Thread: HTPC Case with Similar Dimensions

Thanks

HTPC Case with Similar Dimensions

Hello there, my amplifier is 171 mm (H): 435 mm (W): 393 mm (D) and I am looking for a HTPC case which is a similar width and depth to fit in an AV rack I am going to make in a space in the lounge.

The catch is that I am looking to use existing hardware and the hardware is rather large, as this will be used for gaming as well.

Existing case and hardware:

Manufacturer:
    Cooler Master
    Motherboard Form Factor:
    ATX
    Micro ATX
    Front/ Side/ Top Panel:
    1 x Headphone
    1 x Mic In
    2 x USB 2.0
    1 x eSata
    1 x IEEE 1394
    Drive Bays:
    5 x 3.5" Internal
    2 x 5.25" External
    Expansion Slots:
    Fan Bays:
    5 x 120mm
    2 x 140mm
    Window:
    Yes
    Power Supply Form Factor:
    ATX
    CPU Cooler Dimensions:
    "Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (Socket 1155)
    79.7 x 158.5 x 120 mm (WxHxD mm)"
    VGA Card Length:
    "MSI ATI Radeon HD 6950 OC Twin FrozR III Power Edition 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express
    116 x 39 x 270 mm (WxHxD mm) Double slot"
    Dimensions:
    213 x 482 x 525 mm (WxHxD mm)
    Colour:
    Black

What cases have space for two optical drives, a card reader on the front, which might accept the CPU cooler whilst accommodating all the other hardware?

Would Silverstone LaScala LC17 Rackmount be a contender?

If so, I would expect to also purchase the following:

• A new CPU cooler because my existing one is massive and likely will not fit in the case with all my other required hardware, I was thinking of something like Prolimatech 48 CPU Cooler 92mm, but I cannot find another suitable substitute as this one is not in stock anywhere now (please advise)
    • ARCTIC F8 PRO PWM PST - 80mm Fluid Dynamic Bearing Low Noise PWM Controlled Case Fan with PWM Sharing Technology (PST) Feature & Anti-Vibration System £3.49
    • ARCTIC F9 PRO PWM PST - 92mm Fluid Dynamic Bearing Low Noise PWM Controlled Case Fan with PWM Sharing Technology (PST) Feature & Anti-Vibration System £4.68
    • Arctic Silver 5 3.5g Thermal Paste and Arcticlean value pack £11.95
    • CSL - 3.5" All-in-One USB 3.0 (super speed) Hub USB 2.0 Card Reader + eSATA / Multifunctional Panel / SD / SDHC / Mini SDHC / Micro SDHC / USB / XD / CF/MD £11.35
    • Pioneer BDR-209DBK 16x SATA Internal BD/DVD/CD Burner - No Software £57.99
    • Crucial BX100 2.5-inch SATA III Internal Solid State Drive - 250 GB £62.49

Thanks

Re: HTPC Case with Similar Dimensions

A 171mm high case is not going to accept a 158.5mm high CPU cooler. The combined total of CPU, CPU socket, motherboard, motherboard standoffs and both case walls is going to be more than 12.5mm. Is height a factor at all?

You don't specify what your existing motherboard is. Whether it's ATX or Micro ATX will have an impact.

There should be plenty of CPU coolers that'll fit within the LC17's 135mm limit. It's really only the 120mm towers that'll have trouble, both the smaller towers (NH-D9L) and the bigger top-down coolers (NH-C12P) will work fine. Or just get a popular low profile cooler like the Scythe Shuriken or Big Shuriken.

Although wouldn't Silverstone's GD09/GD10 be closer at 440 x 358 x 171? Closer in width and a shorter depth, although If you're stacking them instead of shelving them I guess you want either wider and deeper or narrower and shorter.

Thanks

Thank you for your reply, as indicated in my original post, I am flexible about CPU coolers because I know that this will severely restrict me.

The width is a restriction, the height is not so important, the depth needs to be taken into consideration.

The current motherboard (I THINK) is a Gigabyte Z68X-UD3P-B3 Intel Z68 DDR3 ATX Motherboard - Socket 1155

The CPU cooler you mentioned looks good, and I haven't found any bad reviews:

Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev.B CPU Cooler 120 mm / Supported Sockets 775 / 1155 / 1156 / 1366 / AM2 / AM2+ / AM3 / AM3+ / FM1

Are you sure this will fit?

I can't work with a case which has a flap on the front as I need access to all the front panel elements all the time without having to mess about with a key or the likes.

Thanks

Hello?

Thread Information