• LG 22" W2261VP

Thumbs up [Build Log] Corsair 250D

Start of Build log

Current Items - So you know this is still active

Intel Xeon 1230V3
    Coolermaster VS450W Gold
    Corsair H75
    Sharkoon Shark Blade 120MM X2

Just a peek at the fans - I have tried them out and I can gather 2 things. I tested it out by placing the fans onto the H75 radiator and giving myself an idea of how much air is coming through. I did this with the AF120mm too (54CFM @ 2.8 mmH20)

1) They definitely have good static pressure considering they only push 33 CFM.
    2) Stupidly quiet, 1000RPM. They could easily be ran straight from the PSU.

I'll be testing these things out when the H75 is installed by using the stock AF120 Corsair fan and then these fans. So take the specs with a grain of salt.

They do look wonderful though, I will show them spinning soon enough

Components 2

Parts coming in, the GPU and RAM are existing but very new. Chassis is on its way so for now here are some more parts

I apologise for the low quality images, my camera sucks in low light.

MSI B85i Gaming

Very nice board, feels solid and of high quality. Cheap chipset with all the "Gaming" series goodies, Audio Booster which goes along with the Realtek ACL1150 codec. "Low ping" gaming ports (meh, lower polling rates). Sound Blaster Cinema software solution which I've tried - Gives the bland Realtek some software loving. 8-pin EPS with 4+2 super choke for good voltage regulation. MOSFETs are covered with the nice MSI dragon heatsink (which from experience keeps it nice and cool). Thumbs up for MSI here. No wireless adapter so a spare mini half PCIe slot available. 2x 4-pin headers next to each other.

Corsair H75

Specs suggest it is around 19mm thin, so will fit no problem. What may be a concern is that I may only be able to use it with 1 fan. We shall see you all know the stock fans, but I won't be using those. Only in my testing I will.

Aerocool Dark Force 200mm

Why'd I choose this over their silent master series? The specifications show it has a higher static pressure (@ 1.1mmH20); of course take this with a grain of salt. Either why the Corsair 250D air openings are slim so higher static pressure is key to getting some fresh air into the case through the front.

G.Skill RipJaws X 2133Mhz CL11

Existing since last build. It'll run at 1600Mhz loose timings so not ideal. I'd suggest some tighter 1600Mhz set such as Corsair's Vengeance LP, but hey

Powercolor TurboDuo R9 280X 3GB

Nice colour theme however dual fans should be ideal for the large vent on the side of Corsair 250D. Eats about 250W. Ouch.
    Don't ask how my wrist is in that position.

Coolermaster V450S Gold

Backed up a 5 year warranty, so if they trust it I trust it. Gold, made by Enhance Electronics. Either way what I like about it, single cable for the dual PCI-E 6/8-pin cables.

Also the modular cables are flat, perfect for hiding them.

Itching to get going
    "If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0" ||| "I'm not interrupting you, I'm putting our conversation in full-duplex mode" ||| "The problem with UDP joke: I don't get half of them"
    "I’d tell you the one about the CIDR block, but you’re too classy" ||| "There’s no place like 127.0.0.1" ||| "I made an NTP joke once. The timing was perfect."
    "In high society, TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake."

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Re: [Build Log] Corsair 250D

Looking forward to the rest of it mate

Thanks

More blurry pictures please

Thanks
    • mikeo01's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85i Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230V3
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill RipJaws 2133MHZ
      • Storage:
      • Plextor M5S 128GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • VTX3D R9 290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster VS450
      • Case:
      • Corsair 250D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 PRO, Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" W2261VP

Corsair 250D

Case arrived yesterday; first thoughts? It is much smaller coming from a mid-sized case. Love the cube design as it is "box" like all round giving it a very cube style. Makes it look a lot smaller than it actually is.

Case

Features

Before going further I'd like to point of these "dust" filters - they aren't the best I've dealt with. Due to the design of them they "crease" so they are not flat giving it an imbalance. I'd probably guess it may effect airflow slightly, nevertheless it should filter all but the finer dust. I'd rather the filters be a bit more thick however.

Inside

Inside the case however is quite spacious. That area in the front is really where the space happens. Now, I'm not sure why it is "so" large but you can sure stuff a lot of cables there. Wouldn't recommend it as you'd really want those lower hard drives to get some air from the front fan.

My PSU is semi-modular so cable mess wasn't an issue. It is those peasky front I/O cables and thick USB cables that make it cluttered. I'd of liked Corsair to use flatter cables here or have them slightly longer to route behind the HDD cage and up through the (tiny) space next to the rear most 120mm fan mount rather than having to route it over the RAM area.

