Thread: 4GB Ram Advice for Vista

Thanks

4GB Ram Advice for Vista

am I right in thinking that if I install 4GB RAM in Vista it would have to be the 64bit version and not the 32bit version as 32bit OS's don't support this much RAM. Am I also right in thinking that if I opt for a 64bit OS that none of my current software and games will work or is Vista 64bit backwards compatible.

Thanks
    Yes you will need the 64 bit version for 4GB RAM.

The main problem with 64 bit OS is the availability drivers. Check to see if 64 bit drivers are available for your hardware. Most of your apps and games should be ok.
    ::NZXT Rogue Case + Scythe Kaze Maru 140mm Fans | Scythe Kaze Master Ace Fan Controller | NorthQ Siberian Tiger Liquid Cooling | Enermax Liberty 400W PSU | Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L | Intel C2Q Q9450 | 4GB Apogee GT PC2-8500 DDR2 | Gigabyte ATI Radeon 1GB HD4850 Passive | 2TB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA | Pioneer DVR-216DBK SATA | Win 7 Home Premium | HP w2207 LCD | 1TB QNAP TS-119 Turbo NAS |
    ::Acer Aspire One Netbook + Carbon Fibre Skin | Intel Atom 1.6GHz | 1.5GB RAM | 8GB SSD | 16GB Class6 SDHC | Windows XP SP3 | 3 Mobile Broadband | 9 Cell Battery |
    ::HP Touchpad White | 1.5GHz | 64GB | webOS 3.2 |CyanogenMod 9 Android ICS |
    ::Shuttle SZ77R5 | Intel Core i5 3470s | 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz | Samsung 256GB 830 Series SSD | 2TB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA | Pioneer DVR-216DBK SATA | Win 8 Pro |

Thanks
    • Craig321's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8P67 Pro
      • CPU:
      • i7 2600k
      • Memory:
      • 4x 4GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB OCZ Vertex 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX480 1536MB
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2410
    Quote Originally Posted by slypie View Post
    am I right in thinking that if I install 4GB RAM in Vista it would have to be the 64bit version and not the 32bit version as 32bit OS's don't support this much RAM. Am I also right in thinking that if I opt for a 64bit OS that none of my current software and games will work or is Vista 64bit backwards compatible.
    Most of, if not all of your current games and software should work with 64bit.

You'll just need to check for 64bit drivers.

Thanks
    some of the games are a bit of a bitch to get working, IE if you play BF2 you may have problems with punkbuster and you have to run as administrator, a friend of mine would get booted every 5 minutes for inadequete OS priviliages, we tried everything we could find on the net and had no joy, we reinstalled XP on his pc and it picked up 3.25gb of the 4gb, thats with an 8800gtx installed also...check your manufactures of components for issues/drivers with vista X64, he has the asus striker extreme and had numerous problems with the audio.

Thanks
    • mycarsavw's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P8H77-M Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 3350P
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R9 285
      • PSU:
      • HX 620w
      • Case:
      • FD Define Mini
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ G2420HDBL + GL2450HT
      • Internet:
      • Sky
    Quote Originally Posted by modd1uk View Post
    some of the games are a bit of a bitch to get working, IE if you play BF2 you may have problems with punkbuster and you have to run as administrator, a friend of mine would get booted every 5 minutes for inadequete OS priviliages, we tried everything we could find on the net and had no joy,
    http://www.tma.dk/punkbuster.asp

That worked for me.

Now back to the topic....
    |Kata: "Read title as 'fisting'. Not sure why I clicked. Relieved, really."|
    |TAKTAK: "It was so small that mine wouldn't fit into it"|

Thanks
    • Blitzen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Intel Quad Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz : 30 Degrees Idle - 41-46 Degrees Load
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 1GB OCZ Platinum PC6400 @ 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500GB Samsung Spinpoints - RAID 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 285
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU 82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic Q22wb 22" Widescreen - 5ms
      • Internet:
      • O2 premium @ 17mb

All your games (at least the ones less than 4 years old) should be fine.

Also, the driver support is fine and there are no problems that i can think of no matter what others say.

I have been using it since its release on MSDN and i did encounter problems with drivers at first.
    Now though, and for at least the last 6-8 weeks, all the main players have got their act together and sorted the drivers properly.

Get the 64 Bit version and enjoy.

Thanks
    You can run 4GB on 32bit, but its just far less hassle, easier (and in some cases) cheaper to use 64 bit (plus the gain would be much greater).

The driver situation purely depends on your hardware. If you are using recent stuff, you will largely be fine. There is still the odd bug, but on the whole they are non-critical.
    Apart from if you're running a creative card, which still have poor drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    Also, the driver support is fine and there are no problems that i can think of no matter what others say.
    Ugh

Driver support is fine for the hardware you are using. Using a blanket sweeping statement like that across all devices just isn't fair . Many company's still have drivers that are fairly immature, it is purely down to what is in your system as to if it'll work successfully or not
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    Ahh that just goes to show my lack of knowledge on 64bit systems I thought software including games had to be 64bit compatible and didn't think 64bit was backward compatible. I was worried that none of my games and appz would work. Cheers guys for the advise I was going to buy a 32bit copy of Vista but now I'll opt for the 64bit as my equipment is pretty new.

Thanks
    • markbrown83's system
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 660 OC
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WFP-HC
    Ahh that just goes to show my lack of knowledge on 64bit systems I thought software including games had to be 64bit compatible and didn't think 64bit was backward compatible. I was worried that none of my games and appz would work. Cheers guys for the advise I was going to buy a 32bit copy of Vista but now I'll opt for the 64bit as my equipment is pretty new.
    Post your spec and we could maybe let you know how it runs in Vista x64 if we have the same components?

Thread Information