Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reducing overclock and bios

Registered+
    Thanks

Reducing overclock and bios

I bought a 3XS i7 Ivybridge system a while back. This was pre-overlocked to 4.2ghz. Up until recently this worked great, I think the heat over the last week has started to cause some problems with encoding video. I am not 100% sure it is due to the heat, but I can't think what else would be causing it. Simply speaking, on more than one items of video making software, the encode will fail at random points, usually near the start. The heat on my CPU reaches 76 degrees under load, which I thought would be okay for load. I have the side of the case off to let as much heat out as possible. The PC works fine on everything except video encoding. Sometimes the encode will fail and occasionally I will get a BSOD, but it is mainly a failed encode that occurs. Another reason I think it may be heat, and this could be coincidental, but the encode gets further and sometimes completes when encoding at night. Earlier on today at 6pm the encode would not get past 3% no matter how many PC resets and retries and it would get to 74 to 76 degree temp, but now at 2am it is going beyond 20% and still going as I type, and is at a slightly cooler 66 to 70 degrees. This has happened with various other files before the one I am currently doing now.

This is with many different source files, so I know it is not the files at fault. The software I use is TMPGEnc Authoring Works and also their software called Mastering Works. They take the CPU load up to around 93%. What confuses me though is that the encode will mostly fail, rather than the PC reset (I get the occasional BSOD but it mainly just fails), so if it was due to over heating surely the PC would crash and reset ? Any ideas what it could be ? As mentioned I have an i7, with 16gb ram with Gigabyte motherboard.

Could someone possibly tell me how to reduce the CPU overclock down to say 4.1ghz or 4ghz ? I am a total newbie when it comes to overclocking, hence why I asked for this to pre-overclocked. I am fairly sure it is due to this as I have Internal Parity Errors (Event ID 19) in my Admin logs. As mentioned, everything was fine until this recent heatwave, my room reaches 36 degrees during the day.

Secondly, how can I access bios easily ? I have a KVM setup and it won't work with bios. Also when I connect a USB keyboard (which I bought just for a bios keyboard) direct to the PC to get to bios I find I have to remove every other USB cable that is connected to the PC so that only the keyboard is connected before it will allow me to access bios. My motherboard does not have PS/2 sockets. This is also annoying for trying to access other pre-OS options such as raid and OS selection, unless everything else is unplugged it won't work, and it still won't work via KVM.

Thanks for any help !!

Invoice : E1891234
    Last edited by JonUK; 13-07-2013 at 02:52 AM.

Thanks
    • ekamdeep's system
      • Motherboard:
      • gigabyte h61
      • CPU:
      • i7 2600
      • Memory:
      • 8 gb gskill 1600
      • Storage:
      • 1 tb western digital
      • Graphics card(s):
      • r9 290 reference
      • PSU:
      • 1200 watt ax corsair
      • Case:
      • haf 932
      • Operating System:
      • win 7 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 17 inch dell
      • Internet:
      • shaw 25 mbit/s

Re: Reducing overclock and bios

run prime 24 or intel burn test and look for errors

Registered+
    Thanks

I ran Prime 95 and that seemed to be error free, it is so odd though, it works after 1am and before 10am, it must be the heat. But my PC seems to run okay, it is mainly just the encodes stopping, so my PC seems be able to cope with the heat, but the encoding can't (if it is the heat).

I will try the Intel burn test.

Thanks
    • ekamdeep's system
      • Motherboard:
      • gigabyte h61
      • CPU:
      • i7 2600
      • Memory:
      • 8 gb gskill 1600
      • Storage:
      • 1 tb western digital
      • Graphics card(s):
      • r9 290 reference
      • PSU:
      • 1200 watt ax corsair
      • Case:
      • haf 932
      • Operating System:
      • win 7 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 17 inch dell
      • Internet:
      • shaw 25 mbit/s

monitor your temps when running prime or burn test and if they are manageable then i think something is bad with software
    you can also try memtest 86 to check your ram

