Thread: Parts downgraded with no approval

Thanks

Parts downgraded with no approval

Ordered a barebones system nearly 3 weeks ago which failed stress test 4 or 5 times. Received it on Friday (9/5/14) but only got round to build last night (10/5/14). Surprised that there was no box for my H100 water cooler in the packaging. The radiator and coolers were definitely from H100 but the cooling block clearly wasn't; there were no fan connectors on the block itself and neither was there the 3 way control button on top. At first I thought that maybe I'd got an H100i, but with no fan connector or USB connector on the block, again this couldn't be the case.

In fact, what I have is an H60 cooling block connected to a H100 radiator and fan(s). This is not what I ordered and not suitable for what I want; to not contact me before doing this is very underhanded behavior. I have submitted a complaint to Scan regarding this and am awaiting an answer; to be fair I have used Scan for years and have always been very happy with their service but I cannot accept this type of practice. I would rather have been informed that the H100 was out of stock with none due in - then I would have ordered the H100i, this lack of consideration towards the customer is shocking. I hope this is a one off and not normal practice for Scan because I have to wonder how many people actually check what they have received against their order for these prebuilt systems.

Thanks

Re: Parts downgraded with no approval

Sorry to hear about the problem with your order. Could you please post or PM me your invoice number so I can look into what has happened?

Thanks

Hi James, thanks for the quick reply. The invoice number is 00E2245476.

Thanks

Thanks for posting your invoice number.

I've checked what was ordered and the CPU cooler with your OC15 bundle was the custom OEM version of the Corsair H100 that Scan supplies with overclocked bundles and PCs, not the retail Corsair H100 or H100i.

I'm sorry that the product is different from what you expected, but we clearly advertise this as a custom version as you can see on our website where it's described as:

Corsair H100 hydro cooler with dual SP120L fans & custom 3XS pump cap.

We've worked closely with Corsair to develop this custom version which as you've noted does differ from the retail H100i in a number of ways. The benefit to customers such as yourself as that it costs approx 10% less than the H100i.

Thanks

Hi James, that is a most disappointing and unsatisfactory response.

I've checked what was ordered and the CPU cooler with your OC15 bundle was the custom OEM version of the Corsair H100 that Scan supplies with overclocked bundles and PCs, not the retail Corsair H100 or H100i.
    Please point out where it states OEM on your site. The only thing I can find is that I would receive all retail boxes - there is no mention of OEM.

Corsair H100 hydro cooler with dual SP120L fans & custom 3XS pump cap.
    According to that statement the cap is the only thing customised - so why does the cooling block on the pump not have the fan headers? They are not on the cap of an H100 pump but the cooling block itself. My cap by the way was not fitted, it was still in its plastic bag. So why then is there no original H100 cap on it, with a control button? It just has the Corsair logo on it like the H60 does. My cooling block has no fan header either, like the H60. So, the cooling block of an H60 plus the cap of an H60 = customised H100 pump? Do me a favour. It's an H60 pump with an H100 radiator and fan, plain and simple. It would be more accurate to advertise it as a customised H60 because in fact the extra functionality of the H100 (on pump fan control) doesn't exist, how can it possibly be an H100?

We've worked closely with Corsair to develop this custom version which as you've noted does differ from the retail H100i in a number of ways.
    Are you saying that you worked closely with Corsair and accepted that an H60 pump with an H100 fan and radiator is in fact a custom H100? I'm afraid someone didn't do their due diligence if that is the case. I find it difficult to believe that Scan would allow the wool to be pulled over their eyes so easily. What does your custom H80 look like? Could you post a photo please? An H80 is simply an H100 pump with a smaller fan and radiator. If we follow your logic about customisation then the 3XS version is simply a boxed H60.

The benefit to customers such as yourself as that it costs approx 10% less than the H100i.
    I did not buy an H100i, I bought an H100 which is about 10% cheaper than an H100i anyway. An H60 is half the price of an H100, so in fact it is more accurate to say that I have paid 100% over the odds for my cooler. Furthermore there are additional drawbacks of such a solution; with no fan control on the pump my fans are on full blast all the time, which is both noisy (very) and inefficient as it draws more power. Your "customised" solution is worse than the retail version, who on earth would do that? I'd rather pay 10% more for the original any day of the week.

As I say, your response is disappointing and I do not consider the matter resolved. I would like to know where we go from here? Personally, I am willing to upgrade my purchase to a retail H100i and give you back your "customised" H100. If I need to phone customer service then fine, I will, although I haven't received a single response from them since I emailed on Sunday. Scan's reputation with me is plummeting, only last week I advised someone to use your site; I will think twice before doing so again.

Thanks

One of my colleagues, Phil, has been trying to reach you by phone so that we can resolve this issue amicably and quickly.

We're here to help and don't want any Scan customer experiencing problems.

In the meantime we've also amended the text description for this product on our website to make it clearer that its a customised version, not the standard Corsair retail version.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James @ Scan View Post
    One of my colleagues, Phil, has been trying to reach you by phone so that we can resolve this issue amicably and quickly.

We're here to help and don't want any Scan customer experiencing problems.

In the meantime we've also amended the text description for this product on our website to make it clearer that its a customised version, not the standard Corsair retail version.
    Just had a very good conversation with Phil. It is great to see that you guys take the effort to actually contact unsatisfied customers rather than the other way around. Phil's explanation of the product and the reasons for the customisation were clear and for the most part I can understand why Scan and Corsair would want to do this.

Since my last post, I discovered that there was a Y connector included in my packaging which allowed me to connect the cooling fans to a single motherboard CPU fan header. This had the effect that the motherboard started to regulate the fan speeds instead of them being permanently on full speed; it was remiss of me not to post this. Phil says that he will arrange for some instructions to be included with the cooler from now on so that people realise that the two fans should be plugged into the Y connector and from there into the CPU fan header on the motherboard.

My tone in the previous post was probably a little OTT and it is to Scan's credit that they took the time to phone me despite this. Your reputation with me is restored, thanks for your help and I consider this matter resolved most satisfactorily.

Thread Information