Thread: New system BSOD & ultra hot GFX card

Thanks

New system BSOD & ultra hot GFX card

Build number is 35701

Hello,

I got a new system through and within a few minutes of it being turned on it had a BSOD while idling, shortly after boot up.

Thinking I'd be able to replicate it I reset the machine, but it just went into a perpetual state of restarting for about 5 seconds, then going dead. Rinse and repeat, so I turned the PC completely off for a few minutes and turned it back on. I assume this is some kind of built in protection on the mobo.

When the PC rebooted, it gave a warning that there was a problem with the CMOS, which in the process cleared the CMOS and then rebuilt itself removing all the saved BIOS profiles.

The PC rebooted with a default BIOS profile, obviously without any of the overclocking settings but hasn't BSOD'ed since this problem.

I've not reapplied the overclock settings or touched any feature in the BIOS for fear of damaging the CPU or ending up with a oversized paper weight or voiding my warranty.

I'd like some advice please as the BSOD when overclocked is worrying and obviously I don't want to reapply it if its going to kill the PC.

Also, the GFX card is reaching 90c. Its in an Antec 1200 case but the fan speed never seems to go to 100%. Will using something like a third party tool to change the fan settings void my warranty?

BTW, the guy who was supposed to come and turn it on in my house, didn't turn up, he cancelled his delivery and had to go to my girlfriends school (teacher, not pupil! ) and put it in the boot of her car. I spoke to someone at Scan on Friday about this who said they'd call me back today about some kind of compensation for this idiot but they've not called me back.

Been using Scan for 8 years and spent thousands here but this experience is making me question if I want to continue using Scan.
    Last edited by mondogenerator; 09-11-2011 at 10:51 AM.

Thanks

Re: New system BSOD & ultra hot GFX card

Still not been called by the guy from Scan who said he'd call me about the atrocious courier.

Would appreciate some advice on what to do about this system.

Thanks
    • Ben @ Scan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Evga X58 Sli LE
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core I7 920@4.5Gig
      • Memory:
      • 6 Gig Corsair DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 1 x Intel 80 Gig SSD & 2 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GTX 580
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 1000 Watt
      • Case:
      • Silver Temjin 07 (Silverstone)
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Iiyama
      • Internet:
      • 50mb Virgin Media

Hi

I am in discussions today with the engineer and will get back to you once I have spoken with him

If the bios has reset you can load one of our Pre Saved profiles

Press Del to enter Setup as the system starts
    Press F12 on the main screen and Select the following
    Profile 1 - Standard
    Profile 2 - Overclocked

Please bear in mind that all power saving features need to be left as they are if using Profile 2

Regards

Ben

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mondogenerator View Post

When the PC rebooted, it gave a warning that there was a problem with the CMOS, which in the process cleared the CMOS and then rebuilt itself removing all the saved BIOS profiles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben @ Scan View Post
    Hi

If the bios has reset you can load one of our Pre Saved profiles

Press Del to enter Setup as the system starts
    Press F12 on the main screen and Select the following
    Profile 1 - Standard
    Profile 2 - Overclocked

As I stated, there are no longer any profiles available to load from other than the default ones on the motherboard. After it BSOD'd there was a rebuilding process that took place and it wiped all saved profiles/settings.

And given the problem I had with the BSOD I don't really want to reload the overclocked settings if that actually was the cause (its not happened since the overclock settings were removed)

Thanks

Can I get some sort of response on this please? If I'm to either send this back or anything else I really need to know ASAP. Its not just my gaming rig, its also my work pc.

Thanks
    • Ben @ Scan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Evga X58 Sli LE
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core I7 920@4.5Gig
      • Memory:
      • 6 Gig Corsair DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 1 x Intel 80 Gig SSD & 2 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GTX 580
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 1000 Watt
      • Case:
      • Silver Temjin 07 (Silverstone)
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Iiyama
      • Internet:
      • 50mb Virgin Media

Hi

We responded directly through your query yesterday and I have just resent this to you

Regards

Ben

Thanks

Ok, i'm replying here since it might get a quicker response but your reply doesn't answer my questions and the courier is lying. I smell bullsh1t.

1) The engineer/courier called my girlfreind to tell her he couldn't make the later appointment. He wasn't asked to deliver it early. She was extremely annoyed that he said he couldn't do the later appointment (she was annoyed that the website allowed us to order on a Saturday but were told later that it was weekday only...people work in the week). Sorry, but her asking him to deliver it early is a lie. Her text to me at 15:47 on Friday November 4th was "A man with a terrible stammer just called trying to deliver the computer. He can't do 5:15 so now he's bringing it over to school and I am in an important meeting. This is ridiculous and I'm not happy".

He wasn't asked to do anything but deliver it a 5:15, he cancelled and he decided to deliver early, to the back of a car, without setting the system up like he was paid to do!!

2) The BIOS wipe - I'd like to know what the deal is here. The PC blue screens when the overclock profile was applied. When it did BSOD, the entire bios and profiles were all wiped. There is no saved profile from Scan on there when I got into the BIOS or the F12 menu. When the first BSOD happened, there was a rebuilding process right after the motherboard booted up, saying there was a CMOS problem and the BIOS was wiped and would need to be rebuilt. If the system doesn't accept the overclock which was part of the package then something by Scan, needs to be done to resolve this.

3) I took all the packaging out (I'm a QA manager - I've built a few systems in my time, probably hundreds). I'll get the readings but I expected it to run hot, however the fans not running at 100% are on the GFX card, not the case. If there is no issue, I'll use something like MSI afterburner to fix the issue myself.

We spend over 1600 quid with you to get a working system I didn't have to bother building and worrying about having to RMA anything, the system runs yet without the overclock and we paid 35 quid for a delivery which included a setup to prove the system worked.

Had he done this, as we paid for, he would have seen the blue screen. This not only did not happen but quite the opposite. I expect some kind of proper response to this problem. I'm starting to wish I built the bloody thing myself.

*edit*

Just to add, I was told on Friday by someone on the phone that I'd be called Monday to discuss some kind of compensation for the courier problem. Still no one has called or offered compensation for this.
    Last edited by mondogenerator; 10-11-2011 at 04:03 PM.

Thread Information