Thread: SCAN UK Warranty Void when SN label removed from the motherboard

Thanks

Question SCAN UK Warranty Void when SN label removed from the motherboard

Hello All!

Never posted on the forum before so bear with me.

I purchased new computer parts from SCAN on 03.04.2019 including Asus Maximus 11 Non-Wi-Fi motherboard. Soon after putting the system together I realised that there is auditable (electrical buzzing/ high pitch whistle) noise coming from the rear of the PC when using internet or downloading files (internet cable connection).

I did not worry about it too much thinking it must be a coil whine or a capacitor of sorts on the new board. However, after 7 days I have noticed that the high-pitched noise is coming from the case even without using internet. It first happened after about 2-3h gaming session when the system was idling. I started my investigation and localised the source to be somewhere around CPU and RAM area.

The specs of the machine are as follows:

Motherboard: Asus Maximus 11 Hero – tried changing C-states and turning off all power saving/control options in BIOS with no result, overclocking had no effect nor did XMP profiles.

CPU: i7-9700k – Cooler is Noctua NH-D15

RAM: 2x16 GB Corsair 3200Mhz LPX

PSU: Corsair RM750x – it is 6 months old and was used in my previous build with no issues. I also have Corsair RM1000 that I have tried with the new build and the noise was still present. I also tested different PSU cables with no improvement.

GPU: RTX 2070 Gigabyte Windforce – in my tests I removed the GPU and power cables. Noise still present.

Storage: Samsung 970 PRO NVMe M.2 512 GB

Fans: Noctua NF-A14

With no other ideas I had decided to contact ASUS who referred me back to SCAN for RMA. Here I must give credit to SCAN for extremely quick response and return process (I contacted scan 13 days after goods were delivered).

Here is where real problems have started:

SCAN tested the board and found no fault. I am not sure how I feel about this as the issue was there when I was using the board (I even recorded the sound that I am happy to link should someone be interested).

The biggest issue is that I removed the Serial Number Label from the back of the motherboard when inspecting the back of the computer (don’t ask why, I just thought that since the sticker was somewhere around the area that the sound was coming from it might have been related). It is important to note that the label had just a serial number on it without the crucial ‘warranty void if removed’ text. The Serial number is also on the box of the motherboard with the text that does say warranty void if removed - I did not touch that sticker

Thanks

Re: SCAN UK Warranty Void when SN label removed from the motherboard

Sorry, seems like rest of the post got cut off. Here is the continuation:

Now, SCAN told me that since the label from the motherboard has been removed, they have no way of identifying whether that is part of their stock therefore the warranty is void.

That cannot possibly be right. There was no notice on the label itself, there is no mention of it in terms & conditions and there is a Serial Number on the box. I contacted SCAN and was told that in their gesture of good will they tested the board (since apparently, I have no warranty) and they are sending it back to me. When arguing my point, I was told that I might have replaced the motherboard with another ASUS Maximus that I bought elsewhere and try to scam the company.

All components I received from SCAN (memory, storage, CPU, fans, motherboard) had labels on the boxes with SN on them and note ‘warranty void if removed’. No other item except motherboard had a SN label on itself. My question therefore is if anything else breaks down and I send it out in the box with serial number it will be OK, but motherboard is somehow special? I mean if we follow that logic, I could have bought another i7-9700k and just put it in the box and send it off to them and everything would be OK?

TL;DR: Removed SN label from the motherboard. Board is making weird electrical sound. Send back to SCAN who found no fault in the board and informed me of warranty void due to SN label missing from the board despite having one on the box.

Thanks

Would you be able to post your invoice number please (which we'll remove) so we can look into this further for you?

Thank you

Thanks

Hello David,

The invoice number is: **removed**

Thank you.
    Last edited by DavidM; 29-04-2019 at 12:46 PM.

Thanks

Our returns department are currently dealing with this for you. Please keep an eye on your inbox for further updates.

Thanks

Hi David,

I just received my motherboard back. I also received automated notifications from SCAN with board labelled 'Rejected - warranty void'.
    Not sure what you meant by saying your returns department are dealing with this, but it is not the outcome I was hoping for.

There was no response from SCAN to my two emails I sent on Saturday 27th and Sunday 28th and only written communication I had regarding the issue was with you via forum posts or automatic emails.

I feel that I raised valid points that were not answered and SCAN did not show any effort to resolve the issue (except hopefully you DavidM).

All I can say is thank you for checking the board and not charging me for postage. It does however feel like going to a doctor for a check-up and leaving with amputated hands and a note 'be happy we didn't charge you for that'.

I am disappointed. SCAN might have saved some money on this occasion, but definitely lost a future customer.

Regards

Thanks

it's a tricky one for scan and i can see their point - it's open to abuse but i don't see how it makes a difference on the great scheme of things as i believe the bios will show the serial of the mobo unless i'm mistaken? this would be solvable if it is. sure i've seen it displayed and under it is the bios revision. may be worth checking.

i tend to just leave all labels intact on products as it also gives a great excuse for companies to reject for a missing serial label etc even though some are not held on very well and in the past have fallen off.

Thanks

Hi silent,

I agree. It can be abused in certain situations by certain people and I didn't make my life easier by removing the label. In my defence I don't have much experience with PC building and all I knew was to stay clear of the 'Warranty Void' labels. I didn't occur to me that this flimsy label on the back of the board would matter if there are others exactly like it on the box itself. Like I stated before I don't understand how it can be different for other PC parts such as RAM sticks that have a sticker on the box only. How would SCAN verify that those sticks I put in the box are part of their stock or not? Surely they would rely on the SN label on the box. But that logic doesn't apply to the motherboard.

SCAN did reply eventually with a link to motherboard's manual stating that if the SN is defaced or missing the warranty is void. At that point I just gave up.
    The interesting part is that I have registered the motherboard with ASUS using the BIOS to identify the motherboard's serial number before sending it off to SCAN and the serial number is completely different than the one on the 'unfortunate' SN label. Not sure how that is supposed to work.

Again, I understand that I am at fault here for removing the sticker, but I can't shake off the feeling that SCAN performs a box-ticking exercise in order to dismiss any responsibility for the (lets face it) brand new product.

Thanks

yes, i see your points on that, it's a sticky wicket.

what i find with CPU and RAM, the serials always match on the boxes and the dimms generally. why the bios serials for that mobo don't match the ones on the box it beggars belief!

it looks like a lesson to learn as scan won't do ouwt else, even out of good will. it might be worth finding out a report of their test and equipment used as it might be something else in your system causing the problem. if they used different products it might be worth finding out. i'm sure @scan will let you know that.

Thread Information