Thread: Faulty MSI GTX 970

Thanks

Faulty MSI GTX 970

There is an inherent fault on a large amount of MSI GTX 970 video cards whereby Fan 1 will get stuck at 0%, and Fan 2 at 100% speed. The fans do not respond to software designed to change their speed. Manually pushing the stuck Fan 1 will cause it to spin again which then makes Fan 2 slow down and then normal operation resumes.

MSI have stated that this is a fault and have instructed all users with this issue to RMA their product back to the point of sale. As this is my first post on Hexus I am unable to add hyperlinks. Please see the thread entitled "MSI GTX 970 fan issue" on MSI's support forum - specifically page 6 near the bottom of the page for the statement.

Now please refer to page 7 of the thread mentioned above, specifically the post by user "Krydel". The user initiated an RMA, returned the faulty card to Scan, along with video evidence of the fault and a link to the statement from MSI. Despite this Scan have said the card is working fine and that there is no fault. To top it off the user will be charged for the courier collection, an admin fee for testing, and another fee to return the faulty card.

I too am in the same issue with my card as the post I have linked above, yet I am hesitant to return the product based on this user's experience of Scan's complete disregard of video evidence and a statement from the manufacturer.

Do Scan wish to comment on this situation before matters are potentially escalated?
    Last edited by Mark@SCAN; 31-10-2014 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Changed thread subject

Scan Computers Technical/Returns Mark@SCAN's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Mark@SCAN's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS MAXIMUS VII GENE Z97
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 2400MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB Samsung SM951 NVME & 1x 4TB WD Caviar Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 980
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone SST-ST75F-G Strider 750w
      • Case:
      • SilverStone FT03B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL U2711H
      • Internet:
      • SKY Fibre Unlimited

Re: Suspected faulty MSI GTX 970

Is this the thread you are referring to:

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=183618.250

Can you please provide your invoice number so that we can investigate your complaint.

To the best of my knowledge MSI have not communicated anything to us about this problem.

Regards
    Last edited by Mick@SCAN; 14-10-2014 at 09:12 AM.

Thanks

That is the thread and if you had read my post you will have seen that I am yet to initiate an RMA related to this fault because of the outcome of another user.

Please read the linked thread entirely, including MSI's statement in that very thread.

Thanks
    • Mark@SCAN's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 980
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • SilverStone FT03B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL U2711H
      • Internet:
      • SKY Fibre Unlimited

I have read the comments from MSI however I am not willing to discuss another customer's return, should the customer in question wish to dispute the testing we have carried out they are more than welcome to get in contact with us.

I would also respectfully request you change the title of this thread as we have not done anything illegal. If you choose not to change it we will do it for you.

Should we observe the problem as noted in the MSI thread then I can confirm that the card will be processed as defective and replaced accordingly.

If you wish to request an RMA please submit an RMA request via the below link:

https://secure.scan.co.uk/aspnet/sup...px?QueryType=R

Regards

Thanks

Just to confirm - should I supply you with video evidence showing the intermittent fault, point you in the direction of the statement from MSI telling people to return cards exhibiting this fault to the point of sale, but then your testing fails to witness the fault, will you disregard the video evidence and indeed reject the RMA?
    It is important to get a clear answer on this matter before any RMA is made.
    Last edited by Roddles; 14-10-2014 at 11:06 AM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • The_Ollienator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P35 Neo-F
      • CPU:
      • E8400 @ 4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-6400@55515
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Seagate 7200.11 32mb Cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 260gtx 55nm SSC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Home Premium 32bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer 20.1" al2016wb
      • Internet:
      • <2mb

I should jump in here and say that the disgruntled user over on that forum is me, though I have since received authorisation for a full refund and I am (of course) happy with this now and don't want to provide my invoice number and open the can of worms again.

I think what Roddles is worried about here though, as I was when I sent my card back for RMA, is a lack of proper communication between Scan and the MSI and consumer with regard to:

(a) the nature of the issue, insofar as it is an intermittent issue that needs to be tested over a longer period of time and not tested - as my card was - over the course of an hour and then left on 45% fans over the weekend (which will never display a problem because the issue is with the fans starting up, not with fans cutting out randomly; this would be known if the thread was checked)
    (b) video evidence - I was able to provide video evidence (and did so) of the issue and there are plenty of user videos of this pervasive problem, characterised by one fan spinning at 100% (or near to) and the other not at all, simply 'ticking' regularly as it fails to start. However, this was completely ignored in my emails and I was, much like the response on here, fobbed off with 'if there was an issue, MSI would have let us know'.
    (c) proper research - A simple scan through the thread over on the MSI forum will be illuminating in showing this is a relatively common issue and MSI's official stance (whether they have communicated this to you or not) is to RMA the card (not simply ignore my emails until I get in contact on live chat to complain) if it presents this issue.

