Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warranty issue or not??

Thanks

Angry Warranty issue or not??

So to be brief - here is the problem. Purchased a Sum Vision 3.5 multi media centre and put my own 80gb hard drive inside. I used it properly for the first time 3 days after receiving it. Whilst watching a downloaded video the player stopped and I immediately noticed a small plume of smoke coming from the rear, where the external pwer supply plugs in. Inspection revealed the circuit board burnt and my hard drive now dead. I sent the item back as faulty under warranty under the above RMA. Scan wouldnt entertain replacing the hard drive and after testing rejected the RMA as they couldnt test it as it was burnt...doh...that was why I returned it. So they say they will return it to the supplier on my behalf. Hang on a minute under sale of goods act my contract is with scan. I had to sign a disclaimer allowing scan to send the item back to the UK supplier, to see if they will refund/replace. This scan will do as an act of good faith - what tosh..this is a warranty issue.
    I was dissatisfied so wrote to them on 9th March. To date I have had no reply. I have emailed since and still no reply.
    So - please tell me scan why this is not a warranty issue. If I brought a kettle from Comet and the thing stopped working i can guarantee they would replace it under warranty and then take the issue up with the supplier/manfacturer. Its called the sale of goods act and is also good customer service.
    Any response would be nice. Its now 40 days since the thing went wrong and still nothing from scan.
    Hmmm - To say I am upset is an understatement
    Rich

Registered+
    Thanks
    The Sales of Goods Act does not cover Physical Damage, what we need to ascertain is exactly what caused the item to spark and smoke and this is why we need to return the item to the manufacturers as only they are authorised to open the unit and report on exactly what caused this damage and whether or not it is covered by warranty.

I have spoken to the manufacturers and they have confirmed they will work on the item and we hope to have a decision for you by Monday of next week at the latest.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the delay and any inconvenience caused, i understand the frustrations and I would like to assure you we will get this sorted for you as quickly as we possibly can.

Thanks
    • IAmATeaf's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600@3.25
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2GB Corsair 6400C5DHX XMS2
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 0.5TB 7200.12, 2 x 1.5TB 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX460 OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC6089B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung T240 24"
      • Internet:
      • 6Mb ADSL Max
    The use of the words Physical Damage above makes it sounds like the buyer wilfully damaged the item, whereas what the buyer is saying is that the item blew up so surely this would be covered, it just so happens that as it's an electrical item it went up in smoke as it's finale.

Registered+
    Thanks
    We cannot just take an end users word, it needs to be checked out by the manufacturer and to confirm what went wrong and why it went wrong.

Once the manufacturers confirm to us that it is covered under warranty we will issue a replacement.

As an example which is not related to this case say an item exploded and we replaced it, returned it to our manufacturers whom then say yes it did explode, but this was becuase an incorrect power supply was inserted with wrong voltages causing the unit to explode, this would be physical damage due to negligence.

We just have to find out why it happened, obviously it should'nt and i know in this case the value of the item is low, but company policy cannot differentiate it could quite easilly have been a £500 item we are dealing with.
    Last edited by wesleyaldred; 27-03-2007 at 03:17 PM.

Thanks
    Thank you Wesley for replying so soon. Perhaps in order to get things done at Scan one needs to post to a forum rather than a letter to the company themselves. By your argument anything that goes wrong could ultimately be as a result of physical damage. The heel that comes off a pair of shoes, the kettle element that burns out. The trim that falls off from the interior of a new car. These are all physically damaged yet i dont suspect the supplier will quibble over words, and in many cases will accept that to have an item for 3 days which then malfunctions causing it to catch fire, is justly a warranty fault. What are you suggesting I have done. Do I have stronger electricity where I live, which is too much for the unit? If so why does everything else work fine? Yes the item is physically damaged, but damage caused by the faulty item itself.
    We could go on for weeks debating the finer points of the english language and consumer law etc. But one thing always used to be true and that was that the customer was always right. In this instance it should be clear that for an item to fail after only 3 days would suggest there is something wrong with that item.

Thanks
    Whilst maybe the customer was always right - reason retailers could have such a policy was massive trading margins - at least for pc parts retailers thats not the case !

