Thread: Scan refuse to refund postage after sending me the wrong item.

Thanks

Scan refuse to refund postage after sending me the wrong item.

After having used Scan a few times to order various parts without issues, I had the unfortunate experience of having to return an item through their RMA system. They sent me a PSU which turned out to be an entirely different model from the one described and therefore completely useless to me. Despite describing the situation clearly, it took several emails to even get the RMA number because they kept asking for more photos etc., and when I did get it, as I was going away, I was in a hurry and didn't read all the emails carefully. Now the first email contained return instructions and a printable address label so I just printed that off and posted it back by courier. As I discovered later, the second email also contained posting instructions, but in this one I was asked to send back a whole lot of information (most of which Scan already have), in order to get a collection label. I discovered this because Scan are refusing to refund me the postage, informing me that I should have used the collection service. Now it's only for the sake of £10, but what annoys me about the whole episode is that not once did they bother to apologise for their mistake and the inconvenience they caused me, and now because of the confusing emails, I am out of pocket. I believe that it is their obligation under the Sale of Goods Act to bear the cost of returning the item. Further to this, I was sent a "deadline" for the RMA of I think 7 days, which I now believe has no legal validity, certainly in the case of the wrong item being sent out to me. After 7 days it's still the wrong item.
    Last edited by Mark@SCAN; 12-08-2015 at 09:41 AM.

Thanks
    • Lee H's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Carbon Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700K Unlocked CPU
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 LPX
      • Storage:
      • 250GB 960 EVO + a few more drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6GB Palit GTX 1060 Dual
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750W Modular Blue
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media

Re: Scan refuse to refund postage after sending me the wrong item.

Edwki.

I've asked the returns manager to have a look at this so they should be replying shortly.

Best Regards,

Thanks

So... nobody contacted me. I emailed again and they are refusing to refund me the postage. Also it has now been more than 14 days and I have STILL not received a refund. This clearly contravenes the Consumer Contract Regulations.

Scan Computers Technical/Returns Mark@SCAN's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Mark@SCAN's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS MAXIMUS VII GENE Z97
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 2400MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB Samsung SM951 NVME & 1x 4TB WD Caviar Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 980
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone SST-ST75F-G Strider 750w
      • Case:
      • SilverStone FT03B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL U2711H
      • Internet:
      • SKY Fibre Unlimited

Thank you for your feedback Ed Kimber, as we have previously explained we have offered means for a free return and you have chosen not to exercise this option.The goods simply could have been taken to the UPS access point from where they were originally collected by you and returned to SCAN at no expense to yourself.
    As such no refund will be made for the costs you incurred to return the goods in question.I can also confirm that £50.22 was refunded on the 08/07/2015 @ 12.30. This was refunded back to the original card you bought the item with. Kind Regards

Thanks

Hello Mark Rollason,

I have confirmed that the money has in fact been refunded but it has not cleared yet for some reason. Obviously that is not your fault.

Now I could have refused to take the goods back to the collection point, in fact I could have insisted that the goods be collected by you from me at a time convenient to me. However I was not aware of that at the time.

What actually happened is that I followed the instructions you sent:

Please do not mark the original items with any RMA information as items received back at Scan not in original condition will be rejected. A loose sheet of paper with the RMA information on is more than adequate.

Please download the following Returns label and fill in the appropriate fields; you can then attach this to your returns parcel and return the item/s to the address marked, please be aware that proof of delivery may be required.

rma-label.pdf
    There is no mention in that email of a UPS collection option.

Scan Computers Technical/Returns Mark@SCAN's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Mark@SCAN's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS MAXIMUS VII GENE Z97
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 2400MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB Samsung SM951 NVME & 1x 4TB WD Caviar Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 980
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone SST-ST75F-G Strider 750w
      • Case:
      • SilverStone FT03B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL U2711H
      • Internet:
      • SKY Fibre Unlimited

Quote Originally Posted by edwki View Post

What actually happened is that I followed the instructions you sent:

There is no mention in that email of a UPS collection option.
    The UPS e-mail was sent exactly 11 seconds after the first e-mail, you even confirmed this in your original post "I was in a hurry and didn't read all the emails carefully"

With respect we cannot be held responsible for your failure to read and act upon the e-mail instructions we send.

Whilst we of course apologise and are sorry for any inconvenience caused as a result of sending you the incorrect item we are unable to refund the cost of delivery you incurred to return the item.

Regards

Thanks

"unable to refund" - that is a lie, clearly you could easily refund.

Indeed, you have admitted sending the wrong item and that by rights you should refund the postage. Not doing so is a rip-off, nothing more. Your argument about the wording of SoGA is simply about whether or not you can legally get away with ripping the customer off. To cheat a customer out of the princely sum of £10 is both grubby and petty and it shows clearly that you are an untrustworthy operator. In the light of that it is hardly surprising to read the posts from angry customers here with mysteriously bent mobo pins. No prizes for guessing what's going on there.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by edwki View Post
    In the light of that it is hardly surprising to read the posts from angry customers here with mysteriously bent mobo pins. No prizes for guessing what's going on there.
    Thank you edwki, it's nice to know someone believes me.

Thread Information