Thread: Scan 3XS Performance Audio 17" Laptop SSD System Drive spiking 100%?

Thanks

Scan 3XS Performance Audio 17" Laptop SSD System Drive spiking 100%?

Hi

I have a Scan 3XS Scan Performance Audio 17" Laptop, about a year and a half old.
    Running Windows 10 Cubase Pro 11 and Pro 12 + various Soft Synths and plugins.
    Steinberg UR22c Audio Interface
    SSL UF8 Daw Controller.
    32 Gig matched Corsair RAM
    Samsung 1TB 970 EVO PLUS - System Drive
    Samsung 1TB 860 EVO - Project Drive
    Samsung 1TB 970 EVO PLUS - Library / Sample Drive

It has run perfectly until 4 days ago when disk activity on the System drive started spiking at 100%.

This makes running any audio program useless and I notice that each time it spikes it makes the lights on the front of the Steinberg UR22c Audio Interface blink (normally they stay fully on).
    Before this I could open almost as many insert plugins as I wanted on projects, some with up to 30 - 35+ tracks and it handled it all without an issue.

Since this issue first started (right in the middle of a session), it is present from the second I boot the laptop. Even before I have logged in on the windows boot screen the CPU fan powers up to full speed and the Graphics fan goes on and off interminently.

The laptop is never connected to the internet except when I want to update a driver or something which is rare.

Windows Task manager shows the CPU activity to be minimal but Resource Monitor shows the SSD spiking at 100%.

So I did every thing that I knew to do, ran windows anti virus, ran Malware Bytes both found nothing.

Checked using Windows Process Explorer and nothing obvious stands out, normally even a malware thats active should show up as a running process.

Booted Samsung Magician which shows the SSD health as good, and I ran a performance test which completed with out an issue although disc activity in Resource Manager was pretty much spiking all through (to be expected?).

During the Samsung Magician test the system temps seemed ok even though the fans are fully running

Checked the drives health in CrystalDiscInfo and it is fine.

I am now at a loss as I don't think its a Windows 10 issue and I suppose the ssd could be failing but at a year and a half old it shouldn't be plus Samsung Magician and CrystalDiscInfo show the drives health as good.

If anyone has any insight or suggestions I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

Re: Scan 3XS Performance Audio 17" Laptop SSD System Drive spiking 100%?

Where are you at with Windows updates?
    You also say that the process explorer shows nothing untoward, but if you are seeing 100% spikes then there should be something corresponding with that in the process viewer.
    You have Magician, is that and the drive firmware up to date?

Thread Information