Thread: A disk-read error occured

Thanks

A disk-read error occured

Hi,

I recently ordered a new 400gb samsung hard drive as my old raptor was on it's way out. So I've come to install windows on this new drive. It's booting from the CD, finding the drive, formatting it, installing the cab files etc. But on the fist restart I'm getting the following message:

"A disk-read error has occured, press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to restart your system"

Now, I'd understand this if it was an old drive but this is brand new. It also occurs when I try to install either XP or vista.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

oh. My motherboard is an asus A8N32 sli-deluxe

Thanks
    I have this same problem with a PC i was repairing for a mate a long time ago.

It turned out to be SP2 that was incorporated in XP.

I had to install an old version of XP with SP1a incorporated then uprgrage with the original SP2 disk.

Thanks
    So you reckon the issue would still exist with vista? That being later and all....

Thanks
    Go to the link below. Download Samsung's hard disk testing software and test the hard drive.

http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...ort_HUTIL.html

Nickp.
    ::NZXT Rogue Case + Scythe Kaze Maru 140mm Fans | Scythe Kaze Master Ace Fan Controller | NorthQ Siberian Tiger Liquid Cooling | Enermax Liberty 400W PSU | Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L | Intel C2Q Q9450 | 4GB Apogee GT PC2-8500 DDR2 | Gigabyte ATI Radeon 1GB HD4850 Passive | 2TB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA | Pioneer DVR-216DBK SATA | Win 7 Home Premium | HP w2207 LCD | 1TB QNAP TS-119 Turbo NAS |
    ::Acer Aspire One Netbook + Carbon Fibre Skin | Intel Atom 1.6GHz | 1.5GB RAM | 8GB SSD | 16GB Class6 SDHC | Windows XP SP3 | 3 Mobile Broadband | 9 Cell Battery |
    ::HP Touchpad White | 1.5GHz | 64GB | webOS 3.2 |CyanogenMod 9 Android ICS |
    ::Shuttle SZ77R5 | Intel Core i5 3470s | 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz | Samsung 256GB 830 Series SSD | 2TB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA | Pioneer DVR-216DBK SATA | Win 8 Pro |

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MeCoconuts View Post
    I have this same problem with a PC i was repairing for a mate a long time ago.

It turned out to be SP2 that was incorporated in XP.

I had to install an old version of XP with SP1a incorporated then uprgrage with the original SP2 disk.
    I tried that, now it won't even boot from the hard disk or the cd now? I just get a flashing cursor when booting from the disk and "setup is inspecting your hardware configuration...." then a black screen when booting from the CD.

If I unplug the HDD then it boots from the CD fine. I've also tried multiple SATA ports and cables

Thanks
    Could a mod possibly move this to the hardware help section? I'm sure it's not really a scan issue.

Thread Information