Thread: Gigabyte UD5 RMA

Registered+
    Thanks

Gigabyte UD5 RMA

Hi,

I found this forum on google, I've read a few things online about RMA's taking a while with scan. My opinion is that sometimes complaints get highlighted; satisfied customers do not usually write to show appreciation. If they are happy with their RMA they have little reason to write about it, where as if they are unhappy they do. None the less it has worried me a bit reading such things. So I've written this for some reasurance and to also state that if my RMA goes through quickly and successfuly I will more than willingly post saying so.

Here is my situation: I recently ordered a case and a power supply from your company. This was well packed and came in perfect condition. I then later made another order, CPU, Motherboard etc. I bought some G.Skill RAM (I couldn't find it on scan website) from overclockers.co.uk. The items from SCAN were packed well and I can not think there has been any damage from the postman.

After building the computer I powered it up and found it was going on, then off, then on, about one second intervals. The display did not engage e.g. I saw no POST. I receieved an error code '88' on the motherboard. I searched through google, did the usual reset bios, run the computer with one stick of ram, no ram, disconected hard drives, checked all the wiring (including the 24pin and the 8pin) etc etc.

After doing all this it is my belief that the motherboard was simply DoA, however I came to one other possible but very unlikely conclusion, perhaps on the current BIOS it is incompatible with g.skill RAM. This is a very small possibility as I ran it without RAM only to get the same fault. I did test the PSU on my older computer (the one I am using at the moment) that works ok. Though it only uses a 4 pin not 8 pin power connector.

I have requested the BIOS be updated on the new board (if replaced) or the current one (if not replaced). If the current one is not faulty but the BIOS update solves my problem (which I can not do as I have no other RAM to test), do I then get charged extra for a non faulty product? This is a very very slim possibility mind you, as I did test it without any RAM in at all. As stated, it went straight to code '88'.

Also, how long are we looking at in terms of an RMA being sorted?

Thanks in advance!

RMA Number Number: RMA 212014

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Gigabyte UD5 RMA

Update:

I've received an email that the board is not faulty. I contacted them and the BIOS has been updated. I just hope this will solve the issues I am having; will be an expensive BIOS update but I will be pleased if it fixes the problems. Only other idea's I have are PSU still being faulty and maybe the CPU being dead?
    Last edited by Philip123123; 27-10-2009 at 05:06 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Hi,

I've now received the motherboard in worse condition than that of what I sent it off in. It also did not come in the box I sent it in. I received it just as a motherboard box... The RMA instructions stated that I should send it off a box, in a box, using air bags. Which I did.

Shipping is NOT the cause of the fault here. Also I am positive that the socket was absolutely fine before I sent it off (no bent pins).

I have received it with BENT pins. I have been charged a huge fee as the motherboard was found to be not "faulty".

I will be contacting you via the phone. I would like to ask if I have your permission to try bend the pin back and test it. It may POSSIBLY work. I do not want to get the blame for this though, so until I have your say so, I will not be touching the pins.

This forum says I can not show an image until I have 5 posts.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Last edited by Lee H; 29-10-2009 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Image was HUGE - changed to a link to save space :)

Registered+
    Thanks

Taking another look at it, the capacitor in the centre of the photo has a scratch on it. Perhaps a tool has been dropped on the motherboard, around the socket? Would it be at all possible for another motherboard with an updated bios be sent to me and this one be collected at the same time?

I am still not positive as to what caused the constant restarting, probably a faulty motherboard. I can take the PSU, Processor etc to a local shop and have the components tested. That way I will know when the motherboard is replaced that my computer will be working. As it stands, for all I know the CPU could also be faulty. The cost of this would be about £20 I think, would you be willing to pay that if one of the components bought from yourself turns out to be faulty? I'd also like to request a refund on the recent charge of the board NOT being found faulty. It is quite clearly faulty and there is no way you could have tested it in this state. I'd like a refund on the shipping, as I did not request it be shipped to me in this state, I requested it be a) replaced (and updated with a new bios) or b) updated to the latest bios (if not faulty).

