Thread: Who pays for postage on faulty hard drives?

Registered+
    Thanks

Who pays for postage on faulty hard drives?

Hi there,
    I bought a hard drive in January which has become faulty. I phoned up Scan and was advised to send my hard drive to a company that deals with the manufacturer of my hard drive (Rexo). The postage with enough insurance to cover the cost should it go missing, comes to nearly £10.00. Am I entitled to get any of this back?
    Cheers,
    Beninio

Thanks
    • not_my_ip's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Duo E8200 @3.21
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 2GB 800 TwinX
      • Storage:
      • Samsung F1 7500
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac 8800GT
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Liberty 400W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Swing
      • Monitor(s):
      • Hanns G HU196D
      • Internet:
      • Adsl24

Re: Who pays for postage on faulty hard drives?

Usually you have to cover it with no refund and they will send back new/repaired drive and they will cover all costs

Thanks
    • amjedm's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus A8N-Sli Premium
      • CPU:
      • Athlon X2 4200 S939 + Scythe Ninja rev A
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Corsair DDR PC3200
      • Storage:
      • Samsung T 160GB Sata in Scythe Quiet Box
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 6600 256MB + Cooling Mod
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Noisetaker 485 (fanless) - lower chamber P180 fan doing the PSU cooling
      • Case:
      • P180 (modded - easier cable routing, front and rear grills cut)
      • Operating System:
      • XP Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" WTQ?
      • Internet:
      • O2 8MB (Standard)

Quote Originally Posted by not_my_ip View Post
    Usually you have to cover it with no refund and they will send back new/repaired drive and they will cover all costs
    What he said.

I had to send a WD drive to Germany a few years ago and had to cover the cost of sending.

Recently had to send a Maxtor for repair and had to cover the cost of sending to them.

Thanks

I'm sure if it's within 12 months and is a fault with the drive then the retailer pays.

Thanks
    • arthurleung's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5E (Rampage Formula 0902)
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 3.6Ghz 1.2V
      • Memory:
      • A-Data DDR2-800 2x2GB CL4
      • Storage:
      • 4x1TB WD1000FYPS @ RAID5 3Ware 9500S-8 / 3x 1TB Samsung Ecogreen F2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GeCube HD4870 512MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair VX450
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Server 2008 Standard
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp 2709W + 2001FP
      • Internet:
      • Be*Unlimited 20Mbps

Quote Originally Posted by slypie View Post
    I'm sure if it's within 12 months and is a fault with the drive then the retailer pays.
    It depends on the retailer. AFAIK SCAN does not pay for postage, while Ebuyer does.

Good thing about Maxtor and Seagate is that you can send to their collection center in the UK so the postage wouldn't be expensive.
    Workstation 1: Intel i7 950 @ 3.8Ghz / X58 / 12GB DDR3-1600 / HD4870 512MB / Antec P180
    Workstation 2: Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.6Ghz / X38 / 4GB DDR2-800 / 8400GS 512MB / Open Air
    Workstation 3: Intel Xeon X3350 @ 3.2Ghz / P35 / 4GB DDR2-800 / HD4770 512MB / Shuttle SP35P2
    HTPC: AMD Athlon X4 620 @ 2.6Ghz / 780G / 4GB DDR2-1000 / Antec Mini P180 White
    Mobile Workstation: Intel C2D T8300 @ 2.4Ghz / GM965 / 3GB DDR2-667 / DELL Inspiron 1525 / 6+6+9 Cell Battery

Display (Monitor): DELL Ultrasharp 2709W + DELL Ultrasharp 2001FP
    Display (Projector): Epson TW-3500 1080p
    Speakers: Creative Megaworks THX550 5.1
    Headphones: Etymotic hf2 / Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro

Storage: 8x2TB Hitachi @ DELL PERC 6/i RAID6 / 13TB Non-RAID Across 12 HDDs
    Consoles: PS3 Slim 120GB / Xbox 360 Arcade 20GB / PS2

Thanks
    • IAmATeaf's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600@3.25
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2GB Corsair 6400C5DHX XMS2
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 0.5TB 7200.12, 2 x 1.5TB 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX460 OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC6089B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung T240 24"
      • Internet:
      • 6Mb ADSL Max

I've always had to pay the postage outside of what would be regarded as the DOA period. Ignoring the actual costs - tis no different to jumping in your car and taking a vacuum cleaner back to your local Comets, you pay for the travel costs.

Thanks

Whilst it was a long time ago that I did my degree in E-Business and part of that was law I'm sure that the law states if it's within 12 months and the fault is not your own then the consumer shouldn't be out of pocket for repairs or costs incurred sending the item back. The reason (This isn't a go at Scan as plenty of places do it) most retailers don't tell you thats the case is because it costs them money and so aren't forthcomming with the information. I would check with trading standards to be sure but I'm sure thats the case.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

It depends on the basis under which you're returning the drive. It could be, for instance :-

1) Under the Distance Selling Regs
    2) Under your Sale of Goods Act rights
    3) Under warranty

If, for example, you're returning goods under 1) (Distance Selling Regs) then :-

a) the retailer can include a condition in their terms that the consumer will pay the cost of returning. That will then apply UNLESS you are rejecting the goods under some other contract term, such as your Sale of Goods Act rights, as well. In that case, they're liable regardless of what their T&Cs say, because the DSR explicitly makes them liable.

b) if the retailer doesn't have that in his terms, then he's liable. Most, clearly, will have that term in their conditions.

