Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HTPC(kodi) + NAS(hardware raid)

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: HTPC(kodi) + NAS(hardware raid)

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    I read it that he want's somewhere to back machines up to, so the RAID array won't contain data, it will contain backups of data and some videos. Seems a fair use to me, or I hope it is as that is what I basically do
    Yes, maybe I was not clear enough, data will be stored on device's drive but also I want to have a copy of somewhere else and being able to do that with simple script or program as a scheduled uploads to server.

I wouldnt even use Ubuntu Server, I would just use Ubuntu desktop, or even try installing Kodibuntu which has it pre-baked into the installer.
    I am already using Kodibuntu as just kind of media player, but will it work as a NAS in the same time? This is my concern.
    If so I can try to make it straight away.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Quote Originally Posted by username2 View Post
    I am already using Kodibuntu as just kind of media player, but will it work as a NAS in the same time? This is my concern.
    If so I can try to make it straight away.
    Yeah, just exit Kodi and you go to desktop mode. From there you can access a package manager and install any necessary applications to accomplish your other needs. I would be suprised if you need to do anything additional just to set up network shares but im not familiar with Kodibuntu and which elements from Ubuntu they stripped out.

Registered+
    Thanks

If you have that knowledge could you tell me what packages will I need for sharing drive in network and what RAID packages should I use?

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

As I said I dont know what is and isnt installed on Kodibuntu by default, I think you will have to investigate this yourself as many of the users here don't even use Kodi, let alone their custom Ubuntu distribution.

The guides are all based on full Ubuntu, so I dont know how close their are to what you will see but its the best thats available.

My recommendation first would be to understand how to set up file sharing on this OS, as this should be easy-ish.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Sa...mbaServerGuide

Then look at trying to get ZFS and btrfs for 'RAID' type set ups... after a quick skim though the help pages, this probably wont be quite so easy.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/btrfs
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ZFS

Added:
    https://www.howtoforge.com/a-beginne...ems-raid-raid-
    Last edited by Biscuit; 19-05-2016 at 02:35 PM.

5. Received thanks from:

username2 (19-05-2016)

Registered+
    Thanks

So far, using my low-end kodi machine, which I am currently, running I have created new folders to share to the network. I used samba because I figured out that kodi is sharing some folders using samba by default, so why not follow that way?
    Then I have created users and gave them ownerships of relevant folders. That means only user Android can access folder called Android and only user Apple can access Apple folder.
    Now using pretty neat app on Android called FolderSync I have scheduled weekly backups to my Kodi NFS using credentials for Android user.
    (This Android app I have obtained for free a while ago from amazon app store) So currently I am looking for similar app for Iphone devices, preferably free one, but I cannot find anything worth my time so far, so it looks like I will have eventually pay a couple of quid.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Glad to hear you are making progress

Registered+
    Thanks

I think I will treat this thread as little diary and at the end I will create guide how to make your HTPC a NAS. I see trend these days people trying to separate these devices, which is totally legit and it seems to be more reasonable, but not everyone has additional room to keep extra device.
    I am now considering to build one based on 1150 socket and other one based on 1151 socket. Second one seems more future proof and there might be more possibilities to upgrade and it will not be much more expensive (probably about 20-40 quid).
    I am not quite sure about the motherboard I have to make more research but I am aiming at 6 x sata3 ports and at least one pci-e 3.0 if I will eventually decide to go for a hardware RAID.
    However software RAID seems good to me, especially because it will allow me to save some money.

Registered+
    Thanks

I will stick for a while to my old mother board with integrated CPU.
    I did find out that ubuntu desktop does not support raid. I can install Ubuntu server and then upgarde it to desktop version and then install kodi, but preferably I would like to run Kodi on just plain version of ubuntu server.
    I will order one drive of hgst 7k 1tb 2,5" because I believe small drives are more quiet than full size 3,5" ones.
    I still need to find case which will be small enough, due to limited space in TV stand. My limitation are H 20 W 65 D 33 or H20 W41 D45. But still I would like to fit 6 drives there, 4 drives for raid 6 and one system drive, probably I will get cheap 120gb SSD for ~£30.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

I will stick for a while to my old mother board with integrated CPU.
    I did find out that ubuntu desktop does not support raid. I can install Ubuntu server and then upgarde it to desktop version and then install kodi, but preferably I would like to run Kodi on just plain version of ubuntu server.
    I will order one drive of hgst 7k 1tb 2,5" because I believe small drives are more quiet than full size 3,5" ones.
    I still need to find case which will be small enough, due to limited space in TV stand. My limitation are H 20 W 65 D 33 or H20 W41 D45. But still I would like to fit 6 drives there, 4 drives for raid 6 and one system drive, probably I will get cheap 120gb SSD for ~£30.
    Im curious as to why you think smaller drives are quieter as in my experience it various from brand to brand/model to model. HGST drives are a solid choice though, my 4TB one (3.5") is pretty quiet. Best way to reduce noise (SSDs aside) is to buy the lower RPM ones.

