Thread: 3XS System - Unstable Overclock?

Thanks

3XS System - Unstable Overclock?

Hi,

Just testing the system by enconding video with Handbrake. Monitoring CPU temperatures with CPUID HWMonitor, they reach approx 90 degrees. This should be relatively normal under stress.

However, the system will suddenly freeze, with mouse and everything being unresponsive.

The fan is spinning, but the system is completely unresponsive.

Is this a problem with the program itself, or is the Overclocking on the CPU unstable?

I have only had this system for 2 days, so am quite weary on how tests may have been handled. Although Unigine Heaven ran fine, it seems that in "real world" performance problems may occurr. Went into the BIOS and checked voltages, and everything seemed fine.

In the worst possible outcome, is it possible to remove the Overclocking option on the order, get a refund for said option and bring back the system to stock voltages and frequencies?

Thanks for your time, hope you are able to help soon.

Thanks

Re: 3XS System - Unstable Overclock?

New Update on this problem. First I encoded a sample video with Any Video Converter, and eventhough the system seemed unresponsive it finished the encoding. The video was fine.

I then ran Handbrake again, this time it blue screened.

I ran "BlueScreenView" to have a look at the error logs. Here is the image:

The culprit seems to be ntoskrnl.exe. This narrows it down somewhat, but it's not really helpful as it could really be a faulty memory module. The only thing I did is installed a new 1TB Sata drive, but I hardly think this can freeze an entire system?

I can easily remove memory modules one by one, by removing the Noctua 150mm fan. It hopefully should be enough and I shouldn't have to move the whole cooler.

I have been building systems since the Prescott 3.4 days, overclocking included, and fail to believe that engineers at Scan would not test in a "real world" enviroment. Most stress tests run ok, but it is when you use your computer for such operations that problems emerge. I really don't think I am more capable of building a system (from 2012, still working, with an extreme 3700k OC) than Scan's engineers, so I'd like to hope the problem is a software one rather than poor Quality-Control.

I have also spoken to Adam on the phone, and he seems like a sound guy, going out of his way to help me out with the build since I wasn't really up to date with modern components.

I hope the problem is resolved as it stresses me out when things don't work as they should (and in the end, it might be my fault for installing Handbreak), and the system is quite expensive too.

Thank you all for reading.

Thread Information