I'm going to assume you have read this as one of my posts has been edited:
    Last edited by Lee @ SCAN; Today at 03:45 PM.. Reason: Image was HUGE - changed to a link to save space
    I have since later changed my mind about bending the pin back. The capacitor is in bad shape, even if I could get the board working I would feel unhappy with it as it is.

Finally, when I have a new RMA number, would you like me to ship it back to you with all the wires it came with. Or simply the board, and you do a straight swap and include a new bios with the new board?
    Last edited by Philip123123; 29-10-2009 at 11:10 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Was told friday morning that I have not been forgotten. Did not hear anything that day. Would it be easier if I do a charge back on paypal? I don't want to send this motherboard back only to discover you have no stock. Of course I don't expect you to be working on a sunday, but I was expecting a reply late friday or perhaps saturday.

At this stage I would like it replaced, have a new BIOS on the new motherboard, be refunded of all costs involved with this motherboard -£10 to cover the cost of the agreed BIOS update.

I will then try it, if there is still a fault in the machine, I will send it to a third party and have them diagnose the fault.

Perhaps the person that supposedly tested the motherboard could state what happened? There are scratch marks on the capacitor and one of the CPU pins in the socket has been bent.

Excuse my lack of patience, I would like to get this machine in working order and I have not yet been able to test other components. The RAM was bought from a separate shop and I do not wish to run out of time to RMA it, if in the unfortunate event that it is faulty.

I would also find it much easier if I can send the motherboard back without wires (they're plugged into S-ATA drives at the moment) and you simply change the motherboard. If this is not possible, no problem, let me know and I will gather all of the accessories it came with.

Posting it 'box in a box' will be difficult, I originally did that when I first RMA'd. The box that I posted it in was not returned. I merely received it in the motherboard box. I hope this wont void any of my RMA rights.

Registered+
    Thanks

Received an RMA number today. Citylink is collecting it tomorrow, I included a processor in the box. A lady on the phone said this would be ok.

I thought it made sense, just in case the CPU is faulty. I really don't want to have to RMA again, haha. The CPU is probably fine, from what experience I have. All the faults seemed to be a cause of either BIOS of the motherboard, or a faulty motherboard altogether.

Keeping an update here so that someone reading doesn't think scan forgot about me .

Registered+
    Thanks

Have heard from scan that management are looking into this case. I've also had very good service from citylink which is nice!
    Last edited by Philip123123; 04-11-2009 at 03:56 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

I've now heard from "Lee" at scan. Not going to copy the email as it's private, but basically denying all blame of damage. The only other explanation is damage during shipping or before (dispatch team). I received it in a bag, no added protection. I kept the bag as proof. Here is a picture of it:

The capacitor being scratched is a true mystery. Hopefully I receive the replacement board and my computer all works well.

*edited post due to a recent email.
    Last edited by Philip123123; 04-11-2009 at 05:30 PM.

Thanks
    • Lee H's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Carbon Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700K Unlocked CPU
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 LPX
      • Storage:
      • 250GB 960 EVO + a few more drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6GB Palit GTX 1060 Dual
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750W Modular Blue
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media

Just to clear up that the Lee he has been in contact with is not myself as I do not work in the technical/testing department.

Best Regards,

Registered+
    Thanks

Oh I thought it was you! That's why when I saw the "Last edited by Lee @ SCAN; 29-10-2009 at 03:45 PM.." I wondered why you had not replied in this topic. Haha oops.

*edit* Just to clarify something. It was said I perhaps pulled a pin when I put the CPU in. This is not possible, I -never- put the CPU in when I received it. Upon receiving it, my first thoughts were that it was packed terribly for such an expensive item. I asked a witness to stand by. I took it out of the box, placed the CPU cooler backing plate behind the motherboard, laid it on the motherboard tray. At this point, I had not taken off the socket protector. I then screwed it to the motherboard tray, not all of the screws, and not tightly either. Just enough for it to stay in place and not slip anywhere. I then took the socket protector off, checked the socket. Noticed a pin had been bent, I then took a photo of it. My witness can confirm all of this. In short: I never even took the CPU out of the box. I had no reason to... I also do not wear jumpers or something when I work on a computer. I wear just t-shirts, it's not possible even a bit of clothing could have snagged on it.

Unfortunately my camera's clock was set wrong so perhaps the exif data will be incorrect.

