Thread: MX3100 Combo (MX1000 and Wireles Keyboard)

Thanks

MX3100 Combo (MX1000 and Wireles Keyboard)

Some of you may already have seen this in the Bargains section but here it is for all who don't venture there:

First Impressions:

I drove home and set it up.

Firstly the keyboard is fairly heavy which is a very nice feeling compared to the old Dell thing I used to have which was stupidly light.
    The keyboard itself has a deluge of buttons, some of which I still don't know what to do with. There are zooming in buttons for IE and Firefox, Fast Foward, Scroll, My Documents etc. There are quite a few useful ones but some of them are going slightly into overkill such as Burning CD's directly from the keyboard.
    It basically has every key which you could ever need to use on the keyboard itself. The range of both the keyboard and mouse is much better than the MX700 (I use a TFT)

One of my favourite things about the keyboard is just how quiet the keys are when typing, compared to my Dell Black one they are around 40% of the noise that it was.
    The Matching blue finish of both the mouse and keyboard makes your desktop look that much better and classy. If you want to impress some people buy this purely because of looks.
    There are so many features of the keyboard it is hard to list, some of them I admit are going into overkill but they are nice to be there all the same.

The Connection isssue is simple, you can either have one connector which branches off into 2 x PS2 ports or just one USB which works exactly the same. I have it in the PS2 ports due to not having many USB ports in the first place.

My only Gripe about the keyboard is that the Letters/Numbers seem to be stuck on (very well) so they arn't actually printed on the keys. You only notice this in very Bright Light though

The Mouse

You have probably heard all about the MX1000 itself, its the world's first laser mouse. The main surprising thing I found out about it is that when you look underneath there is no red light which may save on power in some way?
    The mouse itself feels very solid and very comfortable, it follows the folds and dips of your hand perfectly. There is a battery indicator so you know when to charge it up, unlike the one flashing red LED of the MX700.

There is also the useful tilt function so that you can scroll from side to side aswell as backwards and fowards.

Basically the mouse is incredibly confortable and very solid. Ontop of this it looks incredible:

The receiever for the keyboard and mouse in my view is a little plasticy and not as heavy as I would like it. Of Course it is nice and shiny but it just feels a bit thin, Im sure you will hardly ever touch this but just when I was taking it out of the box I felt it.

After Use

After doing a bit of browsing the desktop I decided to play a little Soldier of Fortune 2. I think it will take me some time to get used to the feel of the mouse. My wrist felt a bit cramped after using the mouse for a while but I think it may have been due to the mouse being on my lap.

Basically it will probably be the best looking mouse and keyboard out there.

Added to this the performance and functions of the mouse + keyboard I have to recommend this. I used to use an MX700, I cannot say I have seen any increase in accuracy or anything but its just more comfortable. I wouldn't suggest an upgrade to the MX1000 mouse alone though. I used to have a wired keyboard with just the basics, this new keyboard is everything I could want. It will save me having to buy a remote control when watching films as I can change the volume, fast foward and pause on the keyboard itself.

A single upgrade to the MX1000 probably isn't worth it but buy the bundle now!! Added to this it comes with a 5 Year Warranty makes it incredible. Logitech's support is the best I have ever encountered, I blew up my old MX700 Plug point as I bought it from the USA and they sent a replacement out free of charge the next day.
    Last edited by alexander; 26-10-2006 at 03:38 PM.

Thanks
    • BenW's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Dual SATA2
      • CPU:
      • AMD64 3500+
      • Memory:
      • 1GB Crucial DDR
      • Storage:
      • 160GB Samsung 8MB Cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon HD 3850
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S12 600W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ-04
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 17" Ultrasharp
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 8Mb
    I have had the MX1000 for a few months now, truely awesome mouse! I spilt a glass of water on my old dell keyboard about a week back which made several keys redundant so went out and bought the logitech media keyboard this weekend for £15

From the looks/buttons i think its a more basic version of what you have and its wired. Great little keyboard, nice set of media buttons in the middle that can be used with WMP/Winamp etc. All the normal f mode buttons, calc button, sleep button, email, msn, favorites, home page, search, forward, back. All that for £15 and its feels nice too. Would have liked something with a firmer key press but its quiet

Thanks
    It's a laser and there are no red laser beams flying around so you don't burn your eyes. Safety rather than power saving.

Thanks
    The greatest thing in my mind about the mouse is the button version of alt-tab, click the side button with your thumb and scroll through the windows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Errr...me
    I MSN offline people
    6014 3DMk 05

Thanks
    Is there any noticable lag when playing FPS's etc or when using them from a distance?

TcQi

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by =TcQi=
    Is there any noticable lag when playing FPS's etc or when using them from a distance?

TcQi

Not atall.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alexander
    Not atall.
    Agree with that, although the accuray does make it a bit fiddly at first
    Quote Originally Posted by Errr...me
    I MSN offline people
    6014 3DMk 05

Thanks
    I have an MX1000 mouse and think it's the bee's knee's, i highly recommend it. But the Logitech keyboards are just getting far to big and bulky for my liking. I'm not sure i need all those buttons either, they don't really give me much of a speed increase over using my well organised menus and desktop. Think I am going to get one of those nice compact dell ones for £12.

Nice review btw.

Slightly Trigger Happy
    Thanks
    i have a standard logitech keyboard and its perfect and it was only £7. and also i like seeing the red (or blue if you like modding) light under the mouse when you use it.
    your computer is similar to a fridge in that if it cannot keep a beer cold then it sucks

Nox
    Vorsprung durch Technik
    Thanks
    • Nox's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Yes
      • CPU:
      • Yes
      • Memory:
      • Yes
      • Storage:
      • Yes
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Yes
      • PSU:
      • Yes
      • Case:
      • Yes
      • Monitor(s):
      • Yes
      • Internet:
      • Yes
    Got this combo now too - think its great. Prefer it over my broken Dinovo.

Nox

Thanks
    Just as a quick update to this thread, PC World are now knocking this combo out for just £65.29

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/product.php?sku=855347

HTH - Rufus.

Thanks
    Battery life on my MX1000 mouse which was supplied as part of the MX3100 combo is no where near as good as the battery life of the standalone MX1000 i purchased before the MX3100 combo was released.

Maybe a fault praps?

l8rs
    Jon

Thanks
    Hey!

I am trying to purchace this product (online or at a shop). Does anyone know of anywhere where this is sold still?

Thanks

Thanks
    logitech arranged to send me the 3100 out to replace my MX5000 which i was having issues with. it took about 3months to arrive simply because they didnt have any stock and that was from logitech themselves! :s

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ed^chigliak
    It's a laser and there are no red laser beams flying around so you don't burn your eyes. Safety rather than power saving.
    The laser in the MX1000 is harmless. It has nothing to do with safety.

Thanks
    Excellent review, Will be ordering my bundle on monday. Currently have a mx700 and cheapo keyboard so should notice a difference

Thread Information