Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Radeon 8970m in LG1710?

Registered+
    Thanks

Radeon 8970m in LG1710?

I've seen a number of other Clevo resellers offer an 8970m GPU option with their equivalents of the LG1710, but you only seem to offer the GeForce 770m or 780m.

Will you be adding an option for the Radeon at all or can you only do the GeForce cards?

Thanks

Re: Radeon 8970m in LG1710?

Hi Alex

We'll have the 8970M as an option on the LG1710 in a few weeks time. I can't be specific on pricing yet, but it'll be a bit more than the 770M, but a lot cheaper than the 780M.

Registered+
    Thanks

Ah awesome, thanks for the quick response. I'm just investigating the options right now as I won't be able to order until november so a few weeks would be good. I'm heavily leaning towards ordering from you guys as your prices are just that much better than everywhere else and I've used Scan for components quite a lot over the years

On a different subject, I made another post a few days ago but it didn't get answered, so I'll ask the question again here. Do you have the option of an additional power-brick with your laptops? It's not wildly important but would be an extra convenience.

Thanks

Sorry, I saw your other post but forgot to reply to it.

However, we will be adding extra power bricks and extra batteries as options on all our laptops soon too

If it swings it even more in our favour, I'd also point that out that most Clevo resellers only offer a 1 year warranty, whereas Scan does a 2 year warranty (apart from the screen, which unfortunately is only 1 year).

Registered+
    Thanks

Cool, thanks, I'll definitely be buying from you guys

One last question, what type of screen is on LG1710? Glossy or Matte? I assume its standard gamut rating, not the high 90% gamut?

Thanks

It's a matte screen, as while gloss looks better in photos (marketing and all that), the matte screens are actually more comfortable to use on a daily basis.

Registered+
    Thanks

Nice, Matte is my preference so that's great.

Registered+
    Thanks

Just another couple of questions. Am I correcting in thinking this is based on the P170SM, not the P177SM? There seems to be a bit of a weight difference between the two chassis, are there any other differences?

Also how is the multi-monitor support with the laptop? It has both HDMI and a DisplayPort, can they both be used for external monitors while still using the integrated screen or can it only support two displays at once? I also read that external displays can only use the Intel graphics chip, not the nvidia/radeon GPU, is this correct or was I misinformed?
    Last edited by AlexDarby; 02-09-2013 at 02:49 PM.

Thanks

Hi Alex, yes our LG1710 is based on the P170SM, not the P177SM.

We think the P170SM is superior because the P177SM is heavier and has a ghastly illuminated touchpad with a really horrible unchangable symbol on it.

As far as multiple displays go, I haven't tried it myself, but according to the Clevo manual you can use both video outputs at the same time while using the integrated screen.

To be honest I'm not sure about which GPU drives multiple displays. I have a sneaking suspicion that it's the onboard Intel, not the discrete NVIDIA/AMD as all display data is routed through the Intel chip.

Registered+
    Thanks

Cool, thanks again for the quick response! The symbol on the P177SM's touchpad definitely looks ugly, I'm glad the P170SM doesn't have it haha. It does have the backlit keyboard though?

Glad to hear both outputs should be supported at the same time as the main screen, my current machine (a massive clevo x7200) only supports two displays at one time, so if I'm using a HDMI and DVI screen the integrated screen turns off so being able to use a third display is a big plus being a web developer.

As all display data is routed through the Intel chip, I wonder if that means the discrete card could still be used to render games and have it pump through the Intel chip to the HDMI? It's not a big deal I'm just a bit concerned about not being able to play games on the TV on the rare occasions I want to do that, but its not vital.

Registered+
    Thanks

Me again, hope I'm not too annoying with so many questions

What's the performance of the 1TB Travelstar like compared to the 1TB Seagate Hybrid? I assume they're both SATA-III, but does the higher RPM HDD work out better than having a lower RPM Hybrid? Is it better to have one of each with the hybrid as the boot drive?

Also, do you offer 16gb of RAM as 2x8gb instead of 4x4gb? I ask necause it looks like the cost difference of the components on Scan's main website is negligible and having 2x8gb would certainly make upgrading at a later point easier

Another thing I've yet to consider: Is there much difference in noise/heat between the LG1510 and the LG1710? And how noticeable is the weight difference between the two? Reason I ask is because, as I mentioned in my last post, I'm currently using a hulk of an x7200 which, while still plenty powerful, is very heavy, hot and noisy and not particularly enjoyable to use. I was looking at the LG1710 because I'm used to a 17" screen and would like 2 HDD's, but if the LG1510 isn't any louder/hotter than it's 17" sibling (I was under the impression being smaller meant less airflow and the fans needed to work harder) and the weight difference is worthwhile, I may just go for that instead and get one of those fancy 3TB external drives to make up for the storage.

Thanks

Hi Alex

We've now added the AMD Radeon HD 8970M as an option to the LG1510 and LG1710.

Plus we've also added four whole new laptops too.

Registered+
    Thanks

Awesome, that's great to hear. Amazing price on the 8970 too! Is the option for the additional power supply still going to be added to the lg1710?

Registered+
    Thanks

This thread caught my attention for two reasons:

1) I have just ordered a LG1710 with a 8970M inside it.
    2) I am also an Alex D.!

I only ordered last night, but I'm rather excited

Registered+
    Thanks

Haha that is a coincidence!

I'm still deciding what exactly to get, torn between the 770m and 8970m. The radeon is obviously the stronger performer, but I do rather enjoy PhysX effects in the games I play and the new ShadowPlay feature sounds neat. Then again Mantle sounds like it could be awesome.

I'm also thinking about going for the LG1510 instead of the LG1710, though hard drive space is an issue in the 15" one. Not counting the mSATA, 1tb is alright, but it would be handy to have a second drive or at least a bigger one. I did see a 1.5tb travelstar drive available somewhere recently which would be rather ace, then again that would be tempting to get two of those in the LG1710 if they were available.

Such hard decisions!

Edit: I just saw Scan have a 2tb Western Digital Green laptop drive on the main site, is it possible to have one of those put into a 3XS laptop?
    Last edited by AlexDarby; 31-10-2013 at 11:57 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

I'll leave the techy question to someone more qualified.

The way I see it, the increase in general performance between the 770m and the 8970m, for the amount Scan are asking, was a no-brainer - all the extra special effects and whatnot aren't as important to me as getting that little bit extra - especially in a laptop, where upgrades aren't as straightforward. If I could afford a 780m, I'd have got one straight away.

On the size front, mine is a proper replacement for my desktop, so I went for a nice big one (ooer). On the plus side, I'm turning my desktop into NAS, so space is not so much of a problem - although I have got an SSD and a 1TB Travelstar inside my build.

I currently have a 15" slim-build Samsung, which is all well and good for now, but sometimes the size of the screen does get on my nerves. On the plus side, I'm quite large, so lugging a few kilos around, scale-wise, isn't so big a deal on the rare occasion it happens

Thread Information