Hydro coolers will fit fine, the single fan radiators will be fine however like mentioned in many threads you won't be able to use both a 200mm fan and a H100. Why? Because the tubing will have to bend pretty darn awkwardly to get around the front fan. So ideally a 140mm fan should be used if using a larger radiator.

That said my H75 fits fine because of the downwards tubing design.

Installation

As you can see the hard drives are pretty close together, however I am seeing very low temperatures here thanks to 1) front intake fan 2) meshed back to allow heat to expel out. My Samsung SpinPoint F1 is running at 24-25c and my Seagate ST1000 is running at 27c. Not bad considering there is little airflow here. I am happy that Corsair has chose to completely segment the cage.

One thing I'd like to point out is why on earth did they choose thin plastic which you need to bend in order to get the HDDs in. Older larger HDDs will need a good push in which I am worried after time due to wear the mounting bracket will snap.

Also, "tooless?" I don't think so, the tooless design is 4 flimsy make shift screws on the bracket for holding the HDDs in place. However, as I said, "flimsy", they actually bend if you don't align them in the holes properly. So I can't see them lasting long if you like to take HDDs in and out regularly.

MB Installation

As you'll see there is a lot of room, especially to the side of the motherboard. I found when installing (see further down) there was a large gap between the 120mm fan and the motherboard which makes installing that bit easier.

Installing Everything in

Apologies for the slight blurr. Everything in. You'll see that because of the headers on the motherboard I had to run most of the cables over the motherboard to reach them (boo). So it isn't too clean looking, but that can't really be avoided.

There is plenty of room in the front (and also in front of the PSU) to stuff cables so if you don't have a large PSU cable management will be easy peasy. Due to my excitement I didn't bother trying to get all the cables completely neat as you won't see them when the top panel is on. Most of the cables is stuffed by the PSU (so the front fan actually blows onto the front of the PSU? Odd design choice, should be a bit raised for air coolers).

Kept the red colour scheme going, really like those Sharkoon Shark Blade fans look very good inside.

GPU

Idling this card runs at 28c at the moment which is stupidly cold. Thanks to that large vent I suspect the card will run perfect; however I bet that GPU fan will be audible due to the vent which is a bad point.

Second image shows the small space for the PCI-E cables to route using the 5.25" adapter for optical drives. This needs to be installed... unless you like a wobbly case. Bit surprised for a Corsair case to actually be unsecure when a part is taken out. They should of made the frame sturdier rather than having to use the 5.25" bay to hold everything in place. It gets in the way if you don't use an optical drive. So -1 there!

Last edited by mikeo01; 25-05-2014 at 08:56 PM.
    "If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0" ||| "I'm not interrupting you, I'm putting our conversation in full-duplex mode" ||| "The problem with UDP joke: I don't get half of them"
    "I’d tell you the one about the CIDR block, but you’re too classy" ||| "There’s no place like 127.0.0.1" ||| "I made an NTP joke once. The timing was perfect."
    "In high society, TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake."

Thanks
    • mikeo01's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85i Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230V3
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Plextor M5S 128GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • VTX3D R9 290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster VS450
      • Case:
      • Corsair 250D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 PRO, Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" W2261VP

Finish Shots

I say finish shots, not professionally done mind you. Least phone cameras have got a bit better over the years.

From Above Window

Fans Running

Just because I like them....

Conclusion

After a slight panic with the Corsair H75 (air in the loop, worried me, first timer with hydro coolers) everything went pretty straight forward. Yes, everything worked first time. Shocker. Usually something trips you up on your first build.

I must say I am impressed with the looks of this case, although the top is a finger print magnet. Although black you can see the blemishes when you dot finger prints on it the front panel which pops over has a very nice feel to it, a touch of quality. Plus it makes cleaning those front dust filters a breeze.

The spacious inside makes building very easy to do, however I must note that once you have your radiator installed good luck trying to manage things in there. Not really a bad point, something to keep in mind. Makes me wonder why the front is so deep.

That said the width of the chassis itself is very ideal, not only does it give it that cube feel but it doesn't feel cramped in there. Although I'd definitely say this is a water cooling chassis, good luck if you are using air coolers.

One last note, is it worth the price? For the size and functionality, quality and wide compatibility absolutely. However there are some niggles as I mentioned, such as the hard drive mini caddies and the overall sturdiness of it without that bay.

