Thread: Motherboard-CPU compatibility

Thanks

Motherboard-CPU compatibility

Hi guys and gals,

I've just phoned about this, but felt I needed to vent and hoped anyone reading this would actually be of some use.

We placed an order in the middle of July for some parts to build a PC, the key things in this case being the motherboard (a Gigabyte GA-H81M-D2V) and a CPU (a Haswell refresh-based Pentium Dual Core G3258).

Before placing the order the Gigabyte website listed the CPU as being supported with the F4 BIOS (though all CPUs were listed as supported with the F4 BIOS, no earlier BIOSes mentioned at all).

I came to build said PC today, but on switching on, it's just whirring the fans up and down, seemingly switching on and off on loop. This appears to mean the BIOS isn't compatible with the CPU. I've checked the usual things (remove anything unnecessary, change the PSU, try individual RAM sticks and in different sockets, etc) and nothing changes, so it does seem to be either a faulty motherboard or CPU, or CPU not supported with the installed BIOS. Obviously I don't know which BIOS is installed on this particular board (no mention on the box or board). We couldn't buy an older non-Refresh Pentium Dual-Core as there were none in stock (I would have been happy with a cheaper one for this build, but they had no "expected" date of arrival, so went for the slightly more expected Refresh model).

On calling Scan, the support guy said that they are happy to update the BIOS, but it's a £10 charge and the cost of carriage (that's approaching the cost of a new motherboard, which was £28). On ranting a bit saying that they sold me these parts, that everything is supposed to be compatible and that surely they're responsible, he took it to our managed account guy, who said they would wave the cost of the BIOS update, but we'd still have to pay carriage. He was happy to blame Gigabyte at any opportunity and eventually said if we wanted to contact Gigabyte they might compensate us for this carriage (yeah, that's going to happen) and our contract is with Scan, not Gigabyte anyway.

Frankly, we flat out refuse to pay carriage. We bought these parts and they are listed as compatible. That Scan don't publish which board has which BIOS installed (to be fair it would be a logistical nightmare) isn't our problem.

If we had an older (or first gen or whatever you want to call it) Haswell CPU that would be fine (obviously we don't), but why should your customers have to pay to make an apparently compatible board compatible?

I'm sure I could have quoted the Sales of Good act at him, but clearly as a business (we're a school), it doesn't apply, but it shouldn't have to be relevant anyway (even if it would be - I don't know).
    Last edited by Mark@SCAN; 15-08-2014 at 01:40 PM.

Thanks
    • Mick@SCAN's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC
      • CPU:
      • i5 4670k @ 4.7 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Samsung 840 / 2TB Seagate SATA III ST2000DM001 / 120GB Vertex Plus
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8GB MSI 290X
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Modular Infiniti 650Watt
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design ARC MIDI R2 Tower Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama ProLite G2773HS-2
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mb

Re: Motherboard-CPU compatibility

this_is_gav ,

Looking at the specification of the system you have put together, you have purchased a H81 motherboard and a Haswell refresh CPU.

From experience I understand this range of motherboards will require a bios update in order to support the CPU that you have purchased, please bear in mind that that Haswell refresh has only been on the market for a short period of time while the motherboard has been available for around 12 months.

Please understand that you have purchased parts from Scan without asking for advice, as such the onus is on yourself to check compatibility where possible and download/update the motherboards bios and software as required.

We are happy to provide a free bios update, but you will need to cover the returns carriage costs, I could only suggest checking to see if you have an original Haswell CPU that could be used with the motherboard to update the bios.

Alternatively I understand my colleague suggested that you return the motherboard so you could purchase a Z97 equivalent which would be compatible with the CPU out of the box.

Kind regards,

Thanks

Thanks for replying Mick.

I appreciate what you've said, but everything is listed as compatible with nothing at all to suggest the need to have the latest BIOS installed (as I say, Gigabyte's site says all processors are supported from the F4 version - all including the very first Haswell chips - the BIOS revision is exactly the same for all chips). I don't know that you don't do it in store or that Gigabyte don't refresh stock to do it (especially for such an important upgrade).

I had no idea the CPU wasn't supported and from what your colleague said you wouldn't know either as the motherboard box doesn't specify which revision is installed. I've bought boards in the past (mainly AMD-based admittedly) which have had a later processor in which wasn't listed but worked (well worked enough to enable the BIOS upgrade which recognised the processor name). For all I know the processor would have worked in this way - in all my years I've never had a motherboard which wouldn't boot at all until a new BIOS was flashed. Perhaps that's just good luck? I don't know.

