Thread: Advice needed for desktop build (re build really)

Registered+
    Thanks

Advice needed for desktop build (re build really)

Hi all,

I've got a fairly old Acer M1935 desktop which I use for gaming (multiple genres including FPS, RPG. etc), emulation, surfing, watching videos and as a plex server. The specs are:

Intel Core i3 2120 3.3GHz
    12GB DDR3 RAM
    Generic M1935 LGA1155 Motherboard

I've added a couple of bits to over the years:

Novatech Modular 600w power supply
    ASUS Radeon HD 7850 OC 2GB
    Samsung 250GB SSD
    multiple other hard drives

I'm starting to feel like I need an update, mostly in the processor department. I looked into upgrading within the LGA1155 chipset to an i7-3770k, but that's a pretty darn old processor and they still cost approx £100 - £125.

So, I think it'll probably be more sensible to upgrade the processor, mobo and ram. I don't really mind whether it's an AMD or an intel chip, though I've been looking at Ryzen chips as my understanding is that they are a bit more bang for your buck (please forgive me if I'm wrong).

I was looking at something like this using PCpartpicker:

AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor (£155.94)
    MSI - X470 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard (£119.99)
    ADATA - XPG GAMMIX D10 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (147.28)

total - £423.21

Would this be a decent upgrade? Can you suggest any alternatives at around the same price (or lower to keep the missus happy)? Can you foresee any issues using my current remaining hardware (case, graphics card, monitor, SSD, HDs, etc)? FYI I'm content to keep this graphics card for the moment, if nothing more than to keep the cost down.

Any help appreciated

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Re: Advice needed for desktop build (re build really)

You are most likely to be more GPU limited in many titles,with an HD7850 2GB though.

For instance a Xeon E3 1230 V2(basically a Core i7 3770) can be had for under £100 secondhand:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-Xeo...IAAOSwqWNbOKp7

Its the same CPU I have currently,and what I used in this review with an RX470 and a GTX1080:

https://forums.hexus.net/reader-revi...enchmarks.html

For the most part even with the old Xeon E3,I still saw a performance jump going to an RX470 4GB from a GTX960 4GB(data not shown) and a GTX1080 was an upgrade over an RX470.

No doubt in some games like modded FO4 and PS2 I do have CPU limitations,but they only really became noticeable with a GTX1080,when my average FPS was much higher.

3. Received thanks from:

satrow (02-07-2018)

Registered+
    Thanks

Hi Cat, thanks for your thoughts.

Your benchmarks with the 1080 are interesting, I haven't read them all yet (at work ), but I get the idea, that CPU speed for gaming isn't as important as GPU heft at least up to a certain level. Being honest, the idea was / is to eventually upgrade my graphics card - especially if / when the prices become more reasonable. The price of the Xeon you've linked to does look decent and I hadn't considered that cpu before. I suppose it's a toss up on whether I pop a newer CPU into my old mobo and look for a more beastly graphics card, or shell out on newer architecture and rock along with the 7850 - definitely food for thought.

I don't just use the PC for gaming though, so how much of a 'quality of life' upgrade would having a faster cpu and ram with a newer motherboard offer me - generally in windows etc.? I'm assuming it would be noticeable?

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by grimmy58 View Post
    Hi Cat, thanks for your thoughts.

Your benchmarks with the 1080 are interesting, I haven't read them all yet (at work ), but I get the idea, that CPU speed for gaming isn't as important as GPU heft at least up to a certain level. Being honest, the idea was / is to eventually upgrade my graphics card - especially if / when the prices become more reasonable. The price of the Xeon you've linked to does look decent and I hadn't considered that cpu before. I suppose it's a toss up on whether I pop a newer CPU into my old mobo and look for a more beastly graphics card, or shell out on newer architecture and rock along with the 7850 - definitely food for thought.

I don't just use the PC for gaming though, so how much of a 'quality of life' upgrade would having a faster cpu and ram with a newer motherboard offer me - generally in windows etc.? I'm assuming it would be noticeable?
    It really depends on what you are doing,at least for my own usage like PS with 24MP dSLR images,etc it seems speedy enough,and only in two games,do I feel very CPU limited. Hence,why I had decided on an SSD and RX470 upgrade before the CPU.

You could do the upgrade with a Xeon E3 1230 V2 for under £300 - recently you could get an RX580 4GB for just under £190. That would be the best value upgrade overall,as both single threaded and multi-threaded performance will improve over your current CPU.

Will a Ryzen 5 2600 be faster overall?? OFC it will,but unless your game is massively CPU limited with a HD7850,a GPU upgrade will be also important. Also,I suppose buying new parts also is a bit more exciting!

Registered+
    Thanks

Hi Cat,

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep my eyes open for any cheeky GPU deals and if I can find a cheap xeon chip. Sadly it might have to wait for a while now - the missus told me that "we've" booked a holiday to Mexico which we'll have to pay for, so the cheaper option is probably more favourable at the moment as well. You are right though, "new, new" stuff is exciting! Thanks for your help

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by grimmy58 View Post
    Hi Cat,

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep my eyes open for any cheeky GPU deals and if I can find a cheap xeon chip. Sadly it might have to wait for a while now - the missus told me that "we've" booked a holiday to Mexico which we'll have to pay for, so the cheaper option is probably more favourable at the moment as well. You are right though, "new, new" stuff is exciting! Thanks for your help
    The thing is the Xeon E3 1230 V2 is the well known one,but people forget about the faster ones,which can often go for less!!

Look at the list of IB based Xeon E3 CPUs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ge-based_Xeons

Outside the first two,ie,the Xeon E3 1220 V2 and Xeon E3 1225 V2,they all have HT.

So if you look for the Xeon E3 1240 V2,there is one for just over £80 and one for £70:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?LH...40+v2&_sacat=0

OFC,you need to add a cooler but something like Hyper 212 should do the trick.

Thanks
    • Savas's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6X58D-E
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 6GB Corsair
      • Storage:
      • SanDisk SSD PLUS 240 GB Sata III 2.5 inch Internal SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850W
      • Case:
      • LIANLI PC-8FI
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 32LF580V
      • Internet:
      • 80Mbits (Plusnet)

If you do end up going for your AMD build, Scan actually does a very similar overclocked bundled. So you'd get it professionally overclocked to 4.0Ghz, plus the price includes a be quiet Pure Rock CPU cooler, something not added to your total price. If you were to, then the price difference is like £4. I think it's worth it. The motherboard is the difference so if you're happy with it, why not. Link.

GPU prices are currently high so if you can hold up that would be most ideal for you, in my opinion and at least you'd get your core system upgraded. The moment when it's a normal price again, you could go with a decent one and not worry about your system being a bottleneck. Most recent games I can think of are GPU intensive than the CPU, but you haven't told us what kind of games you play, whether it's like CSGO or the latest titles. I see where CAT is going with focusing on doing a tiny GPU upgrade to get the best bang for buck.

Anyway, if you've put it on hold now, then make your budget larger and include a GPU with your set up and you'll be sure you've got a decent upgrade build.

Thread Information