So ... if the goods are within the period within which you can return them under the DSR, then who pays for the costs will depend on WHY they're being returned. If you've just decided you don't want them, you'll probably pay. If they're faulty, you CAN insist that the retailer pays, because after all, he's in breach of contract for supplying faulty goods.

That's fine from a technical perspective. But from a pragmatic one, is it worth arguing the point? If the retailer absolutely refuses to cover the cost of return, the potentially, the only way to enforce it would be small claims court? Is it worth the hassle? Monetarily, probably not. But some people, including me if I figured I'm being jerked about, will do it out of sheer bloody-mindedness.

On a warranty claim, the cost of return will be borne by whoever the warranty conditions say they are. But, if the goods are faulty, you don't have to use the warranty provision. You can always rely on your SoGA rights. That MIGHT not be the best course of action, but you have that choice and the retailer CANNOT take it away from you, however much some may try to.

For standard Sale of Goods Act situations, again, the cost should be paid by the retailer, and for the same reason .... breach of contract. Convincing them to actually stump up may be a problem, short of a court case, but they're liable for it.

Registered+
    Thanks

Thanks guys.
    Just a bit peeved taht I have to pay for a faulty drive.

Thanks

Beninio, you have every right to return the item to Scan and not another place. Again I think scan should refund you your postage costs. I would ring them as under law they have to deal with returns in the first 12 months.

Thanks
    • not_my_ip's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Duo E8200 @3.21
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 2GB 800 TwinX
      • Storage:
      • Samsung F1 7500
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac 8800GT
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Liberty 400W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Swing
      • Monitor(s):
      • Hanns G HU196D
      • Internet:
      • Adsl24

I think slypie is right a bout this 12 month. But it just might be quicker, scan probably after would send it to rexo anyway (would took few more days).
    Benino have you try to contact rexo? You need to create RMA first and maybe they will arrange collection.

Thanks
    • Stanman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6TSE
      • CPU:
      • Intel I920
      • Memory:
      • 6GB OCZ 1600MHZ
      • Storage:
      • 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon 4850
      • PSU:
      • Tagan 580 modular
      • Case:
      • CM690
      • Operating System:
      • Window 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2409W

Quote Originally Posted by slypie View Post
    Whilst it was a long time ago that I did my degree in E-Business and part of that was law I'm sure that the law states if it's within 12 months and the fault is not your own then the consumer shouldn't be out of pocket for repairs or costs incurred sending the item back. The reason (This isn't a go at Scan as plenty of places do it) most retailers don't tell you thats the case is because it costs them money and so aren't forthcomming with the information. I would check with trading standards to be sure but I'm sure thats the case.
    Some one should tell that to Antec, they wanted me to return a PSU to Holland. Luckily sense prevailed and I had to cut the leads going into the PC and email pic showing serial number for replacement./

Also is there not legislation that covers you beyond the year dependiong on how much it cost i.e a £3000 TV should last more than 1 - 2 years, I remember reading something but cant locate it at the moment.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stanman View Post

Also is there not legislation that covers you beyond the year dependiong on how much it cost i.e a £3000 TV should last more than 1 - 2 years, I remember reading something but cant locate it at the moment.
    Yes, and no.

You have Sale of Goods Act rights, including that the goods must be of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose, as described, etc. Those rights become part of the contract, so any breach of those rights is a breach of contract. Under English law, you can generally sue for breach of contract for up to six years. It's five years in Scotland, IIRC.

But that does NOT mean that all goods must last 6 years. The goods should last a time that is "reasonable", given the nature of the goods, price paid, etc. So if you have the £3000 TV mentioned, it should last a "reasonable" time. Exactly how long that is is, ultimately, for a court to decide. Personally, I would certainly expect that it would be several years.

Within that framework, you have various remedies depending on exactly when the goods fail. If they fail before you've "accepted" them, then you're entitled to reject the goods and get a full refund. But that period will be pretty short, often a few days on maybe a month, unless there are exceptional circumstances.

After that, any fault found within the first 6 months will be assumed to have been present on delivery unless the retail can establish otherwise. At that point, you're entitled to repair, refund or perhaps a refund, but it may well not be a full refund.

After that initial 6 months, it will be for you to establish that the fault existed on delivery and those remedies will only be available if you can. In other words, after 6 months, you still have rights but the burden of proof is on you.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Spanamana's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Striker Extreme
      • CPU:
      • P4 Duo quad core 2.4
      • Memory:
      • DDR2 - 4Gb - Crucial
      • Storage:
      • 6 x 500 Gb - 2 x RAID 1 (Maxtor) - 4 x RAID 5 (Seagate)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus 8800 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 850W
      • Case:
      • ThermalTake Armour LCS
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer 19 inch LCD
      • Internet:
      • 8mb ADSL

I think it also depends upon whether you have purchased it as a business or as personal.

With personal purchases I have always got my costs back whether I have delivered to the shop or via mail order. I have successfully pursued that via the small claims court on two occasions.

With business purchases you are confined to the terms and conditions you accepted when you made the purchase.

Good luck

G

Thread Information