Thread: New Asus P5K-E forgets BIOS settings too....

Thanks

Unhappy New Asus P5K-E forgets BIOS settings too....

Just received my new P5K-E and can't change any of the settings in the BIOS. As soon as I choose "save and exit" the PC either hangs or tries to re-boot and then hangs. Usually I then have to disconnect the PSU connection from the m/b for a few seconds and then it boots up again but back to the BIOS defaults.

So frustrating - I wanna play with my new quad core!!!

I've sent a query back to Scan asking for an RMA but really hoped to have it up and running by the weekend. Can I ask what Scan's policy is on RMA's? If it's faulty on arrival do they ship you out a replacement and pick up the faulty one at the same time or do you have to wait for Scan to receive the faulty unit before they ship another one out???

Hope I didn't make a bad choice going for the Asus rather than the Gigabyte board here ....

Thanks

Re: New Asus P5K-E forgets BIOS settings too....

I know its unlikely but just check the CMOS reset jumper is in the correct position.

Nickp.
    ::NZXT Rogue Case + Scythe Kaze Maru 140mm Fans | Scythe Kaze Master Ace Fan Controller | NorthQ Siberian Tiger Liquid Cooling | Enermax Liberty 400W PSU | Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L | Intel C2Q Q9450 | 4GB Apogee GT PC2-8500 DDR2 | Gigabyte ATI Radeon 1GB HD4850 Passive | 2TB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA | Pioneer DVR-216DBK SATA | Win 7 Home Premium | HP w2207 LCD | 1TB QNAP TS-119 Turbo NAS |
    ::Acer Aspire One Netbook + Carbon Fibre Skin | Intel Atom 1.6GHz | 1.5GB RAM | 8GB SSD | 16GB Class6 SDHC | Windows XP SP3 | 3 Mobile Broadband | 9 Cell Battery |
    ::HP Touchpad White | 1.5GHz | 64GB | webOS 3.2 |CyanogenMod 9 Android ICS |
    ::Shuttle SZ77R5 | Intel Core i5 3470s | 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz | Samsung 256GB 830 Series SSD | 2TB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA | Pioneer DVR-216DBK SATA | Win 8 Pro |

Registered+
    Thanks

I am sure these Asus 'top of the range, made for gamers' motherboards aren’t all they're cracked up to be. I even had a M2N32-SLi Delux mobo die on me whilst transplanting it into another case - for no apparent reason whatsoever. (I am VERY careful when handling my expensive PC equipment), and now my Striker Extreme is dead too, and your P5K-E! It's not really on when we pay a hefty premium because we 'think' we get what we pay for.
    Your problem does sound suspiciously similar to mine, I wonder if they share the same chips!

Thanks
    • masscrazy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K-E
      • CPU:
      • Intel C2Q Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsai 6400
      • Storage:
      • 7HDD's 8TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4890PCS+
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define XL
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 X Dell 24" 2407WFP Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • Sky Broadband 14Mb Download 600Kb Upload

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCliff View Post
    Just received my new P5K-E and can't change any of the settings in the BIOS. As soon as I choose "save and exit" the PC either hangs or tries to re-boot and then hangs. Usually I then have to disconnect the PSU connection from the m/b for a few seconds and then it boots up again but back to the BIOS defaults.

So frustrating - I wanna play with my new quad core!!!

I've sent a query back to Scan asking for an RMA but really hoped to have it up and running by the weekend. Can I ask what Scan's policy is on RMA's? If it's faulty on arrival do they ship you out a replacement and pick up the faulty one at the same time or do you have to wait for Scan to receive the faulty unit before they ship another one out???

Hope I didn't make a bad choice going for the Asus rather than the Gigabyte board here ....
    Please keep us upto date! I was going to order my quad and P5k-E tomorrow evening.

Thanks

have you tried updating to the latest bios?

Thanks

Chiyau:
    So far, I've updated to *every* version of BIOS on the Asus web site (just in case one of them sorts the problem out!) but no change. The BIOS update from USB stick works well though - at least that's something I guess!