We do not then expect have an RMA rejected because you couldn't replicate the fault in your testing period, when we are absolutely certain we have experienced the issue, or wouldn't be taking up your time pursuing it. It leaves a bitter taste in one's mouth when the 'no fault' email comes through, despite clear video evidence showing the issue and user experience showing this as quite common.

In my case, further insult to injury was me missing the 14 day cut off for no-quibble returns under the Consumer Contract Regulations (ex-distance selling) because of being ignored by the support department for about a week. However, you (Scan) have resolved my case in good faith and I shall be purchasing an Asus GTX 970 as an alternative just as soon as the refund comes through, but I am concerned both that other consumers will experience this issue and that some unlucky purchaser will be receiving my recently re-stocked card that will only have to be sent back again in due course.

Thanks
    • slickric21's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z87 GD65
      • CPU:
      • 4770k 4.4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill Trix 2666mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 evo (x3)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 970 Gaming
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 800w
      • Case:
      • Lian Li
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8.1 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 24" G-Sync
      • Internet:
      • 80/20mb Plusnet (Full sync)

Yeah very annoying issue this.

I was one of the first people to experience this issue and report it on various forums.

Its particulary annoying due the intermittent nature of the fault.
    It appears randomly, and more often than not from a cold boot - or when the fans have been idling for a long time.
    If the fan is spun up (either by the user or on the occasions when working properly) then in my experience it will work properly after this for some time - as if its been loosened or warmed up.

This is why Scans testing methodolgy of this fault is flawed. If the fan works normally when they first startup the test, then it will work fine for the rest of the session.

This and the intermittent nature mean its unlikely Scan would find the issue in there 1hour window.
    Either it would exhibit the fault first time, or not at all, until the next random day it decided to manifest itself.

As for running at at 45% for the weekend..... well i've covered that above.

Personally as I got a beauty of a card for OC'ing and the fact my problem is becoming less and less frequent (with the fan being broke in more and more I suspect) I choose to keep it.

However the fact of the matter is that MSI are directly instructing users to RMA.

Thanks

Still no statement from Scan regarding my third post, or other posts from other users.

Thanks
    • Mark@SCAN's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 980
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • SilverStone FT03B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL U2711H
      • Internet:
      • SKY Fibre Unlimited

Quote Originally Posted by Roddles View Post
    Just to confirm - should I supply you with video evidence showing the intermittent fault, point you in the direction of the statement from MSI telling people to return cards exhibiting this fault to the point of sale, but then your testing fails to witness the fault, will you disregard the video evidence and indeed reject the RMA?
    It is important to get a clear answer on this matter before any RMA is made.
    Please provide as much information as possible regarding the nature of the problem you are experiencing with your card when you submit the RMA request.

No need to point us in the direction of the MSI statement we have already seen this.

The card will be tested against your reported fault and should the fault be replicated the card replaced/refunded depending on your original request and purchase date.

Regards

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark@SCAN View Post
    Please provide as much information as possible regarding the nature of the problem you are experiencing with your card when you submit the RMA request.

No need to point us in the direction of the MSI statement we have already seen this.

The card will be tested against your reported fault and should the fault be replicated the card replaced/refunded depending on your original request and purchase date.

Regards
    While you are technically responding to my post, you are yet again not responding to the content within.

How will contradicting user video evidence affect an RMA procedure when your own testing fails to identify a sporadic fault? Are you admitting you will completely disregard it in the process? That seems to be what other users are saying from their own RMA experience.

Also since your previous testing has been deemed to be flawed by other users RMA experiences, can you yourselves confirm what testing methodology you incorporate to try and replicate this fault?
    Last edited by Roddles; 24-10-2014 at 12:53 PM.

Thanks
    • Mark@SCAN's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 980
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • SilverStone FT03B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL U2711H
      • Internet:
      • SKY Fibre Unlimited

Re: Faulty MSI GTX 970

If we are unable to replicate the fault then we can return the card to MSI for further testing.

As per my earlier post we are not willing to discuss another customer's RMA details, suffice it to say the user in question's return has been resolved to his satisfaction.

Regards

Thanks
    Definitely an MSI problem. Surely there must be a better procedure when the customer and the manufacturer both agree it's an intermittent fault.
    Last edited by PenguinJim; 29-10-2014 at 10:32 AM.

Thread Information