Thread: Dodgy retail Intel HSF

Thanks

Dodgy retail Intel HSF

Apologies for the long first post but its late and I have been at this all day.

I pretty much purchased a new machine in parts from Scan back in January/February this year. Based around a Duo Core 2 E6300 (Retail HSF) and an Abit-9WD-Max. It’s been running pretty hot since I got it (58/60) on idle)but as the case if pretty insulated for sound proofing and had 4 HDDs in it including a raptor I just put it down to needing some more airflow. Also not really been doing much that would stress the machine to wasnt all that worried about the temps as long as i kept them below 65ish.

Have recently moved house the ambient temp is much lower, got to love this summer weather we are having. I also managed to move one of the HDDs to an external enclosure. So today I took that HDD out and cleaned out the case. Removed the HSF and cleaned all the goo off and put a fine layer of some new arctic silver that I just got from scan.

On reboot I just managed to get into the bios where I saw that my CPU was at 90C I shut down the system and checked the HSF. There was almost no compound on the CPU despite the base of the HSF being covered with it. Well needless to say that half a tube of arctic silver, and not an inconsiderable amount of time spent on trial and error, later I have discovered that there is a very slight lip around most of the round copper base of the HSF. My last test was to take out the CPU and just put compound on one of the surfaces and press them together and see if it was the result of some obstruction in the case. As there was not a complete transfer of compound there is obviously some minor, but significant, variation in the surfaces with the marks would suggesting that it is the HSF that is the culprit. I can’t imagine that this is the way it is designed as I have never found this the case with HSFs before so I obviously need a new one.

Incidently I’m glad I also ordered some of that citrus based CPU cleaner as I think I would have passed out if I had to use the same amount of my usual meths.

Currently it is up and running with a fair dollop of compound and I am getting temps around 53/55C idle. However with a proper HSF I would imagine I could get that down low enough to try overclocking. Is it worth me trying to get it replaced? If so do I go through Scan or Intel? I know it is not the best cooler in the world but anything better and quite is likely to be £20-£30 + shipping. I do not however want to be without a HSF if I have to send this one back as it is not worth putting this out of action for any length of time.

Any thoughts or recommendations on a new HSF quite and able to give some extra cooling for overclocking?

N

Thanks
    • stormy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Deluxe/WIFI-AP
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb Kingston Memory
      • Storage:
      • WD SE16 7200RPM 16Mb Cache - 1x500Gb + 1x320Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus EAH4850 TOP 512Mb Radeon
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64Bit Home Premium, Retail
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2408WFP 24" Widescreen 1920x1200
      • Internet:
      • Karoo Broadband Max 8Mbps

Re: Dodgy retail Intel HSF

I would just buy a decent aftermarket sink, like the Artic Cooler Freezer Pro:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=340995

For the price its not worth trying to get better cooling with the stock HS/FAN.

Mike

Thanks
    • Lee H's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Carbon Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700K Unlocked CPU
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 LPX
      • Storage:
      • 250GB 960 EVO + a few more drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6GB Palit GTX 1060 Dual
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750W Modular Blue
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media

I agree with what Stormy has suggested.

The intel HSF are not the best out there for cooling and run at higher temps than a lot of the better third party coolers such as the Arctic Cooler. A few websites report that the intel cooler runs at about 54-56 degrees.

Best Regards,

Thanks

Artic Cooler Freezer 7 a go go 3rded

Error exists between Keyboard & Chair replace User and press Any Key!

.... Where's the Any Key???

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I never really expected much from the stock cooler but i at least expected it to make propper contact with the cpu. Will check out the arctic freezer.

n

Thanks

The point is though he shouldnt need to buy an aftermarket one. If there is a problem with the one that was supplied with the cpu it should be changed, and it seems there is as if you check out some reviews you will find the stock cooler should give a lower temperature.

Nickp.
    ::NZXT Rogue Case + Scythe Kaze Maru 140mm Fans | Scythe Kaze Master Ace Fan Controller | NorthQ Siberian Tiger Liquid Cooling | Enermax Liberty 400W PSU | Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L | Intel C2Q Q9450 | 4GB Apogee GT PC2-8500 DDR2 | Gigabyte ATI Radeon 1GB HD4850 Passive | 2TB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA | Pioneer DVR-216DBK SATA | Win 7 Home Premium | HP w2207 LCD | 1TB QNAP TS-119 Turbo NAS |
    ::Acer Aspire One Netbook + Carbon Fibre Skin | Intel Atom 1.6GHz | 1.5GB RAM | 8GB SSD | 16GB Class6 SDHC | Windows XP SP3 | 3 Mobile Broadband | 9 Cell Battery |
    ::HP Touchpad White | 1.5GHz | 64GB | webOS 3.2 |CyanogenMod 9 Android ICS |
    ::Shuttle SZ77R5 | Intel Core i5 3470s | 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz | Samsung 256GB 830 Series SSD | 2TB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA | Pioneer DVR-216DBK SATA | Win 8 Pro |

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media

Quote Originally Posted by nickp8 View Post
    The point is though he shouldnt need to buy an aftermarket one. If there is a problem with the one that was supplied with the cpu it should be changed, and it seems there is as if you check out some reviews you will find the stock cooler should give a lower temperature.