The reason I state all this, I don't know if it will effect me being reimbursed of the £40 I spent previously.
    Last edited by Philip123123; 05-11-2009 at 01:17 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Hello, Just to make sure. Is the replacement motherboard going to have an updated bios?

Registered+
    Thanks

Still no reply to this question.

The only email I've had regarding this is from the technician, implying I bent the pin when I put the CPU in (to clarify, I never put the CPU in). I heard nothing after saying that.

I have had a confirmation email Friday (6th) stating "Current status of your RMA: Completed". Automated email though, not an actual word from a worker.

A lady on the phone said I may get an email after 5PM. I didn't get said email.

Disappointed now, especially considering that when I get all this back I might have other problems. I really did nothing to damage the motherboard and it's a shame no email has been sent from a person taking responsibility. As stated in a private email, I accept it is perhaps not the technicians fault, but perhaps someone else at scan caused this error.

I think I spoke too soon when I said the service had been fast. This has made me re-think my order on the 2, ATI 5870's I was going to be buying from yourself and perhaps see what the future holds.

Registered+
    Thanks

Is there seriously no one that can help, or ask someone that can help? (read edit below, don't worry about this for now).

I repeat, I have bought other parts from another shop. If those parts are faulty and 28 days has gone by after purchase, I am going to have more bother getting them replaced. I have suggested that I get the parts tested from another shop, but as you have offered no support (e.g. paying for the test) I am reluctant to do so.

Right now I am waiting for you to

1) Refund me the £40(£30 as I agreed for a bios update) you deducted from my account for the board not being faulty DESPITE it blatantly being faulty.
    2) To get the replacement board and CPU back so that I can build and test the machine.
    3) An apology wouldn't go a miss either, given the grief you have caused me.

Without these, I simply can not test the other parts.

I could go straight to paypal and do a simple chargeback, but to be honest I rather settle this in a more civil manner. Being told "It's a mute point, board has already been authed for a replacement, I am just advising care when inserting the CPU into the replacement board.
    " is highly condescending given the fact I never put the CPU in the motherboard to begin with.

Excuse the paste from the private email but seriously, your customer service is extremely poor and NOT one person from scan has came forward and taken responsibility for this.

That wouldn't be so bad if I actually got the motherboard and processor back and had the computer up and running.

*edit*

I've now spoken to a supervisor called 'Mark' on the phone, he was very helpful. So hopefully things are looking up. I will just wait to hear from a manager now, if I hear nothing within a week I shall write back here again.
    Last edited by Philip123123; 11-11-2009 at 02:03 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Ok I received motherboard, it works. Which is fortunate, I received it in a bag again (perhaps it doesn't matter to receive it with just a bag over the motherboard box, but I feel bubble-wrap and another box is far more safe). Quite clearly the other one was faulty. Highly unlikely the BIOS update did anything, especially as there's no mention on your site of the motherboard being completely incompatible with any of my hardware.

88 Was the error and not 8B.

I will be launching a dispute with paypal for £30 within the next few days. I paid £40, but agreed to the £10 for BIOS update.

I am not saying the person who tested the board originally is lying per say. I just think a mistake has been made. I read about some person who received a motherboard that had been used, and was faulty. So clearly mistakes do happen and that is understandable.

I was told on the phone that you won't be refunding me the money as you feel the board was not faulty.

This is incorrect... After being told the board was not faulty, I received no information on what could be the cause. No help what so ever from a technician though. This is perhaps a moot point as the board was faulty anyway.

The chances are, I would still be happy to shop at scan but I feel it is thorough badness that you have taken no responsibility on this issue. Not even so much as an apology for receiving the board back with a bent pin.

*excuse the edits to my post.

P.S A thanks to Mark on the phone and a lady who also spoke (don't recall the persons name). They were quick to the point, and communicative.
    Last edited by Philip123123; 15-11-2009 at 02:57 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

I have spoken to the maneger on the phone. I didn't realise, he has refunded me the money. I receieved no email so I didn't know. It is not showing up in my account yet (hope it definitely processed ok).

Anyway, hopefully it is all sorted now; thank you.
    Last edited by Philip123123; 16-11-2009 at 04:46 PM.

Thread Information