RAID 6 (dual parity blocks) is a bit overkill if you're only running 4 drives. Remember out of a possible 4TB this would mean you only get a usable 2TB. RAID 5 (single parity block) is more than enough IMO and that would give you 3TB usable space or RAID10 would be the other option if you really want 1:1 data duplication.

Thats plenty of space for a decent sized case. If you cant get one that willhouse all of the drives built in, you can always just get one that has a 5.25" drive bay and then buy a 4 x 2.5" hotswap caddy or something like that.

I still honestly think you would be better off strapping a raspberry pi to the back of your television for the media playback and running a proper dedicated NAS operating system
    Last edited by Biscuit; 27-05-2016 at 01:10 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

It turned out that I currently do not have funds for whole project so I will do it in steps.

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    is to buy the lower RPM ones.
    5400 vs 7200rpm is dramatic step backwards in terms of speed. I didn't decided yet, maybe I am still living old days when 3,5 HDDs were really loud, at least mine
    Using 3,5" drives is quite convenient especially that they have more cache and are significantly cheaper.
    I do not have enough money for SSDs ;P

RAID 6 (dual parity blocks) is a bit overkill if you're only running 4 drives.
    I am planning to get two of 1TB and run raid5 + I have spare HDD 120GB for system, if everything will be fine then in the future I will migrate raid 5 to raid 6 and use SSD as system drive.

Thats plenty of space for a decent sized case. If you cant get one that willhouse all of the drives built in, you can always just get one that has a 5.25" drive bay and then buy a 4 x 2.5" hotswap caddy or something like that.
    This is actually pretty good idea but it wouldn't look as neat on shelf as nice like node 604 or SilverStone SST-SG11B in fact I would get that second one already but it is slightly too big (I have 200mm space, case is 212mm height), but I cannot find info what is it height without feet, which I would remove.

I still honestly think you would be better off strapping a raspberry pi to the back of your television for the media playback and running a proper dedicated NAS operating system
    Currently I have ITX motherboard running Kodi on it, but due to lack of space I need integrated NAS.
    Last edited by username2; 27-05-2016 at 03:54 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

I am planning to get two of 1TB and run raid5 + I have spare HDD 120GB for system, if everything will be fine then in the future I will migrate raid 5 to raid 6 and use SSD as system drive.
    RAID5 requires a minimum of 3 drives. If you only have 2 drives then you need either RAID 1 or RAID 0. RAID 1 would be a direct duplicate of the data on each drive and RAID 0 would be striping without any parity data.

Currently I have ITX motherboard running Kodi on it, but due to lack of space I need integrated NAS.
    But a raspberry pi is absolutely tiny, it doesn't take any space and like I said, you can just strap it to back the television (if you buy the right case) with velcro or something like that. The resulting simplicity from going down this route far exceeds any benefit of having them all in one box. Hell, if you really want you could modify your NAS box and fit it inside there also!

As you will be going wireless, you could even get the £5 zero model with a cheap adapter as you wont need ethernet.

Similar alternatives are things like amazon firesticks and the many similar android devices that can load Kodi but are barely bigger than a USB drive.
    Last edited by Biscuit; 27-05-2016 at 04:15 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

RAID5 requires a minimum of 3 drives. If you only have 2 drives then you need either RAID 1 or RAID 0. RAID 1 would be a direct duplicate of the data on each drive and RAID 0 would be striping without any parity data.
    Oh yeah I was thinking about RAID1.

And yes, I understand ideas and benefits behind building NAS and Kodi separately but it would be not efficient/impossible. I would really like to go this way but I have router in one of the corner of the room and TV in another, 3 meters across. Router cannot be moved to other room, also having NAS in other room wouldn't be efficient (it would be behind at least 3 walls).
    So I don't see any other route ;(

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Have you considered the home plugs rather than wireless for everything?

Registered+
    Thanks

Actually I didn't know that existence of that, it changes everything

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

They are pretty good. Not as good as full on Ethernet but you will get a solid connection and around about 100Mbps speeds depending on the quality of the boxes you get and the electrics, plenty for streaming media.

Registered+
    Thanks

Do you know any good home plugs and what is the difference between cheap and expensive ones? I basically need just one Ethernet port, but I have seen there are some with built in WiFi signal extender, but they are like 80 quid!
    This one is the cheapest 300Mbps which I found do you think it is good enough?
    Last edited by username2; 27-05-2016 at 09:22 PM.

Thread Information