I'd get some sort of screen protector for the top Window as that is going to get scratched pretty soon. Dropping things on it, placing your smartphone for charging on it, having your pet jump on it, whatever it is definitely prone to some scrapes.
    Last edited by mikeo01; 25-05-2014 at 08:58 PM.

Thanks
    • mikeo01's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85i Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230V3
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Plextor M5S 128GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • VTX3D R9 290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster VS450
      • Case:
      • Corsair 250D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 PRO, Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" W2261VP

Temperature Testing - Placeholder

Won't bore you with any images just the raw numbers temperatures taken from each core. I have taken the highest reading as that's how I test it. Finding out the maximum temperature it may hit.

Used Prime95, large FFTs, 10 minutes for a quick one. All fans ran at their maximum speed.

Sharkoon Shark Blade
    59 56 57 53 59

Corsair SP
    56 52 50 47 56

Interesting result. Bare in mind the Corsair SP are audible. Corsair SPs run at 2000RPM whilst the Shark Blades run at 1000RPM.

So there is a range from 3c-7c. Not exactly bad considering their noise levels (very quiet).

GPU testing now. Ran Kombuster to give a sense of heat, left the stock fan control to see how it behaves.

79-80c

A bit too hot for my liking, however, whilst gaming it probably won't hit that very often. Considering the fans on the GPU where muffled out by the Corsair SPs I doubt they will be very disruptive. So I'll set my own

Power Consumptions (Taken at wall)

Now, bare in mind everything before this setup used a HD 7870, 170W max (150W board). Everything has been rounded to their nearest whole, and I have taken the minimum and maximum usage I see.

PHENOM 1045T
    STOCK
    idle 110-120w
    load 190w (285-290w with GPU HD 7870 load)

OC (4.0Ghz)
    idle 120-130w
    load 275-300w (395w with GPU HD 7870 load)

I7-3770
    STOCK
    idle 65-75w
    load 140w - £149 (+ GPU HD 7870 = 230W)

ATHLON X4
    STOCK
    idle 52w-110w
    load 150-160w - £150-160 (+ GPU HD 7870 = 235W)

PHENOM 1035T
    Didn't take idle readings, ooops
    OC
    idle 95w
    load 210w (470w with GPU HD 7870)

Xeon 1230V3
    idle 38-50w
    load 120w (380W with R9 280X)

Pretty good result don't you think? Of course the fans I am using now are far less power hungry than the previous ones I was using. Besides that I think that is a pretty good result, a gaming rig which will run great at 1080P for under 400W.

Sweet.
    Last edited by mikeo01; 25-05-2014 at 07:37 PM.

7. Received thanks from:

Biscuit (26-05-2014)

Thanks
    • mikeo01's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85i Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230V3
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Plextor M5S 128GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • VTX3D R9 290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster VS450
      • Case:
      • Corsair 250D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 PRO, Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" W2261VP

Noticed a slight rattle coming from the Sharkoon fans, sounds like the bearing rather than the frame hitting something due to the fact the whole thing is dampened.

Thanks
    • Goobley's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus H81I-Plus
      • CPU:
      • i3 4130
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP Blue
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 270 Gaming
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 500B
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Elite 120
      • Operating System:
      • Linux Arch/Mint/Windows 7 Ult. 64bit/OS X
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" iiyama IPS
      • Internet:
      • Meh

Does the rattling vary with fan speed? I've had a few pulsed motors that seem to just resonate when run at certain frequencies.

Thanks
    • mikeo01's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85i Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230V3
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Plextor M5S 128GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • VTX3D R9 290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster VS450
      • Case:
      • Corsair 250D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 PRO, Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" W2261VP

Because I can't control them (no voltage control on MB, 3-pin) it runs at a consistent 1000RPM, its maximum rated speed.

Oddly the fan is rated up to 13.2V DC

Thanks
    • Goobley's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus H81I-Plus
      • CPU:
      • i3 4130
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP Blue
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 270 Gaming
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 500B
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Elite 120
      • Operating System:
      • Linux Arch/Mint/Windows 7 Ult. 64bit/OS X
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" iiyama IPS
      • Internet:
      • Meh

You may want to try and spin them very gently when the computer is off and feel for any "notchiness" (technical term) which will tell you about the bearing and how many poles are in the motor, both of which can contribute to noise.

EDIT: Completely forgot to say: Nice looking build, I like the aesthetic you're going for.

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

Mike those voltage numbers are just to comply with ATX spec 12v +/-10%

Also double check your cables are clear with the fans running, I've had fans producing just enough suck to pull a cable into contact.

