Thread: What do I need?

Thanks

What do I need?

Hi, this is my first post and I'd really appreciate some advice. I'm new to music recording, I've been looking into getting a dedicated recording computer for a few months and after much research I've come to the conclusion that getting one from scan is the best option. Despite all of the research I have done I am still not exactly sure what specification computer I need. I only plan to record guitar and keyboard at home for the next year or so and will only be recording a maximum of 2 tracks at a time. I want to be able use and record virtual instruments and add effects and drums. I would prefer to have the mobility of a laptop but not strictly necessary. Would the 'Scan 3XS' to the job for me and could I expect to achieve professional quality recordings? Also, I've been led to believe that it would be wise to buy an additional external hard drive to store virtual instruments, is this correct? HELP!!!! Any advice appreciated, many thanks

Joel

Thanks

Re: What do I need?

Hi Joel,

It all depends on what sort of work you want to do with the system. A good first question is what sort of music are you planning to write and what vsti's are you planning to work with.

You say your recording 2 tracks at a time. Are you planning to do mostly acoustic and fairly organic music (guitars, bass drum, minimal processing) or are you planning to go heavily processed with multiple layers of chopped, edited and effected sounds.

Recording and playing back of tracks isn't really all that intensive. The processing power starts to get eaten up by effects and the vsti instrument side of things so it's handy if you have some sort of idea of the required track count and the sort of vsti's you are looking at running.

The laptops are fairly capable and should handle a dozen channels of fully effected sounds without a problem and are ideal tools for someone working with bands and live situations. If your planning to get into extreme programing territory later on through something with a bit more grunt may pay dividends.

Harddrive wise you need to be installing them on the system really. You need an external drive for backing projects and saving sounds.

Pete.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply Pete. I want a machine with the capability of recording approximately 2 guitar parts, vocals, along with a virtual instrument tracks, such as virtual grand pianos.

Thanks

I was hoping you'd be a bit more specfic in the software you were planning on using.

Vst software can range from the load light enough that the cpu doesn't even notice it, up to something like VSL (orchestra) package that can hammer dual Xeon rig to within an inch of it's life.

Working on the assumption that your looking at 10 or so channels of recorded audio max, some dynamics and effects plug in's on each and say 10 - 15 tracks of an average vsti's I would have said one of the mid range i5 based machines would be more than fine for you.

Have a look at these:

Computer Music review: http://3xs.scan.co.uk/images/awards/p55_litedaw.pdf
    System configurator : http://3xs.scan.co.uk/ShowSystem.asp?SystemID=1019

(the price has dropped a bit since the inital review)

Look those over and try pricing one up, and see what you think. If you get stuck or have anymore questions then fire away.

Pete.

Thread Information