Thread: My Build is it okay, some questions.

Thanks

My Build is it okay, some questions.

Scan G20 System

LN1193 *Hard Drive Not Required*
    LN4833 *No Software Required*
    LN39459 1GB Asus GTX 560 Ti DirectCU II TOP, 40nm, 4200MHz GDDR5, GPU 900MHz, Shader 1800MHz, 384 Cores + Battlefield3 Game

LN40846 500GB Seagate ST500DM002 Barracuda SATA 6Gb/s, 7200rpm, 16MB Cache, 8.5ms, NCQ

LN39754 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Jet Black LP, PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC, CAS 9-9-9-24, XMP, 1.5V

LN40543 Asus P8H61-M LE/USB3 REV 3.0, Intel H61, S 1155, DDR3, SATA II - 3Gb/s, PCIe 2.0 (x16), Micro ATX

LN38955 Asus Xonar DG 5.1 PCI Sound Card & Headphone Ampifier, OEM
    LN34937 Coolermaster Elite 430 Black, With Side Window with Coolermaster Elite 500W PSU

LN42091 Intel Core i3 2130, S 1155, Sandy Bridge, Dual Core 3.4GHz, 3MB Smart Cache, 34x Ratio, 65W, Retail

LN29161 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit SP1, Operating System, Single, - OEM

LN39293 Samsung WriteMaster SH-S222AB/BEBE 22x DVD±R, 12x DVD±R, DVD+RW x8/-RW x6, SATA, Black, OEM

LN41204 Scan Value System Range

18.5" AOC Maskk N941SW Black LCD Monitor, 1366x768, 5ms, 200cd/m², 60,000:1, VESA, USB Dock

Dynamode WL-700N-MRT 11n-150Mbps USB Wireless Adapter

Blaze Black Slim Multimedia Office Keyboard USB

Net Total £613.44
    Carriage £13.98
    VAT £125.49

Total £752.91

Just on budget.

Will this build preform well in BF3/SC2?
    Is the "Carriage" the delivery cost or is that extra?
    Does everything seem compatible?
    Im unsure weather this system is short delivery time (i.e 1-3 days) or will it take longer some places it seems to suggest 3XS systems can take up to 10 days but also this is part of the G20 prebuilt systems so does that mean it is delivered sooner?
    At the top it says
    LN1193 *Hard Drive Not Required*
    LN4833 *No Software Required*

But my order does include Win7 and a harddrive does it not? Dont wont to screw myself.

Appreciate all the help and answers

Thank you.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Re: My Build is it okay, some questions.

Get a different PSU as the Coolermaster Elite 500W is not that great.

Thanks

But will it suffice? because unless there is a cheaper PSU it simply is not an option as I am at max budget.

Thanks

Im chaning to this monitor

18.5" Acer S192HQLbd LED Monitor Black DVI/VGA 1366x768 12000000:1 250cd/m2 5ms

because its has the DVI connector to the gpu

Anything else i have missed?

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Kodark View Post
    But will it suffice? because unless there is a cheaper PSU it simply is not an option as I am at max budget.
    The PSU is the LAST part you should skimp on in any gaming build,especially with cards like the GTX560TI and HD6950 which need a decent amount of amps on the 12V line. On top of this the Asus GTX560TI you have chosen is pre-overclocked meaning it will require even more current. The Coolermaster Elite series are average PSUs - Coolermaster themselves even make much better PSUs. PSUs are often the longest lived component of any system and one component that can damage everything else in the system too if overloaded.

Save up a bit more money - there are quite a few £40 to £50 PSUs that will do the job reliably for a couple years. You can easily get a better PSU if you get 4GB of RAM instead of 8GB - 4GB is still plenty for most games.

Also,don't get the Asus P8H61-M LE/USB3 which is overpriced too.

This Gigabyte costs slightly less and has 4 RAM slots too:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/gigab...hdmi-micro-atx

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Also,the GPU is OTT for your resolution. With your budget an HD6870 or a GTX460 will be more than fast enough at 1366X768.