Don't misunderstand that as taking sides here - I try to see both sides of this particular equation. I'd say await manufacturers test - and go from there - if they say user error and you disagree fight them (manufacturer). Due to our weird consumer trading laws it may need to be the middle man at war - trading standards can be helpful here (or as useful as a chocolate fireguard)

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet
    It's a fair request to ask for something to get physically inspected by the manufacturer if they're unable to do it themselves.

Just sucks when you know you didn't do anything wrong

Thanks
    • IAmATeaf's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600@3.25
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2GB Corsair 6400C5DHX XMS2
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 0.5TB 7200.12, 2 x 1.5TB 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX460 OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC6089B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung T240 24"
      • Internet:
      • 6Mb ADSL Max
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucio View Post
    It's a fair request to ask for something to get physically inspected by the manufacturer if they're unable to do it themselves.

Just sucks when you know you didn't do anything wrong
    Wise words indeed and have to agree.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wesleyaldred View Post
    I have spoken to the manufacturers and they have confirmed they will work on the item and we hope to have a decision for you by Monday of next week at the latest.
    So - Monday at the latest...well its Monday now and not a dickie bird from Scan

I guess I'll be ringing them again tomorrow

HEXUS.social member Disturbedguy's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Disturbedguy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rog Strix Z370-H Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i7 8700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair something or other
      • Storage:
      • 1 x Samsung 960 EVO (250GB) 1 x Samsung 850 EVO (500GB)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1080Ti
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32inch Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • Crap
    Do you ever consider SCAN have more than one customer?

Give them a chance

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Disturbedguy View Post
    Do you ever consider SCAN have more than one customer?

Give them a chance
    I understand that I am not the only customer, but if given the timescale of Monday at the latest I would expect to have heard something by monday - either a result from the Suppliers or a courtesy call/email from Scan to say - sorry no news yet. In my line of work if I say I will call someone or if I arange to do something by a certain date and i fail and someone makes a complaint against me - then believe you me I am in for a roasting by my Superiors to the extent I wont make the same mistake again.
    Its called being courteous and I dont think I am being unrealstic to expect some sort of reply given the timescale.

HEXUS.social member Disturbedguy's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Disturbedguy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rog Strix Z370-H Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i7 8700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair something or other
      • Storage:
      • 1 x Samsung 960 EVO (250GB) 1 x Samsung 850 EVO (500GB)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1080Ti
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32inch Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • Crap
    But the post says they hope to not they will have, therefore they may have not recieved a reply or maybe due to the work load they simply forgot.

PM someone from SCAN to help ypu.

Thanks
    I believe Wesley was off ill today - but I'm sure he'll update you tomorrow if he's recovered.

Thanks
    (BTW - if you can PM me your invoice or RMA number - I'll forward the information to one of the Returns team - in case they have information in the meanwhile)

Registered+
    Thanks
    Good luck getting it sorted groomoid

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet
    Quote Originally Posted by groomoid View Post
    I understand that I am not the only customer, but if given the timescale of Monday at the latest I would expect to have heard something by monday - either a result from the Suppliers or a courtesy call/email from Scan to say - sorry no news yet. In my line of work if I say I will call someone or if I arange to do something by a certain date and i fail and someone makes a complaint against me - then believe you me I am in for a roasting by my Superiors to the extent I wont make the same mistake again.
    Its called being courteous and I dont think I am being unrealstic to expect some sort of reply given the timescale.
    You obviously don't work in any form of retail then! Simply put, customers expect quicker answers than are sometimes realistic, so you are often forced to be psychic and guess when something will happen. Not to mention the person you're talking to on the phone often has little or nothing to do with whatever you're asking them, so in their day to day job it's impossible for them to know what's happening.

Think about it, if they speak to 100 customers a day (5 minutes per customer), 5% of them have a problem that needs follow ups, each followup takes between 10 and 30 minutes, then you can rapidly see why there isn't enough time to call people back. Simply put, calling people back wastes time that can be spent speaking to *new* customers with *new* problems and leaves the ones with exsisting problems to follow due process.

Thread Information