Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New build

Registered+
    Thanks

New build

Planning on building myself a new PC in the next few months as it's been a long time since I built my current rig.
    Mainly I would like it for playing GTA 5 at 1080p at a steady frame-rate, as well as the basic internet browsing/music playing etc.

Here is my proposed build, going with a black and white theme, please feel free to comment and suggest amendments:

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K
    Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX
    RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3-1866 (white)
    SSD for OS: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO
    GPU: Palit GTX 980 Ti Super JetStream
    Case: NZXT S340 (white)
    PSU: Corsair RM650

Cheers!

Thanks

Re: New build

Sweet looking build, the only think I would say is that unless your doing photoshop or rendering you won't need the i7. The i5 4690k will fare almost equally well in games as games don't really utilise more than 4 threads.
    Here's quite a cool video for comparison
    The more one seeks, the more one finds and so you realise there is a lot more to be found.

Registered+
    Thanks

Will it make much difference in the future? I've had my current CPU for ~8 years, I was hoping this next build will last me about that long too

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oriforc View Post
    Will it make much difference in the future? I've had my current CPU for ~8 years, I was hoping this next build will last me about that long too
    They project that games will be able to utilise more than 4 cores more efficiently with DirectX 12 but both processors in question only have 4 cores ( i7 has 4 cores, 8 threads which only really benefits multi-threaded applications e.g. 3d rendering). The next step up would be to get the 5820k (6 core) however that would require an X99 motherboard and a price premium.

Honestly speaking I would wait if I were you as Intel are more than likely going to release their new Skylake i5 and i7 processors at the beginning of next month.
    Not to mention windows 10 is being released at the end of this month so you'll have a very good idea of what to expect really soon performance wise with both coupled together and undoubtedly reviews will be a plenty.

If you absolutely cannot wait then I still stand by the 4690K but I implore you to hang on, there's never been a better time
    The more one seeks, the more one finds and so you realise there is a lot more to be found.

Drum & Bass Till I Die deejayburnout's Avatar
    Thanks
    • deejayburnout's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x470 Aorus Ultra Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 2600 at stock speeds ( for now)
      • Memory:
      • 2 x Corsair 8GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Gigabyte 128GB M.2 PCIe x2 NVMe SSD, 120GB Kingston SV200, 2 x 1TB WD Drive, 2 x 2TB WD Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS ROG Strix RX 580 8G Gaming OC Edition
      • PSU:
      • OCZ 750 Watt
      • Case:
      • NZXT Noctis 450
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34UM65-P Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • 72mb Down 19mb up - Vodafone

Think this rig would kick ass with gaming. Should last a long time. Probably not 8 Years as no doubt gaming will advance tenfold
    Better to Burn out than Fade Away
    Check out my Youtube channel - Crispy Crisperson

Thanks
    • Agrippa's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock X299 Taichi XE
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 7820X @ 4.8GHz (delid)
      • Memory:
      • 4x8GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3200 C14 @ 3600 CL15
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SM961 256GB, 850 EVO 1TBx2, 850 EVO 250GB, 840 512GB, Seagate 1TB, 2TB, 8x8TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 1080 Ti RoG Strix
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM1000x
      • Case:
      • Lian Li D8000
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator Z35P
      • Internet:
      • 500/500 Fiber

In terms of longevity the i7's hyperthreading would certainly make a difference, especially if gaming isn't all you use the PC for. And even if it is, who knows what you'll be up to in a few years' time.

The proposed build looks good to me and should be about is "future-proof" as such things can be, without going all out for a top spec X99 based system. I'd personally opt for a CoolerMaster or EVGA PSU, simply because they offer the same quality as the Corsair at lower prices. Corsair make good stuff, but I don't like the way they're milking their cred for all it's worth by charging as much as they possibly can.

Also, at 1080p there's no real need for an overclocked 980 Ti since the stock editions will already be more than powerful enough, but then again you likely won't be gaming in 1080p a year or two down the road. My own stock MSI 980 Ti overclocks easily to 1250/7800 and stays quite silent while in use, but then I have oodles of airflow to help it keep cool. In your proposed case it'll likely be louder at full throttle.

Basically I think you have pretty much an optimal build going on. A few tweaks can be made to save you a few quid while leaving the performance unaffected, but that's about it as far as I can see.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Agrippa View Post
    In terms of longevity the i7's hyperthreading would certainly make a difference, especially if gaming isn't all you use the PC for. And even if it is, who knows what you'll be up to in a few years' time.
    Hyperthreading does not bring any longevity advantages. Especially for the uses given in the original post.

Also, at 1080p there's no real need for an overclocked 980 Ti since the stock editions will already be more than powerful enough, but then again you likely won't be gaming in 1080p a year or two down the road. My own stock MSI 980 Ti overclocks easily to 1250/7800 and stays quite silent while in use, but then I have oodles of airflow to help it keep cool. In your proposed case it'll likely be louder at full throttle.
    980ti is overkill for 1080p. It's fine specing an 8 year build, but that's not possible for GPUs unless you're willing to give up a lot of functionality down the line. Much better to spec for todays gaming and use the budget saving to replace it a few years later.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel
    980ti is overkill for 1080p. It's fine specing an 8 year build, but that's not possible for GPUs unless you're willing to give up a lot of functionality down the line. Much better to spec for todays gaming and use the budget saving to replace it a few years later.
    That's a very good point, especially when looking at how graphics cards are increasing the amount by which they surpass previous generations in terms of performance makes it all the more better to get the best 'bang for buck' card right now then look at upgrading the GPU every say 3 or 4 years. IMO that card right now would be the AMD R9 390.

To give you an idea..

-The GTX 780Ti retailed for $700 and was released on the 7th of November 2013.
    -The GTX 970 retailed for $330 and was released on the 18th of September 2014.
    -> Link

See how having the best of the best at the time doesn't always pay off because you cannot always have the latest tech & drivers. Games will always be optimised more for newer hardware/drivers.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Just get an R9 390 or GTX970 - in another year or so the second generation DX12 GPUs from AMD and Nvidia will be out,with a process node shrink.

Thanks

Yeah, there's definitely something to be said for just picking the best price vs performance GPU at a given moment, and making a point of selling it on while it still has some value second hand. You end up with less junk lying around, and you make up part of the initial outlay. There's always someone out there looking for a second card for SLI purposes while you enjoy the new tech.

Thanks

The 980 Ti has equal power to SLI 970s, but that power is only useful beyond 1440p.

Registered+
    Thanks

Thanks for the input so far guys. In terms of the 8 year build, that comment was mainly aimed at the CPU, obviously I have upgraded my graphics card over the years as technology improves.
    Will definitely downgrade my GP to a GTX 970 then, as long as it can handle GTA 5 at max settings at 1080 I'm happy

Registered+
    Thanks

Think either the ASUS Strix or the Gigabyte G1 Gaming in that case, any preference between the 2?

Registered+
    Thanks

Thinking either the ASUS Strix or the Gigabyte G1 Gaming in that case, any preference between the 2? Or is there a better option?

Thanks

I suggest the R9 390. it has twice as much VRAM and performs better than the 970 in most games & only runs about 3 degrees hotter using about 40 more watts.
    http://www.techspot.com/review/1019-...380/page4.html

Registered+
    Thanks

R9 390 it is then, thanks Obie!

Thread Information