Nickp.
    There isnt, when its used as supplied (i.e. with a 2mm thick bit of transfer pad) As the OP has admitted removing same, this obviously brings to light the poor quality control that can result in a signifcanly recessed contact area. However, as supplied, it worked fine, and with a similar thickness of transfer compound would continue to. Although its not ideal, intel will get the cheapest heatsinks that work.

Thanks

My first thoughts were along the lines of nickp8 but you make an interesting point herulach about the transfer pad. I suppose technically you are right I suppose i just figured that at the very least quality control would result in a flat base.

Splashed out and ordered a ninja scythe. Although not from scan unfortunately cause I while I have not problems with city link i cant really justify another day off work and delivery to work is not an option at the moment. At least with royal mail/parcelforce i can get it at the local post office. Delivery is not really all that cost effective for small orders to NI. Not really complaining though as on the whole have been more than happy with any recent dealings with Scan.

SF
    Last edited by SpriteFeedback; 22-08-2007 at 07:19 PM. Reason: spelin

Registered+
    Thanks

The Ninja should do you fine - but remember that C2D's and Quads use a different method of Arctic Silver application from the old 'grain of rice - thin layer' method we all remember - they do tend to need a bit more:

Arctic Silver C2D Application Instructions

Artic Silver Quad Core Application Instructions

Thanks

Many thanks for the links Addywebb.

I had found them when i was first installing the CPU but had forgotten about them in the meantime. It is interesting as I would have thought that the entire metal cover that these chips have is a conductor and the more of it that you connect to the HSF the better. I suppose sticking a dollop in the centre allows it to be spread out by force of attaching the HSF. It does say it takes 200 hrs to reach maximum conduction. Also i suppose that the HSF is probably more conductive so ideally it should take the heat away directly from above the actual cpu before it spreads elsewhere on the metal cover.

SF

Thanks
    • Blitzen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Intel Quad Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz : 30 Degrees Idle - 41-46 Degrees Load
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 1GB OCZ Platinum PC6400 @ 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500GB Samsung Spinpoints - RAID 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 285
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU 82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic Q22wb 22" Widescreen - 5ms
      • Internet:
      • O2 premium @ 17mb

The Intel HS/Fan with the C2D's is actually pretty and a vst improvement than the earlier generations.

Maybe it wasnt completely flat but...by your own admission, you put a 'dollop' of AS5 on.
    Dya know thats just as bad as using no Thermal COmpound at all?

Thanks

Actually the only reason I put a 'dollop' of AS5 on is that if I put a small amount the HSF does not make actual contact with the cpu other than at the very edge of the circular base, this is what gave me temps in excess of 80C !!!.
    Last edited by SpriteFeedback; 27-08-2007 at 03:43 PM. Reason: spelin

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

Just dug out my intell stock 775 cooler to look at it (after scrapeing off the remains of the paste, intel use a thick plasticy paste not a pad on these)
    The base looks just like this one
    There's no visable lip around the circular copper base, I did a quick eyeball inspection with the edge of a steel rule and while it's not 100% flat (the middle and edges are very slightly raised) and I can see circular milling marks, but there's deffinately no lip.
    it does sound like a dodgy HS&F that should never of got through Quallity control, sounds like you were unlucky.
    It should go back as an RMA as it does sound like there's a fault but I wouldn't say it's worth the hassle, a bit of fine grit wet and dry paper and a small flat wooden block should sort it out or better yet replaceing it for something better as you have done.

Still good to know if anyone else gets this problem.

EDIT: on the intell stock cooler, after looking at it and the slight lapping I gave my p4 d (granted not a c2d or qc but still the same basic chip structure)
    I lapped my chip after I took the stock cooler off to replace it with a arctic cooler Freezer7pro. when I did this I noticed the paste on the stock cooler had been squeezed to almost nothing at the edges and was still thick in the middle, Lapping confurmed that the cpu heat spreader was rather concave.

I'm not surpirsed intell use nearly 1mm of thermal compound not so much as to remove air pockets but to form a heat transfur medium between the two far from flat surfaces.
    I can also forsee that useing the tiny amounts of arctic silzer specified could cause problems, if there's less than enough paste to phsyically conect the 2 surfaces it will do nothing.
    Of course the principle behind thermal compound is not to fill in gaps left by unflat surfaces in the first place.
    Last edited by Pob255; 28-08-2007 at 01:48 AM.

Thread Information