Thanks
    • Ben @ Scan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Evga X58 Sli LE
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core I7 920@4.5Gig
      • Memory:
      • 6 Gig Corsair DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 1 x Intel 80 Gig SSD & 2 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GTX 580
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 1000 Watt
      • Case:
      • Silver Temjin 07 (Silverstone)
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Iiyama
      • Internet:
      • 50mb Virgin Media

Hi JonUK

As you have an Overclocked Bundle I have passed this to them to look into on your behalf and advise on some lower Overclock settings to test

Regards

Ben

Thanks
    • JimmyBoy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VI ROG Hero
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770k @ 4.4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250gb Samsung 840 SSD / 3tb Seagate / 1tb Western Digital
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HiS ATi Radeon HD 7950
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster GX 650w
      • Case:
      • Bit Fenix Shinobi XL
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" LG IPS277L-BN 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 120mb down 10mb up

What are you cooling your CPU with? This heat makes a big difference! Maybe add another fan to your case also. Make sure your exhaust fans are decent.

Registered+
    Thanks

Thanks everyone. I am using the Dark fan, can't remember the full title of it as it came with the system. It has been great and silent, but I think this heatwave and being in a summerhouse is just pushing it beyond what is okay for an over clocked PC. Although it is strange that it stays under 80 degrees but the encodings still fail.

Thanks Ben, please let me know what is suggested, also any ideas why it is so difficult to get in to bios ?

Thanks
    • JimmyBoy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VI ROG Hero
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770k @ 4.4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250gb Samsung 840 SSD / 3tb Seagate / 1tb Western Digital
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HiS ATi Radeon HD 7950
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster GX 650w
      • Case:
      • Bit Fenix Shinobi XL
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" LG IPS277L-BN 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 120mb down 10mb up

80 degrees seems a bit hot! I'm not sure what your chip is supposed to be able to take but if I saw my CPU at 80c I'd pull the power lead out immediately lol

Thanks
    • ekamdeep's system
      • Motherboard:
      • gigabyte h61
      • CPU:
      • i7 2600
      • Memory:
      • 8 gb gskill 1600
      • Storage:
      • 1 tb western digital
      • Graphics card(s):
      • r9 290 reference
      • PSU:
      • 1200 watt ax corsair
      • Case:
      • haf 932
      • Operating System:
      • win 7 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 17 inch dell
      • Internet:
      • shaw 25 mbit/s

80+ is way to high may this is what is the cause of problem tell them to give you a good cooler or reduce the oc
    although the encoding speed will reduce with lower oc tell them to replace the cooler since it is their duty to give you a stable pc

Registered+
    Thanks

To be fair it only gets to about 75 degrees, it can increase to around 78 at a quick spike, but constant it stays below 75 degrees. It hasn't gone over 80 degrees yet. I do have the case fully off though, this is because one of the case fans failed so I thought I would just open it up. I am unsure what temp an overclock should reach to be considered safe. Hopefully Ben will give me instructions on how to lower the overclock slightly, maybe just to 4.2ghz, it is showing up as 4.3ghz at the moment (not 4.2ghz as first thought).

Thanks
    • ekamdeep's system
      • Motherboard:
      • gigabyte h61
      • CPU:
      • i7 2600
      • Memory:
      • 8 gb gskill 1600
      • Storage:
      • 1 tb western digital
      • Graphics card(s):
      • r9 290 reference
      • PSU:
      • 1200 watt ax corsair
      • Case:
      • haf 932
      • Operating System:
      • win 7 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 17 inch dell
      • Internet:
      • shaw 25 mbit/s

to reduce overclock go to bios and then into advanced settings and reduce the blck by 2-5 points and again check for stability

Thanks
    • ekamdeep's system
      • Motherboard:
      • gigabyte h61
      • CPU:
      • i7 2600
      • Memory:
      • 8 gb gskill 1600
      • Storage:
      • 1 tb western digital
      • Graphics card(s):
      • r9 290 reference
      • PSU:
      • 1200 watt ax corsair
      • Case:
      • haf 932
      • Operating System:
      • win 7 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 17 inch dell
      • Internet:
      • shaw 25 mbit/s

tell me what is the model of your motherboard

HEXUS.social member Disturbedguy's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Disturbedguy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rog Strix Z370-H Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i7 8700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair something or other
      • Storage:
      • 1 x Samsung 960 EVO (250GB) 1 x Samsung 850 EVO (500GB)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1080Ti
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32inch Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • Crap

Quote Originally Posted by ekamdeep View Post
    tell me what is the model of your motherboard
    Leave it for the SCAN guys to sort out, you couldn't possibly know what settings they are or aren't using.
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKTAK View Post
    It didn't fall off, it merely became insufficient at it's purpose and got a bit droopy...