Personally I'd make another try with the cable management, miniITX can be tricky you often have to try to route cables as you go and you can end up having to dismantle quite a bit and rebuild to get the cables neat.
    It took me at least 4 goes before I was happy with my coolermaster elite 120 build.
    My one big bit advice for people is, use the twist ties that almost every comes packaged with, they are easy to undo and move, only once your happy with the cable positions should you go back over with plastic zip ties for a more permanent fit.

Thanks
    • mikeo01's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85i Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230V3
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Plextor M5S 128GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • VTX3D R9 290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster VS450
      • Case:
      • Corsair 250D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 PRO, Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" W2261VP

Quote Originally Posted by Goobley View Post
    You may want to try and spin them very gently when the computer is off and feel for any "notchiness" (technical term) which will tell you about the bearing and how many poles are in the motor, both of which can contribute to noise.

EDIT: Completely forgot to say: Nice looking build, I like the aesthetic you're going for.
    Sounds likely, as I've moved cables away from it and both of them are still ticking

And thanks, glad you like it

Quote Originally Posted by Pob255 View Post
    Mike those voltage numbers are just to comply with ATX spec 12v +/-10%

Also double check your cables are clear with the fans running, I've had fans producing just enough suck to pull a cable into contact.

Personally I'd make another try with the cable management, miniITX can be tricky you often have to try to route cables as you go and you can end up having to dismantle quite a bit and rebuild to get the cables neat.
    It took me at least 4 goes before I was happy with my coolermaster elite 120 build.
    My one big bit advice for people is, use the twist ties that almost every comes packaged with, they are easy to undo and move, only once your happy with the cable positions should you go back over with plastic zip ties for a more permanent fit.
    Ah right, thanks. About cable managing yeah I am the same, I spend around 8 tries on my old Zalman Z11 to get it right. Primarily why I wanted to go semi-modular this time around

This is my third attempt and I am quite happy with it now. Looks similar on the images but internally made it that bit neater. Using the twist ties they are a life saver.

Thanks
    • mikeo01's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85i Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230V3
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Plextor M5S 128GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • VTX3D R9 290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster VS450
      • Case:
      • Corsair 250D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 PRO, Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" W2261VP

Cable Management - Take 3

Looks a bit better most of the cables are actually stuffed under that rear fan and by the side of it (or under/besides) the motherboard.

Quite happy with it, looks cleaner

Registered+
    Thanks
    • RDGnome's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock Z77 Extreme 4
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 Pro 128Gb SSD & 1TB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2x GTX 660 in SLI
      • PSU:
      • OCZ ModXstream Pro 600W
      • Case:
      • Zalman Z9 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG
      • Internet:
      • 30MB down

Do you have any experience with the Bitfenix Prodigy, and if so how would you rate the 250D against it? Nice build too, I love ITX builds.

Thanks
    • mikeo01's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85i Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230V3
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Plextor M5S 128GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • VTX3D R9 290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster VS450
      • Case:
      • Corsair 250D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 PRO, Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" W2261VP

Thanks however I don't have experience with the Prodigy sorry

The dilemma I had was "do I want a flexible system or the compactness of ITX"? The two things I found was that if I was looking for flexibility then I should be looking towards mATX.
    The other thing was if "compactness" was key I was to look at a single cooling solution with minimal inside components (and a smaller case overall).

For me the Coolermaster Elite 130 (and similar) were too small and too cramped (minimal aesthetics and space) whilst the larger Bitfenix Phenom and Aerocool DS Cube were too large and too mATX-like (too spacious and too much cooling options). For me I wanted the spacious but compactness of ITX but the cooling flexibility which won't "look" like it has been forced in there.

But anyway that was my dilemma and how I ruled out the Prodigy when considering pure ITX the 250D fit the bill as it was a compromise of the two.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • RDGnome's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock Z77 Extreme 4
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 Pro 128Gb SSD & 1TB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2x GTX 660 in SLI
      • PSU:
      • OCZ ModXstream Pro 600W
      • Case:
      • Zalman Z9 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG
      • Internet:
      • 30MB down

Yeah I was thinking that the Prodigy seemed like a good fit to the spaciousness but still compact conundrum. But as you say, it's pretty mATX like which is proven by the Prodigy-M release Certainly looks nice though.
    The 250D is my other option, struggling to choose between the two, the 250D certainly looks more professional.
    I agree about the CM 130b though, just too cramped and it doesn't even look that nice (but you can't really complain at its price!).
    The only issue with ITX as you said is getting it effectively air cooled if you can't fit a water cooler into your budget, so cramped.
    How about some benchmarks with that build, cpu is a beast

Thread Information