• 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Re: My planned new build

and contrary to popular "belief" the amount of RGB lighting is not important!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    and contrary to popular "belief" the amount of RGB lighting is not important!
    Similar to the "belief" that 5G causes Coronavirus!!

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

have you ordered this yet? With all the hoo-har atm about bios chip size it might be worth pinging an email to Gigabyte and checking what size the mobo BIOS chip is, and whether it will support future Ryzen 3 and 4 processors before you pass the point of no-return.

Thanks

have you ordered this yet? With all the hoo-har atm about bios chip size it might be worth pinging an email to Gigabyte and checking what size the mobo BIOS chip is, and whether it will support future Ryzen 3 and 4 processors before you pass the point of no-return.
    Well... I actually ordered and paid for the mobo this morning. I'm not too worried, though, this build will last me at least the next five years and the mobo is certainly fit for that by all accounts.

It was a bit of a pain to get hold of, given short supply for obvious reasons. I've used a mixture of Amazon Business and OverclockersUK. I was going to do it all with Scan, but an application for a non-credit business account was refused by a very friendly guy on the basis that I couldn't commit to spending at least £1,500 per month. He said his retail colleague would call me to take my order.

Long story short, I wasn't called, I received a standard email, which I responded to by submitting my component list. Instead of getting back a quote for supply, I received a quote for a '3XS Custom AM4' PC build. I didn't want that and so emailed to change it. Nine emails and three telephone calls from me were ignored, so I took my business elsewhere. Their loss of a couple of grand's worth of business.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Helios451 View Post
    Well... I actually ordered and paid for the mobo this morning. I'm not too worried, though, this build will last me at least the next five years and the mobo is certainly fit for that by all accounts.

It was a bit of a pain to get hold of, given short supply for obvious reasons. I've used a mixture of Amazon Business and OverclockersUK. I was going to do it all with Scan, but an application for a non-credit business account was refused by a very friendly guy on the basis that I couldn't commit to spending at least £1,500 per month. He said his retail colleague would call me to take my order.

Long story short, I wasn't called, I received a standard email, which I responded to by submitting my component list. Instead of getting back a quote for supply, I received a quote for a '3XS Custom AM4' PC build. I didn't want that and so emailed to change it. Nine emails and three telephone calls from me were ignored, so I took my business elsewhere. Their loss of a couple of grand's worth of business.
    !WOW! that is not ideal. Sorry to hear that.

Re the board I'd be surprised if the bios chip is an issue - it's X570 so all the noise is that it will get support.

Look forward to hearing how you get on. Take pics, many pics. We need to resurrect the "document my build" thread.

Thanks

Re the board I'd be surprised if the bios chip is an issue - it's X570 so all the noise is that it will get support.
    Yes, I did some research myself and was reassured that the X570 is not the centre of that particular storm.

Also, I have prepped for the build by downloading all the X570 bios updates (7 of), driver updates (8 of), manuals (4 of) and utilities (15 of). There were no chipset driver updates for the X570.

Am I correct to assume that I need to install each driver update in sequence of their release?

I'll appraise the utilities and only install if I feel they bring something useful.

Look forward to hearing how you get on. Take pics, many pics. We need to resurrect the "document my build" thread.
    Don't worry, I'll certainly do that - I agree, the "document my build" thread has suffered from neglect recently, so I'll try to make it all look good!

My final shopping list, amended a little due to stock shortages, ended up as:

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
    Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Auros Master
    Cooler be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro
    RAM 16GB Corsair Vengance LXP Black - 2x8Gb
    Storage Samsung 970Evo Plus 1TB M.2 SSD Storage Drive
    GPU Power Cooler Radeon RX5700
    Case be quiet! White Pure Base 500
    PSU Kolink Enclave 700W 80 Plus Gold Modular
    Monitor Asus VG278Q 27" 1920x1080 TN FreeSync/G-Sync 144Hz 1ms Widescreen
    Keyboard Xtrfy XG1-R-LED-UK Mechanical Keyboard
    Mouse Asus TUF M5 Optical Mouse
    Data sticks 2 x Kingston 64Gb Data Traveller
    Thermal Paste Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Paste 5.5g

Given the very useful advice given here, I scaled back the storage. I'll take the SSD drive and the two WD HDDs from my older i7 4790 rig back at home in France when I can return there and install them in this to augment what's here.

