk around (very nice looking) corridors shooting (very nice looking) monsters with (very nice looking) weapons. Nothing more, nothing less.

<It's A Laser. A Big Laser>

After a while, you are hoping the game will offer up something more; the puzzle element, which goes no deeper than reading PDAs you find scattered around and using them to gain access codes to locked doors and weapons storage lockers, could have been expanded upon to include Resident Evil style logic puzzles. There could have been so much more, but again, as this is a remake, it’s almost as if the team at ID didn’t want to expand on it, as then it wouldn’t be Doom.

So no puzzle element, no real depth, in fact not much of anything, apart from mindless blasting. Every two or three levels a new weapon will be introduced, and then two or three levels later a new enemy to shoot with your new weapon, and this continues until the end of the game. All the levels, with the exception of a trip to Hell later on, look pretty much the same, and once completed it will leave all but the most devoted Doom fan wondering why they didn’t do so much more with the game.

Very much a case of a game engine from 2004 and game play from 1993. Flawlessly presented and breathtaking to watch, whilst being tedious and dull to play. The AI suffers from exactly the same faults; they look amazing, but they behave like enemies from a long gone age of FPS games. Whenever a Marine appears, it can be dispatched by simply walking around a corner, readying your weapon of choice, and waiting for it to obligingly walk around the corner into your line of site.

Imps simply stand in front of you, throwing fireballs, which are easily sidestepped, as you gun them down with ease. Compared to the squad tactics used by the mercenaries in FarCry, this is a massive step backwards.

<Kez Hard At Work In The Hexus Control Room - Mars Alpha Labs>

In short, Doom III could have been an all-time classic, if it was a loose remake, set in the Doom universe, but not an attempt to remake the game almost exactly as it was all those years ago, with a new graphics engine. If only the puzzle element was expanded, the AI more intelligent and the levels not simply a tedious trek through another set of dark tunnels, just like the level before, and the level before, and the 10 levels before that.

If you can get hold of a copy, and you have the system to play it, its probably worth a quick game, late at night, with the sound up and the lights off; at least that way you might make it half way through the game before the novelty of the eye candy and the atmospheric setting wear off, and you start to get bored with the shallow, uninteresting game play.

The Star... In The Toilets... With A Torch>

Overall, a big disappointment, but it does at least show us what to expect from a visual point of view, from the current crop of next gen first person shooters nearing release; if Half Life II or STALKER look half as good as Doom III, and can improve on its flawed, overly simplistic game play, then all will be well.

85%
    Last edited by Stewart; 31-08-2004 at 02:07 PM.

Thanks
    • Allen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VIII Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 6600K
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4-3000
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 (OS) + 2 x 512GB Samsung 960 EVO in RAID 0 (Games)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC
      • PSU:
      • XFX P1-650X-NLG9 XXX 650W Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Node 804
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" BenQ XL2730Z + 23" Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mbps
    So it's visually stunning, but as challenging as stopping lemmings throwing themselves off the cliffs in level 1?

I hope HL2 isn't this disappointing.
    Last edited by Allen; 31-08-2004 at 02:09 PM.

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    What Vaul said but 75% overall (The graphics actually aren't all that marvellous IMHO)
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    Overall, a big disappointment, but it does at least show us what to expect from a visual point of view, from the current crop of next gen first person shooters nearing release; if Half Life II or STALKER look half as good as Doom III, and can improve on its flawed, overly simplistic game play, then all will be well.

85%
    Magazine-style generousity with that score I think. Engine 85%, game 60%. I do feel a little bit harsh though, since it has some wonderfully involving (atmosphere wise) moments... just a shame those moments are split up by fairly tedious gaming.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaul

<Kez Hard At Work In The Hexus Control Room - Mars Alpha Labs>
    When did you take that pic? I didn't see you!

It's a great engine, but the game itself could have been better.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Richard Allen Evans mr_anderson187's Avatar
    Thanks
    u mustve noticed him lol, doom3 is that dark youd need a flash to take that picture, u mustve seen him
    Under Development...

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoo
    (The graphics actually aren't all that marvellous IMHO)
    I agree. I was far more impressed with Far Cry's graphics. Just looks more luscious. The same goes for the audio too. Far Cry's audio hits harder and is more ambient.
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

Thanks
    Sold my copy about a week after I got it.

Banned
    Thanks
    Well, I finshed it, checked back over my save games, it took me 18 days. Not because it was hard, as for the vast majority of the game it wasn't, there were just week long gaps between one game and the next; I played a bit when I was at a loose end.

Just didn't hold me. The constant blackness, constant walking around tunnels shooting very basic AI enemies. Everything about the game is so bog standard - a pistol, a machine gun and a rocket launcher... well, how did they come up with that then?

Even the new weapon, the Soul Cube is just a smart bomb, hardly a new idea.

All the bosses, with the exception of the Guardian required no tactical thought at all - 'shoot them until you die', and the Guardian? Well, you shoot some flying things first, then shoot the Guardian until it dies.

Apart from the visual experiance, there is no reason at all to play this game - it brings nothing new to the table, just puts a nice table cloth on it.

Un-Official HEXUS CS:S Clan Member/ajbruns man! Daymonkey's Avatar
    Thanks
    i am going to get doom 3 soon but to be honest i think you are being a bit ott about it being dark , if its in the dark then its gonna be dark thats all i can say

Irc Channels To Join(Quakenet), #hexus.cs, #hexus.net

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    Nope, that's the sad thing, we're not being OTT at all, the single player maps are just like that.

While at the fatality event in London there was a slightly lighter one on one map used for the contest, and to be honest, if you were interested in a *good* multiplayer FPS there are a miriad that just simply do it so much better.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    • Allen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VIII Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 6600K
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4-3000
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 (OS) + 2 x 512GB Samsung 960 EVO in RAID 0 (Games)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC
      • PSU:
      • XFX P1-650X-NLG9 XXX 650W Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Node 804
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" BenQ XL2730Z + 23" Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mbps
    Yeah, I played a little at the Fatil1ty event. Looked good, in fact it looked amazing, but when playing in daylight like that, you couldn't see anything!!

I certainly wouldn't part with my hard earned cash for it. Roll on HL2.

Thanks
    I've never played the original doom games so i wasnt hyped about it in the slightest tbh. Tried it out at my cousins house and i have to say i agree with vaul all the way, scares were overdone, shooting was above average, and besides graphics, there's nothing revolutionary.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klarrix
    i agree with vaul all the way
    You'll go far my boy.

I was going to try out some of the mods, but I can't be bothered installing it again...

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    I was shocked today, I looked in a magazine and they only gave it 7/10.. Well done Gamers for not wetting themselves over the hype and giving it 9 or 10 out of 10, maybe there is some hope for the gaming press after all..
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

OMG!! PWND!!
    Thanks
    Well, if the game was ment to be a mercieless killing spree where zombies aimlessley walk into your bullets.. 10/10

But personally i give it 7.5/10
    Looks great, but without the spawn cheats, the game would be no fun at all

Thread Information