Thread: Changed Bios Profile, now Windows won't start

Thanks

Changed Bios Profile, now Windows won't start

I decided to change the bios profile to the standard profile, to compare the cpu temps to that of the overclock profile. However, since I've done that Windows will not start up properly, I can get to the system repair screen but I can't start Windows up normally. I also can't access the Bios to return the profile to its previous state.

Any suggestions?

Kendoka - Kendo For Life! IronWarrior's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Changed Bios Profile, now Windows won't start

Are you saying the PC when started does not finish the BIOS start up? (Before it even trys to load Windows)

Can you explain what happens soon as you press the power button.

This is early... but my first guess is that because you changed the profile. BIOS has the wrong HDD listed (One without an OS) in the boot menu. If this is true, you need to select the HDD that has the OS installed and move it to the top of the HDD list, then in the boot menu, make sure it's there.

Thanks

What happens is I push the power button and when the American Megatrends screen appears I push the delete key to access the Bios, only it doesn't. It'll then continue to try and load up windows, only to freeze on the "Starting Windows" screen. It'll then restart and tell me to either start the computer normally (it'll still freeze at the same spot), or go to system repair, which I can do but I have no idea how it'll help fix the problem.

EDIT - I've managed to fix it, I let the system repair go through its process, which did nothing to fix anything but did allow me to shut down the computer normally. I was then able to get back into the BIOS to revert to the overclocked profile (can't think of any problem that was solved by overclocking a pc before!) which got Windows working again. Apologies for any time wasted. The only thing that perplexes me is why changing to the standard bios profile would cause Windows to freeze upon startup, as it was still able to access the system repair with no problems.
    Last edited by FrozenLuffy; 30-09-2012 at 10:18 PM.

Thanks

Could be a number of things. Windows won't like hardware profile changes too much. Most likely cause would be a hard disk mode it's using. Either that or a change in the IRQ or something like that.

Thanks

I'll keep that in mind for future reference, thanks.

Thread Information