• Case:
      • Raven
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional (x64)
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24'' Dell

Intermittent Booting Issue

Evening!

I have a bit of an issue with my machine that has been happening since I bought it (the entire system is from scan), but it doesn't seem to happen particularly often so i'm not TOO worried about it, but thought it was worth mentioning in case it could cause problems at some point.

Sometimes when I boot my machine up when getting up in the morning/home from work/whatever it will boot up, the fans will start going at full whack as they do and then...Just keep whirring...And then my PC will turn off after about 5-7 seconds or so. It doesn't seem to do this very often though, but when I turn my machine on I'm using it for a good number of hours and I've had absolutely no problems with it other than some faulty memory which Scan kindly replaced. Once it turns off, it'l turn itself back on again, but this time it'l work fine and after a few seconds the fans will calm down and it'l boot. Most of the time it seems to be fine on it's own. When the machine is booted up I've not had any problems.

I spoke to one of my colleagues at work (he has a hardware background) and he suspects that it could be because the CPU is overclocked. Could it be something to do with the voltage when its in POST? and some kind of failsafe to prevent my hardware from being damaged? Is this correct?

If it's quite a normal thing to happen and/or it's not doing any damage to my hardware i'm quite happy as I am, but thought it was worth checking.

The only other problem before getting into the OS that I've had is it saying the overclock failed, and it'l just sit there. This has only happened perhaps 3-4 times since i've had the hardware (about 2 1/2 months?), and hasn't done it recently. I believe some of those times is when I've reseated RAM. I'm hoping it's not really an issue, because I find changing motherboards/processors a pain!

Thanks!

Thanks
    • drharvey12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Rampage IV Extreme
      • CPU:
      • Intel 3960X (C2) @ 4.6ghz (Watercooled)
      • Memory:
      • Corsair X79 Memory Dominator GT 16GB DDR3 2133 MHz CAS 9 XMP DHX Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Corsair FORCE & (2x) Crucial M4 512GB SSD's & 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K & 1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x POV TGT Beast GTX 680's in SLI (Watercooled)
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1000
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 800D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG278HE Nvidia 3D Vision 2 @ 144hz
      • Internet:
      • 100MB Virgin Media Cable Broadband

Re: Intermittent Booting Issue

Hi Duresthar.

That doesn't sound normal to me. It could be some kind of failsafe as you said.

It might be worth taking a note of your overclock settings and try setting everything to default settings and see if the problem still occurs. I've got a SCAN system and mine was setup with a stock clock and an overclocked profile in my BIOS so I can change between them if necessary. Yours might be similarly set up. At least this will eliminate an overclocking issue and allow you to play games or do whatever without any problems unitl you are able to properly diagnose and fix the problem.

Was this a system you put together yourself or was it a 3XS system built by SCAN? I'm assuming it's a 3XS system as you have posted it in this forum in which case if you've only had it 2½ months I would seriously think about ringing the SCAN hardware helpline and asking them to go through some troubleshooting over the phone with you. If you have an onsite warranty with them they'll send someone out to fix it for you if they believe it to be a hardware issue.

They've been pretty decent to me when I've had to speak to them. Whilst they do get quite busy at times I've found that leaving my name and number with them will get a phonecall back without fail within 24hours or so.

Hope you get it sorted anyway

3. Received thanks from:

Philipp (11-06-2012)

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Duresthar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8Z68-V GEN3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-2700K
      • Memory:
      • 4096 MB Corsair 9 @ 667 MHz (x4)
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Corsair Force 3 SSD ATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 850W CMPSU-850AXUK
      • Case:
      • Raven
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24'' Dell

Quote Originally Posted by drharvey12 View Post
    Hi Duresthar.

That doesn't sound normal to me. It could be some kind of failsafe as you said.

It might be worth taking a note of your overclock settings and try setting everything to default settings and see if the problem still occurs. I've got a SCAN system and mine was setup with a stock clock and an overclocked profile in my BIOS so I can change between them if necessary. Yours might be similarly set up. At least this will eliminate an overclocking issue and allow you to play games or do whatever without any problems unitl you are able to properly diagnose and fix the problem.

Was this a system you put together yourself or was it a 3XS system built by SCAN? I'm assuming it's a 3XS system as you have posted it in this forum in which case if you've only had it 2½ months I would seriously think about ringing the SCAN hardware helpline and asking them to go through some troubleshooting over the phone with you. If you have an onsite warranty with them they'll send someone out to fix it for you if they believe it to be a hardware issue.

They've been pretty decent to me when I've had to speak to them. Whilst they do get quite busy at times I've found that leaving my name and number with them will get a phonecall back without fail within 24hours or so.

Hope you get it sorted anyway
    Hi Harvey,

Thanks for the response! I guess i'll give them a ring when I get a chance. Hopefully it's just a configuration issue but I spose i'd better sort it out before something happens 1 day after my warranty expires.

Thanks
    • Philipp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ROG Impact
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung Evo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 550W RMX
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Node
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" ROG Swift
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 20Mb

Hello Duresthar;

Ben and Sanjay are your best port of call you can either contact them on 0871-472-4747, or drop me a mail (philipp@scan.co.uk) with your number and a suitable time and ill have them call you.

Best Regards

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Duresthar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-2700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Raven
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24'' Dell

Hi Phillip,

Great stuff, thanks! I'm a bit restricted on my availability, so that sounds like the best plan.

7. Received thanks from:

Philipp (11-06-2012)

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Duresthar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-2700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Raven
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24'' Dell

Had a productive conversation with Mick, just thought i'd update the thread with the outcome for anyone elses sake as well. It turns out the type of motherboard I have and I think a similar Gigabyte motherboard seem to experience this issue and it's been reported by other customers as well, but it appears to be more of a feature of the board likely to do with the voltage on the processor due to the overclock. I was advised it was nothing to worry about, unless it gets worse then to get in contact again. A considerable relief, thanks a lot guys, I appreciate the support!

Thread Information