One of the two data sticks is to hold the Windows files for install and the other a Linux distro (haven't decided which one yet - Manjaro, MXLinux, Linux Mint and Fedora are all interesting!), as I want to set up the rig to dual boot.

Finally, the thermal paste is because I picked up on a Reddit thread that the heatsinks on the mobo get significantly better thermal conduction if paste is used to bed them.

Certainly not going to be bored!!

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

All the patches are standalone. You just need to run the latest one (in theory). Sometimes rolling back to an earlier version can solve a problem but I wouldn't bother unless you get s particular issue. The stability of the more recent bios for my board is far better than the original July 2019 version it shipped with.

You can check amd site for latest chipset driver if gigabyte don't supply them directly though I'd start with the latest one from gigabyte's site.

Imo the best way to dual boot without hassle is to have two separate SSD one for each os. Set the bios order so your main one is the first option. Then have it on a hot swap dock and simply activate/deactivate drives before turning the machine so the machine only sees the drive you want to load.

8. Received thanks from:

Helios451 (14-05-2020)

Thanks
    • MrJim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Tomahawk X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Kingston 3600 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Aorus 1Tb NVME SSD, Samsung 1Tb 970 Evo SSD, Crucial 2tb MX500 SSD, Seagate Ironwolf 4Tb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 3080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1300W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 27" XG2703-GS
      • Internet:
      • BT 900 mb/s FTTP

Finally, the thermal paste is because I picked up on a Reddit thread that the heatsinks on the mobo get significantly better thermal conduction if paste is used to bed them.

Certainly not going to be bored!!
    Interesting choice of PSU - what made you go for that particular one? I can't say I'm familiar with Kolink.

On the subject of the motherboard heatsinks, are you referring to the VRM heatsinks or those of the chipset? From the reviews I've seen of the X570 Master, the VRMs are such a high specification, it's very unlikely that they will get so hot that changing their thermal pads for thermal paste will be necessary. It also might void the warranty on the board too...

10. Received thanks from:

Helios451 (14-05-2020)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

All the Gigabyte X570 motherboards have smaller 16MB BIOS chips AFAIK,so hopefully AMD won't pull some excuse next year!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrJim View Post
    Interesting choice of PSU - what made you go for that particular one? I can't say I'm familiar with Kolink.
    I noted their wide range of cases , PSUs and case additions on the OverclockersUK site - they're a Hungarian firm that's been in this business since 2002 and sell across Europe. The PSU is the right spec and competitively priced, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by MrJim View Post
    On the subject of the motherboard heatsinks, are you referring to the VRM heatsinks or those of the chipset? From the reviews I've seen of the X570 Master, the VRMs are such a high specification, it's very unlikely that they will get so hot that changing their thermal pads for thermal paste will be necessary. It also might void the warranty on the board too...
    It was specifically the chipset - I'm aware the VRM set up is really solid. I want to minimise the operation of the chipset fan, which is under the heatsink, and also the GPU body sits over the heatsink, so I want to maximise passive cooling all around that area. Yes, I do realise the implications for board warranty!

Thanks
    • MrJim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Tomahawk X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Kingston 3600 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Aorus 1Tb NVME SSD, Samsung 1Tb 970 Evo SSD, Crucial 2tb MX500 SSD, Seagate Ironwolf 4Tb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 3080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1300W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 27" XG2703-GS
      • Internet:
      • BT 900 mb/s FTTP

It was specifically the chipset - I'm aware the VRM set up is really solid. I want to minimise the operation of the chipset fan, which is under the heatsink, and also the GPU body sits over the heatsink, so I want to maximise passive cooling all around that area. Yes, I do realise the implications for board warranty!
    Ah right - well I'd be sure to keep the thermal pad under the chipset heatsink once you've replaced it with thermal paste, just in case you need to RMA the motherboard under warranty

14. Received thanks from:

Helios451 (14-05-2020)

Thanks

Incidentally, guys, do we have a 'Build Diary' thread anywhere within the fora? All I am aware of is the Chassis and Mods sub-thread.

Can I suggest that a Build Diary sub-thread is created - if a Moderator is listening...?

Thread Information