• Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 660 OC
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WFP-HC

Re: Scan 8800GTX and buzzing

Quote Originally Posted by spluff View Post
    same here - i only noticed it because i had my side door open and it only happens in 3d games, even the main menu it stayed quiet
    If I get the chance I will see if my 8800gtx card makes a noise when playing bioshock and I will post back tonight or tomorrow morning...

Thanks

yeah if its doing it - bioshock in game (not menu) will definately make it whine/buzz if you have got this issue.........

go into game then stick ear towards graphic card (near where the power sockets are) (case open)

Thanks
    • markbrown83's system
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 660 OC
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WFP-HC

Quote Originally Posted by spluff View Post
    yeah if its doing it - bioshock in game (not menu) will definately make it whine/buzz if you have got this issue.........

go into game then stick ear towards graphic card (near where the power sockets are) (case open)
    OK will do - will let you know.

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte DS4 965p Revision 2
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 4gig DDR 800 (C4)
      • Storage:
      • two 320gig Seagate Barracudas, and one 750 gig Seagate Barracuda (7200.10) and a 750gig same brand.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Apple Cinema Display 20"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media - Slow, expensive rip off, Indian customer service. Great choice eh? :C

Its a pain in the bum.

As far as I know, they ALL do it. Every 8800 card, from every manufacturer. I may be wrong, but I've seen 3 of them from different manufacturers, and they all do it. And I personally have owned two (so thats 5 total), and they both do it too.

The actual tone varies though, so it is less noticeable on some than on others. Also, the volume of the rest of your PC is the critical thing here. One of my mates for example, has a water cooled PC, which has three (or 4?) 120mm fans cooling the radiator at the back (which make a fair bit of noise - even when he lowers the speed), and then a pump to push the water around, which also makes some noise. (Not to mention his two raptors). So you can't hear the 8800GTX over all that sound. And many people on the net don't know about it because they have a CPU fan running at full speed etc. Its really noticeable on my PC because I have really low speed fans in my PC, so its annoying because I can hear it very clearly

The fan picks up speed when the card gets really pushed, so that makes a fair bit of extra noise, but I can cope with that noise just fine. But this noise is different. I have been following this for over 9 months now. I remember when I first researched it, people where uploading MP3's they had recorded of the noise, to try to explain it to people. There where a few threads on the net talking about it. One of them I still happen to have bookmarked, and its this one:
    http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1140549

Lastly, from what I can gather, I *think* it has something to do with the speed the card is displaying stuff at. So when the card is being pushed, the sound is not there.... But when the card is ready to roll, but it is displaying something very simple... and the frames per second are probably 100 or more... then the sound is at its most noticeable. That is my experience of it anyway.

What supports this thought, is that I mostly hear it when a game first loads up, and I am in the main menu of the game. If the menu is just static, then it might not happen. But if the menu has animated buttons etc.. then it can make the noise quite strongly. Also, in various games, it appears at various situations. In an MMORPG I used to play, you could hear it whenever you went into a little house. I have a game at the moment called Two Worlds, and in that game, the noise is nowhere to be heard the entire time, unless you go into a dungeon.... and it whines like crazy.

But the important thing anyway, is that its not Scan's card. Its all 8800's. (Maybe just the GTX's?).

P.S. In one thread, (maybe the one I linked) somebody explains what they think causes the problem. Buzzing resistors or whatever. I think somebody suggests something like putting nail varnish on them and letting it dry - to hold them down and stop them from vibrating. I would LOVE to know if this works, but theres no way in a million years I would want to do that to my card unless I know absolutely sure that it worked and that atleast a few thousand other people had tried it first I would sooner cover it in jam and stick it in the toaster than do that. But its an interesting suggestion anyway.
    Last edited by acrobat; 05-10-2007 at 03:10 AM.

JKL
    Thanks

Obviously there IS a problem. From what people are saying it certainly seems to be the graphics card, but I reserve judgment until the cause is well & truely nailed down.
    I still maintain it's not exclusive to just graphics cards but to other components as well.

Thanks
    • stormy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Deluxe/WIFI-AP
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb Kingston Memory
      • Storage:
      • WD SE16 7200RPM 16Mb Cache - 1x500Gb + 1x320Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus EAH4850 TOP 512Mb Radeon
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64Bit Home Premium, Retail
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2408WFP 24" Widescreen 1920x1200
      • Internet:
      • Karoo Broadband Max 8Mbps

I think its the coils on the PSU circuitry on my X1900XT that are the culprits, some people on SPCR fixed it by using hot glue concoptions to encase the coils which fixed it completely, I didnt want to try doing something like that and just decided to live with it.

The problem has been discussed many, many times on lots of forums including the Rage3D forum which there was a massive thread about X1900s with people trying to swap PSUs, mobos and all kinds of stuff to fix it. In the end it was just down to pot luck with which cards did and did not do it and which people could and could not notice it.

Mike

Thread Information