Nickp8:
    Definately worth asking but yep, I've made sure the jumper is in the right place. I even set it to the "wrong" setting just in case it had the same problem that an old Gigabyte motherboard of mine had where the jumper position was 180° out from the manual ... that got confusing!

I've left the PC on overnight just in case it needed "bedding in" or the battery charging or something (how can you tell I'm clutching at straws here ....) but this morning I can't even get the damn thing to boot up at all ((

Thanks

chiyau - just noticed from your sig that you've got a P5K-E. If you make a change in the BIOS and then "save & exit", does the PC power down for a couple of seconds and then re-boot or does it just simply re-boot?

Whenever you update anything in the BIOS it power's down completely before re-booting. Just wondered whether this was right or not?
    Last edited by SteveCliff; 23-08-2007 at 09:41 AM.

Odc
    Thanks
    • Odc's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Corsair MX100, 500Gb Samsung
      • Graphics card(s):
      • SLI Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448
      • PSU:
      • 750W Enermax
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster Centurion 5
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell SP2309W
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 2

chiyau - just noticed from your sig that you've got a P5K-E. If you make a change in the BIOS and then "save & exit", does the PC power down for a couple of seconds and then re-boot or does it just simply re-boot?

Whenever you update anything in the BIOS it power's down completely before re-booting. Just wondered whether this was right or not?
    When I first got my p5k-e / wi-fi ap it did power down the first time that I changed the settings. Now however, it just restarts when I make a change.

I think that it only restarts when you make a major change like the ones relating to your CPU or over clocking. It scared the hell out of me when it turned off lol.

Hexus Trust = Odesi

Thanks

yes it does shut down then restarts when I save/exit after I made a change to the cpu settings, its a feature on most P35 boards.

Thanks

If you make a major change it powers down. Otherwise it doesnt. In you case it will do it everytime I guess as it doesnt save the settings.

Nickp.
    ::NZXT Rogue Case + Scythe Kaze Maru 140mm Fans | Scythe Kaze Master Ace Fan Controller | NorthQ Siberian Tiger Liquid Cooling | Enermax Liberty 400W PSU | Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L | Intel C2Q Q9450 | 4GB Apogee GT PC2-8500 DDR2 | Gigabyte ATI Radeon 1GB HD4850 Passive | 2TB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA | Pioneer DVR-216DBK SATA | Win 7 Home Premium | HP w2207 LCD | 1TB QNAP TS-119 Turbo NAS |
    ::Acer Aspire One Netbook + Carbon Fibre Skin | Intel Atom 1.6GHz | 1.5GB RAM | 8GB SSD | 16GB Class6 SDHC | Windows XP SP3 | 3 Mobile Broadband | 9 Cell Battery |
    ::HP Touchpad White | 1.5GHz | 64GB | webOS 3.2 |CyanogenMod 9 Android ICS |
    ::Shuttle SZ77R5 | Intel Core i5 3470s | 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz | Samsung 256GB 830 Series SSD | 2TB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA | Pioneer DVR-216DBK SATA | Win 8 Pro |

Thanks

I'd disconnect everything not required to get it into the BIOS, mouse, hdd's, floppy everything, then try it.
    Or PSU

Thanks

Thanks for the info all - Scan have thankfully agreed to RMA the board so hopefully the new one will work more as I expect it to!

Unfortunately as I've booked a couple of days off work I really wanted my new PC to play with - so I've ordered another board for delivery tomorrow (hopefully - pretty please Scan!) so I can have a play. Scan have said they will simply give me a refund on the original board.

I really hope this was a one off though, although I have noticed others with BIOS saving problems too ...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by [GSV]Trig View Post
    I'd disconnect everything not required to get it into the BIOS, mouse, hdd's, floppy everything, then try it.
    Or PSU
    The only thing I had running at the end was one stick of memory and a video card - everything else was disconnected I also tried a different PSU as well.

Thanks for the thought though!

Thread Information