3XS Overclocked Bundles Aaron@Scan's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JonUK View Post
    I bought a 3XS i7 Ivybridge system a while back. This was pre-overlocked to 4.2ghz. Up until recently this worked great, I think the heat over the last week has started to cause some problems with encoding video. I am not 100% sure it is due to the heat, but I can't think what else would be causing it. Simply speaking, on more than one items of video making software, the encode will fail at random points, usually near the start. The heat on my CPU reaches 76 degrees under load, which I thought would be okay for load. I have the side of the case off to let as much heat out as possible. The PC works fine on everything except video encoding. Sometimes the encode will fail and occasionally I will get a BSOD, but it is mainly a failed encode that occurs. Another reason I think it may be heat, and this could be coincidental, but the encode gets further and sometimes completes when encoding at night. Earlier on today at 6pm the encode would not get past 3% no matter how many PC resets and retries and it would get to 74 to 76 degree temp, but now at 2am it is going beyond 20% and still going as I type, and is at a slightly cooler 66 to 70 degrees. This has happened with various other files before the one I am currently doing now.

This is with many different source files, so I know it is not the files at fault. The software I use is TMPGEnc Authoring Works and also their software called Mastering Works. They take the CPU load up to around 93%. What confuses me though is that the encode will mostly fail, rather than the PC reset (I get the occasional BSOD but it mainly just fails), so if it was due to over heating surely the PC would crash and reset ? Any ideas what it could be ? As mentioned I have an i7, with 16gb ram with Gigabyte motherboard.

Could someone possibly tell me how to reduce the CPU overclock down to say 4.1ghz or 4ghz ? I am a total newbie when it comes to overclocking, hence why I asked for this to pre-overclocked. I am fairly sure it is due to this as I have Internal Parity Errors (Event ID 19) in my Admin logs. As mentioned, everything was fine until this recent heatwave, my room reaches 36 degrees during the day.

Secondly, how can I access bios easily ? I have a KVM setup and it won't work with bios. Also when I connect a USB keyboard (which I bought just for a bios keyboard) direct to the PC to get to bios I find I have to remove every other USB cable that is connected to the PC so that only the keyboard is connected before it will allow me to access bios. My motherboard does not have PS/2 sockets. This is also annoying for trying to access other pre-OS options such as raid and OS selection, unless everything else is unplugged it won't work, and it still won't work via KVM.

Thanks for any help !!

Invoice : E1891234
    Hi,

To reduce the overclock, simply reduce the CPU ratio in the BIOS from 42 to 40, leave all other settings the same. If the issue continues then also reduce the CPU voltage by around 0.05V to attempt to reduce the heat. Bear in mind that even though the CPU core temperatures seem fine, other components such as the VRMs or the memory may be running too hot. However, a reduction in overclock will help with this.

KVM switches can cause issues with BIOSs but I am unsure why a direct connection via USB would cause an error. Please ensure that all USB boot features are fully enabled in the BIOS and see if this helps.

Thanks,

Registered+
    Thanks

The CPU clock frequency ratio is only showing as being on 35 in the bios ? On the front main screen it shows the CPU Frequency as 4291mhz, so I can see it is overclocked, but on the actual ratio page it shows up as 35 with 3.50mhz underneath. See photo attached.

I have a Gigabyte UEFI motherboard, unsure of model. Bios version F14.

Last edited by JonUK; 18-07-2013 at 04:43 PM.

Thanks
    • ekamdeep's system
      • Motherboard:
      • gigabyte h61
      • CPU:
      • i7 2600
      • Memory:
      • 8 gb gskill 1600
      • Storage:
      • 1 tb western digital
      • Graphics card(s):
      • r9 290 reference