Thread: My record with scan

Registered+
    Thanks

My record with scan

I don't have the best of records with Scan. I've now had three orders which have gone... not as planned.

If you search my threads, you'll find the others.

Last Thursday, I bought another 5870 to run in crossfire with my current 5870. I ordered this one, and I'll enclose the picture below.

Great! I thought. An identical card to what I currently have! It's quiet, it does everything I want, it's an ATI Reference design so it's high quality also! Even better! It comes with a free game.

In fact, the only thing in that package that's correct is the Aliens vs Predator Voucher.

Instead of receiving the 5870 on the picture, I received a card with this cooler:

Now, that would be great if it was as good or better at cooling the card than the stock cooler. It's not. It's distinctly noisier, especially in Crossfire, and it's not just me, bit-tech thinks the cooler is noisier too. Furthermore, XFX has a really crap history with custom PCBs, and I'd rather not buy a product that has a good chance of failing. That's especially important since this forum is full of angry customers who haven't had their warranties honoured.

Is there any chance Scan could arrange for collection so that I can return this misadvertised product?

I paid for a reference 5870, that's what's on the picture. May I return the dud to you and get the cheapest reference 5870 you have in stock? I'd be happy to pay a surcharge, although if there's a cheaper version available I'd rather have that.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: My record with scan

Nope, this is LN32199, which has the picture I posted above and has not been updated. It just looks like XFX is trying to save money in every way. Heck, even the box is smaller!
    Last edited by Chris P; 22-06-2010 at 10:00 AM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blade285 View Post
    oh, i just noticed i checked up the 5850's ¬¬
    and yeah, but its to be expected when they need to beat competition out there, my little 5770 box is smaller than anything i've had before, almost as small as an 8600GT box
    i like the good old XFX boxes in the shape of an X, but yeah.

it looks like you've been sent the black edition by accident? although i dont seem to see the black edition 5870 on sale. i'd ask for LN28921 then but its listed as PCI-E 2.0 not 2.1?
    I wasn't sent the black edition, I just used that picture because it's the only example of that cooler I can find. It's the normal edition, just with a non-reference PCB and cooler.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blade285 View Post
    thats a disgrace
    i'll leave it for you to sort out with scan yourself, in the end it's going to be up to them whether or not you get to change it or not.
    isn't there a 30 day unwanted item return that you can claim off or something?
    One more thing to add to the list of bad - crummy build quality. The original is solid when it's in the slot, no flex at all. This one flops down at least 2-3mm, little of the rigidity at the mounting bracket is transferred to the other end of the card.

The worst thing here, is that even if there is complete co-operation from Scan I'm going to have to wait until at least Thursday or Friday to get a replacement, at best.

Yes, within 7 days I can return the card for a full discount. That means that I have to pay shipping - at ~£10 I would rather not!

Registered+
    Thanks

To conclude this, after three phone calls I have finally managed to get myself a pickup to return this graphics card to Scan. Unfortunately, the process of returning the card will probably take up to 5 days - so getting the card I ordered looks slim within two weeks.

Mark - the problem with the fan I discovered is an XFX bios problem. I read on the internet that they fixed it with an update, but the update is only available to people who have registered their cards on xfxforce.com, something I have no intention of doing. If I were you, I'd include a CDR with the bios on for other customers - just in case. Updating the picture is probably of greater importance, though!

Thanks

This is the reason we have re-iterated previously " images are for illustration purposes only "

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris P View Post
    This is the reason we have re-iterated previously " images are for illustration purposes only "
    I appreciate that for you, it might be an advantage to have that statement below every product. It's obviously a problem in this case, since the situation has arisen where what has happened already is not really anyone's fault.

Nevertheless, the product still makes as much noise at idle as my current 5870 makes at full load.

Thanks

bug850-4300

We did have " EaEo " at the foot of our web site, however as this is covered in the SOGA this was deemed unnecessary and removed.

Thread Information