And no, as I said I don't have an original Haswell chip I can use otherwise I probably wouldn't have raised an issue in the first place.

Alternatively I understand my colleague suggested that you return the motherboard so you could purchase a Z97 equivalent which would be compatible with the CPU out of the box.
    He said almost the opposite. That even some Z97/H97 (I don't recall which he said) boards weren't accepting Haswell Refresh chips and had to have the BIOS updated as they were released before the processors. I found it hard to believe but I didn't know otherwise so didn't question it. He never offered me anything beyond the free BIOS upgrade though.

As it is, the cheapest x97 board appears to be nearly double the price - hence the reason to go with a cheaper board (again, not knowing there was any risk it wouldn't work at all).

Gav

Edit: Actually the CPU page doesn't even list the processor as a Haswell Refresh. It just says Haswell Dual Core. Looking around further it isn't Haswell Refresh/Devil's Canyon at all, it's just an original Haswell.
    Last edited by this_is_gav; 05-08-2014 at 06:44 PM.

Thanks
    • Mick@SCAN's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC
      • CPU:
      • i5 4670k @ 4.7 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8GB MSI 290X
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mb

Post Re: Motherboard-CPU compatibility

this_is_gav,

I forgot to mention that the Scan website does specifically state that a bios update will be required: PLEASE NOTE : If you intend on using a Haswell refresh chip on a 8 series motherboard, you will need a BIOS update for the chip to be compatible. This is listed at the very top of the Pentium Dual Core category - http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-...t-1150-haswell

Scan have no control on how Gigabyte advertise motherboards on their website, but I believe we have provided sufficient information for our customers, Scan will also provide pre sales advice should a customer need more information.

I recently purchased the same CPU and an MSI Z97 motherboard (LN57231), the CPU ran perfectly straight out of the box.

Kind regards,

Thanks

As I said, the G3258 is not a Haswell Refresh chip - it's an original Haswell.

Apologies for stating otherwise earlier - I thought it was a Haswell Refresh.

Thanks
    • Mick@SCAN's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC
      • CPU:
      • i5 4670k @ 4.7 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8GB MSI 290X
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mb

this_is_gav,

The Pentium K chip you have purchased is a new chip, yes I agree that it is not listed as a Haswell refresh but the chip has only been on the market for six weeks.

Scan have agreed to provide a free bios update and return the motherboard to you at our cost, you will need to return the board to Scan.

Kind regards,

Thanks

And that is the problem. However I attempt to fix this problem we need to pay more money, albeit a relatively small amount.

I do appreciate the offer of the free BIOS upgrade and shipping back to us, but I maintain we shouldn't need to pay extra.

On your website both the CPU and motherboard section and the product pages have nothing to suggest this will not work. Gigabyte's website suggests no issues with this specific CPU with the earliest available BIOS either. Some or all of the other Pentium Dual Core Haswell Refresh-based CPUs are listed as Haswell Refresh on your website, but this one isn't.

Given this information I'm fairly confident, that, were we a consumer rather than a school, we would have a strong case in a small claims court of having this resolved to our satisfaction, so to say I'm disappointed with your stance would be an understatement.

We and I have bought many thousands of pounds of orders through Scan, probably totalling 5 figures by now, and other than a couple of RMAs (things go wrong, it happens) and our account manager mistaking this order (sending 4GB rather than the ordered 8GB, which was corrected quickly), this is my first experience of what I strongly feel is poor customer service.
    Last edited by this_is_gav; 06-08-2014 at 10:55 AM.

Thanks
    • Mick@SCAN's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC
      • CPU:
      • i5 4670k @ 4.7 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8GB MSI 290X
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mb

this_is_gav,

You have chosen to purchase individual parts from our website without any assistance from Scan. We have not sold the parts as a bundle nor have we advertised that they are specifically compatible. I do not believe that in this instance you would have a case as a consumer, but that is just my opinion.

You simply need to post or ship the board back to Scan and we will perform a bios update at our cost and free ship the item to you, we are in no way legally obliged to carry this out.

You are also posting on behalf of the company you work for on a forum designed to assist consumers as such this thread will now be locked as Scan now consider the matter closed, we have offered a reasonable solution for your company for an issue which is ultimately your responsibility, should you require further assistance please contact Scan through normal channels.

Kind regards,

Thread Information