Thread: Question about firewire

Registered+
    Thanks

Question about firewire

Again, I guess this one is aimed and Pete! Sorry Pete.
    Is there a standard firewire port (Texas Instruments) included in the base package of the i7 Power Daw?
    I know you can add a Lycom 2x expansion firewire card.

Thanks

Re: Question about firewire

Pete is not here today but the chipset used is a TI TSB43AB23 Chip which is Texus Intruments hence the reason we use the Gigabyte motherboards hope this helps.

Regards

Error exists between Keyboard & Chair replace User and press Any Key!

.... Where's the Any Key???

Registered+
    Thanks

Hi Paul, thanks.
    But what I was trying to ask is if there is a fireport included in the base package or without the option of the Lycom firewire card?
    cheers,
    Michael.

Thanks

I thought I answered this by saying this is the reason we use the Gigabyte motherboards as they have a TI chipset hence a Firewire port

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P

Specifications on the board can be found above. Any more question please feel free to ask I will be happy to help.

Regards

Error exists between Keyboard & Chair replace User and press Any Key!

.... Where's the Any Key???

Registered+
    Thanks

Hi Paul! lol!
    Yes, I know that the gigabyte mobo's are TI chipset. But I was just asking for instance...
    If I never purchased the extra Lycom expansion card, I would still get say 1 fireport with the pc?
    I only ask as so many pc's these days (especially the off the shelf lot) only come with USB and no firewire.
    Sorry if I sound a pain. Im not the most compture tech minded.

Thanks

Hi there,

Yes indeed the is firewire built onto the board. If you purchase it without the card you get D shape and Mini firewire connections on the back of the board built on. If you have a case with a firewire port on the front panel then the is one header onboard which can be used to connect up the front panel socket.

This means that prior to putting the card (which in most cases you shouldn't have too) in the are 2 x 6 pin powered firewire (Dblock) and 1 x 4 pin none powered (mini) firewire for you to use.

Adding the card will take you upto 4 powered and 1 unpowered connections.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PeteG@Scan View Post
    Hi there,

Yes indeed the is firewire built onto the board. If you purchase it without the card you get D shape and Mini firewire connections on the back of the board built on. If you have a case with a firewire port on the front panel then the is one header onboard which can be used to connect up the front panel socket.

This means that prior to putting the card (which in most cases you shouldn't have too) in the are 2 x 6 pin powered firewire (Dblock) and 1 x 4 pin none powered (mini) firewire for you to use.

Adding the card will take you upto 4 powered and 1 unpowered connections.
    Hi Pete, thanks for clearing that up. Im not sure if Paul understood my question or that I never understood his answer.
    I'll be buying the Kublai (this case has really, really grown on me!!) so one firewire port (6pin) would be enough. 2 would be a reall bonus, four, well I don't think Im gonna need four.
    So the Kublai would get 2 x 6 pins (ready to use) firewire ports?
    cheers,
    Michael.

Thanks

Hi Michael,

I think you were both on the same track, but maybe faceing different directions!

All good though as the Kublai does indeed have a front firewire (as well as a pair of usb) port built into the top of the case aove the door itself so that'll be your second 6 pin port in the computer and you have easy access to it as well.

Registered+
    Thanks

Pete, thankyou ever so much for all the help.
    I'm saving hard for the system and Im about 2-3 months away. I like the current configurations that Scan are offering.
    But without starting another thread, can I ask if the new i7 range of chips are available or soon to be available and any idea on pricing if so?
    regards,
    Michael.

Thanks

I'm not sure if we're due any more new i7's anytime soon. the 975 came out recently at the very top end, but i'm not aware or anymore (doesn't mean the isn't, i'm just not keeping up with all the range changes at the moment).

From what I understand the 920 is to be dropped from the range as it's too close to the i5 range which is due to launch later in the year.

The i5's have duel memory controllers (means twin pack ddr3 and not trichannel solutions like i7) and the memory buss won't be quite as fast, but it's still right up there power wise. Your looking at a few hundread quid saving with a i5 over an i7 solution as it currently stands, but the information available to us, seems to change daily.

Dates for the i5 launch are all pegged somewhere late 3rd or eairly 4th quarter this year. I can't give you a date for certain through as we can't get one ourselves at the moment. If you google it up the's a couple of dates that seem to be populer "informed" guesstimates based on past info, but i'm not really allowed to give anything out on a offical forum like this.

Registered+
    Thanks

Hi Pete,
    One of the new i7's would be the 950 3.06 GHz. I was wondering if this would be the replacement for the current 920?

Thanks

Errr good question. One quick shout down the office indicates that it's out and we have stock (shows on the main website) currently.

It's the direct replacement for the 940. The 920 from what I understand will continue to the end of the year and be replaced by the i5 range when they emerge.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PeteG@Scan View Post
    Errr good question. One quick shout down the office indicates that it's out and we have stock (shows on the main website) currently.

It's the direct replacement for the 940. The 920 from what I understand will continue to the end of the year and be replaced by the i5 range when they emerge.
    Thanks for the info Pete.
    As it stands, I'll still look at getting the 920 before the year is out unless the 950 is at a good price!

Thread Information