Thanks

Its the free copy BF3 that draws me to the 560ti

Doing some reading it seems there is more delivery charge than just "carriage" because i am ordering a complete system apparently I'm getting charges £35 for that at the final payment screen? Is this still the case because that charge basically ruins the savings margins i was getting on this site compared to another.

The PSU cannot be changed in this by the way. If you go to the G20 customisation build page you will see that it is locked in, as is the Mboard.

Having an overly powerful GPU cannot be a bad thing as i will still not be able to play BF3 at ultra anyhow.

Thanks
    • dewidaniels's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8P67 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 2600K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XM3 memory
      • Storage:
      • 2 x WD RE4 1TB in RAID 1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GT 240 Silent
      • PSU:
      • Antec TruePower New 650W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Server Standard 2008 R2

I agree with Cat-The-Fifth that you shouldn't economise on the PSU. I also agree that 8GB RAM is overkill, and that reducing to 4GB RAM would pay for a better PSU.

LN34937 comes bundled with the PSU. You want LN34936, which is the same case without the PSU.

Give Scan a call. They're very flexible (you're not limited to the options selectable on the website). In my experience, their PC build team can offer very good advice about choice of components.

Thanks

You guys make it sound like if I buy this prebuilt system the PSU will fry my components on bootup. Scan wouldnt offer if as an option as part of the system (and the system above it) if it was going to fry my board would they?

Regarding 8gb ram i have read that BF3 runs alot better on 8gb than 4gb.

Can anyone help me with my other questions?

Thanks appreciate time.

HEXUS.social member Disturbedguy's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Disturbedguy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rog Strix Z370-H Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i7 8700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair something or other
      • Storage:
      • 1 x Samsung 960 EVO (250GB) 1 x Samsung 850 EVO (500GB)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1080Ti
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32inch Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • Crap

Quote Originally Posted by Kodark View Post
    You guys make it sound like if I buy this prebuilt system the PSU will fry my components on bootup. Scan wouldnt offer if as an option as part of the system (and the system above it) if it was going to fry my board would they?

Regarding 8gb ram i have read that BF3 runs alot better on 8gb than 4gb.

Can anyone help me with my other questions?

Thanks appreciate time.
    No people are trying to give you advice in regards to the PSU, yet you seem to be just ignoring them, which WILL come back to bite you should the PSU ever fail.
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKTAK View Post
    It didn't fall off, it merely became insufficient at it's purpose and got a bit droopy...

Thanks
    • JamieCortez's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Biostar 890FXe
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom IIx6 1075T 3GHZ
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Ripjaw DDR3 1333
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon 5850 Black Edition LE
      • PSU:
      • 750W Powercool
      • Case:
      • Coolmaster Elite
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 21" and Acer 21"
      • Internet:
      • 30MB Fibre Optic

They are giving you solid advice on areas of your build that are not ok and you'd be better off long term by replacing the PSU for a better one.

My question to you is do you require a full rebuild? do you already have a monitor you can use? a copy of windows? Do you already have a CD drive you could swap from the old PC to the new, drop from 8GB to 4Gb its plenty.
    All of the above will save you some cash from your budget to upgrade the PSU (You can ask scan on the phone to do this they have done for others) or can you wait an extra month save a bit more you could take a look at one of the other 3xs systems the i5 2500k (3XS Z68 Performance GTS) system is a fantastic price/power system for gaming.
    Last edited by Chris P; 11-01-2012 at 03:05 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JamieCortez View Post
    Seriously they are not trolling, you OP has a title that asks if your build is ok?.

They are giving you solid advice on areas of your build that are not ok and you'd be better off long term by replacing the PSU for a better one.

