Thread: RMA on Z170 Pro Gaming Motherboard - Rejected?

Thanks
    • Macman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z170 Pro Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i9 9900K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Storage:
      • 5TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GeForce RTX2080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650VS
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus Predator

Angry RMA on Z170 Pro Gaming Motherboard - Rejected?

Not quite sure how to proceed.

Upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 10, in doing so, over a short period of time I started to have issues. Firefox loading time taking longer than usual, programs conflicting with one another and random restarts.

As a result of this eventually getting on my nerves. I decided to wipe my HDD and place a fresh Windows 10 installation in, went through the installation.

Downloaded steam, started downloading my games and left it running. Checked on the PC half hour later and it was off, I thought maybe it was an update running in background but the PC just wouldn't power on at all.

Fast forward:-

RMA to SCAN; it is rejected due to no IO shield and 2 bent pins. (IO Shield will be sent out to them)

My question is, there was a fault PRIOR to the bent pin as the PC was ON when the FAULT occured!

I removed the CPU and was placed on to another motherboard that my friends gave me a loan of in the meantime so I could test other components etc. It all works, CPU, Memory, RX480 and HDD. The motherboard was only purchased in January 2017, so due to the bent pins, I am still going to be out of pocket as I believe the fault DOES NOT lie with the bent pins.

So SCAN are now asking me to sign a disclaimer, so does this mean if I sign this form. I cannot challenge this? As I genuinely believe this is extremely unfair considering I even took out ScanProtect when I purchased the CPU/GPU & Memory due to not having much experience in building PCs.

Due to the PC losing power:-

PSU was replaced by Amazon
    Mouse was no longer detected (New mouse had to be bought)
    Last edited by Macman; 13-09-2017 at 11:03 AM.

Thanks
    • Mick@SCAN's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC
      • CPU:
      • i5 4670k @ 4.7 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Samsung 840 / 2TB Seagate SATA III ST2000DM001 / 120GB Vertex Plus
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8GB MSI 290X
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Modular Infiniti 650Watt
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design ARC MIDI R2 Tower Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama ProLite G2773HS-2
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mb

Re: RMA on Z170 Pro Gaming Motherboard - Rejected?

Macman,

I am sorry to hear about the issues you are having. Although a fault may have occurred before the motherboard was damaged, damage to the CPU socket now stops us from verifying this, any physical damage to hardware results in the manufacturer’s warranty being deemed as void, however we have agreed to return the motherboard to Asus for a chargeable repair.
    Asus will repair/replace the CPU socket and providing they are successful, this will bring the motherboard back into warranty and Asus will then repair the actual fault with the motherboard.

The repair charge for this is £30, note that Scan protect cover lasts up to the first 28 days from the date of delivery and covers you for any installation damage.

Kind regards,

Thanks
    • Macman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z170 Pro Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i9 9900K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Storage:
      • 5TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650VS
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus Predator

Quote Originally Posted by Mick@SCAN View Post
    Macman,

I am sorry to hear about the issues you are having. Although a fault may have occurred before the motherboard was damaged, damage to the CPU socket now stops us from verifying this, any physical damage to hardware results in the manufacturer’s warranty being deemed as void, however we have agreed to return the motherboard to Asus for a chargeable repair.
    Asus will repair/replace the CPU socket and providing they are successful, this will bring the motherboard back into warranty and Asus will then repair the actual fault with the motherboard.

The repair charge for this is £30, note that Scan protect cover lasts up to the first 28 days from the date of delivery and covers you for any installation damage.

Kind regards,
    I understand the damage to the CPU socket stops you from verifying this, but it is incredibly frustrating when you know its NOT the bent pins that is the issue. The bent pins would not cause the PSU or Mouse having to be replaced. However, I have no choice but to pay this. Had the mobo continue to function, the bent pins on the socket wouldn't of occurred.

I am aware that ScanProtect is only for the first 28 days... "even took out ScanProtect when I purchased the CPU/GPU & Memory due to not having much experience in building PCs."

I'll get the form and IO shield returned to you as soon as possible.

Thanks
    • Macman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z170 Pro Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i9 9900K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Storage:
      • 5TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650VS
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus Predator

Resolved

Whilst replacing my motherboard was great. (Despite MY motherboard only being 6 months old)

But I am still OUT of pocket after being advised by yourselves that it was no longer under warranty due to 2 bent pins.

As a result of having it being sent away to ASUS and being told I would incur charges and no time frame. I had to buy another motherboard.

As a result of this customer experience I will no longer be using SCAN.

Thanks
    • Macman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z170 Pro Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i9 9900K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Storage:
      • 5TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650VS
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus Predator

Quote Originally Posted by Disturbedguy View Post
    I don't know many suppliers that would replace a piece of hardware, that has damage to it, out of their own pocket when they didn't cause the damage.

Kind of unrealistic to expect them to replace a damaged piece of equipment, regardless of warranty period.
    If I had caused the damage yes, I'd completely agree with you.

But the damage would be PRIOR to the pins being bent... It is NOT possible to bend the pins while the CPU is in socket and it is up and running fine.

CPU was removed to send the motherboard back and still being a noob in this area. Hence why I took insurance out for the parts incase anything went wrong as I had never installed a CPU/Mobo, only a GPU.

So to be told that my warranty is null on 2 pins being bent, which is actually a easy fix with the right tools, according to various posts and people I have spoken to, even including another major PC retailer.

So I now need to sell the motherboard to recoup some of the money and just hope that it is a straight forward transaction.

Thanks
    • Mick@SCAN's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC
      • CPU:
      • i5 4670k @ 4.7 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Samsung 840 / 2TB Seagate SATA III ST2000DM001 / 120GB Vertex Plus
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8GB MSI 290X
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Modular Infiniti 650Watt
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design ARC MIDI R2 Tower Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama ProLite G2773HS-2
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mb

Macman,

I have moved the thread over to After-Sales Forum.

I am sorry to hear that you will not be shopping with Scan Computers again, these situations are always difficult as the manufacturers will reject any damage regardless of pre-existing faults, so a repair route is usually the only option. In some circumstances a repair of the pins is possible, but in doing so can sometimes lead to further damage where the pins snap or look warped, in which case the manufacturer will still reject the warranty under those grounds.

If you could please PM me your RMA number I will review this case internally, although we can never guarantee a turn-around time for a repair of this type, we are always looking to improve the RMA process where ever possible.

Kind regards,

Thread Information