My question to you is do you require a full rebuild? do you already have a monitor you can use? a copy of windows? Do you already have a CD drive you could swap from the old PC to the new, drop from 8GB to 4Gb its plenty.
    All of the above will save you some cash from your budget to upgrade the PSU (You can ask scan on the phone to do this they have done for others) or can you wait an extra month save a bit more you could take a look at one of the other 3xs systems the i5 2500k (3XS Z68 Performance GTS) system is a fantastic price/power system for gaming.
    I appreciate what you are saying, however you have to understand people give me their opinons and they all differ wildly. Some people say the PC is trash some say its fine, some say 8gb is preferable for BF3 and future titles, some say its pointless. So unless someone presents me with some hard evidence I must take every opinion with a pinch of salt.

The above PSU was described as "average" which seems fine for me as that is what most of the system is, an average budget gaming pc. The Mboard is not fit to upgrade to the next series of intel CPU's, so as long as the PSU is satisfactory for this build i need not worry about the upgrade path as i will merely give the unit to family/friend and rebuy everything when that time comes, I was not born yesterday I have done a lot of research to try and find the best possible system for a £750 budget obviously a better PSU, a z68 Mboard, a 2gb gpu a larger screen and a i5 2500k would be preferable and would already be listed if it was in budget. What i wanted to know from this thread was if the build was compatible and would run BF3 and SC2 at decent quality and good performance.

In response to your questions i do not have any parts or OS to use i need a full system with everything except mouse as my laptop is on its last legs. I cannot wait another month and even if i could a better deal could be had a month after that, this is the nature of PC technology.

HEXUS.social member Disturbedguy's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Disturbedguy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rog Strix Z370-H Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i7 8700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair something or other
      • Storage:
      • 1 x Samsung 960 EVO (250GB) 1 x Samsung 850 EVO (500GB)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1080Ti
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32inch Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • Crap

Carriage = Delivery Cost
    Its a bundle, the items wouldn't be bundled if they weren't compatible.
    Delivery depends on how busy they are and how many systems they have to build before they get to yours.
    Spec lists the hard drive you I would imagine you get the hard drive listed.

And again the PSU, just because it is recommended doesn't mean it is anything better than a poor/ average power supply (no offense SCAN). The system you have chosen is a "value" system which means money will be saved on some parts, wherever possible for SCAN to do so.

IF the PSU goes it could take system components with it, if there is a surge, that doesn't actually kill the PSU it could still damage components in your PC.
    Last edited by Chris P; 11-01-2012 at 03:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKTAK View Post
    It didn't fall off, it merely became insufficient at it's purpose and got a bit droopy...

Thanks

The system will run BF3/SC2 fine, though you may find you want to get a bigger hard drive if you can fit it into your budget as even 500GB seems to run out fast these days. Actually on the scan page for that particular machine, it says its BF3 ready.

Also I would keep the 8GB of ram, for the difference in price between 4GB you might as well do, you never know you may want to do 3d rendering one day or something else that would make use of that ram.

Carriage as its before the total would be the delivery cost I assume and is included in the final total.

I think the hard drive not required bit actually refers to the SSD drive thats an option and I guess you haven't selected it so its that that is showing as not required.

Other than that your good to go, happy gaming
    Jon

Thanks

Guys -

Keep the thread civil...

Thanks

Kodark

The Value range of systems are pre-built and ready to ship, outside of the options presented they are not really configurable, this allows us to ship them same day, which is where these systems are aimed at, whilst being high spec.

The specifications are pre-tested and I can assure everyone the components used or more than sufficient for the specification and the options available....

We use DPD for these systems and can ship them as standard for £7.99 + VAT..

There is a disclaimer, saying up to 10 day's, however this only applies for 3XS systems, which are bespoke and built to order...Carriage for 3XS system's is £35.00 + VAT as we have to use a different courier, due to their extra weight and complexity, we have had issues sending 3XS systems via DPD, so we use Netsolve, who only deliver our systems. This charge also includes setup...

We have not had issues sending the Value systems via DPD, so there has been no need to use Netsolve for these systems.

Any other queries please let me know.

Best Regards

Thread Information