Thread: RMA Issue with an MSI P35 Neo2 FR Motherboard.

Thanks

RMA Issue with an MSI P35 Neo2 FR Motherboard.

In August I purchased an Intel Q6600 Quad Processor, 160 GB Seagate Hard Drive, Corsair 2GB DDRII memory, MSI P35 Neo2 FR Motherboard and a Powercolor Ati X1950 Pro Graphics Card to add to the Lite-On CD Rom, Western Digital Raptor 36 GB hard drive, and Tagan TG480-U1 Power Supply Unit that I already owned.

The system was correctly assembled with the 8 pin 12 volt (As demanded by a quad processor setup), the 24 pin Atx power cable connected, plus the 4 pin molex cable attached to the motherboard. Unfortunately when the system was powered up, the underside track beneath the 24 pin ATX connector blew. Instinctively I switched off the system and immediately contacted Scan Computers to arrange an RMA (Number 165886), explaining to the technical support the exact damage to the motherboard. . As the RMA details were sent to my e-mail address the old system had to be re-assembled and powered up. On the same day a replacement motherboard (same make and model) was ordered to avoid delay. Since then the new components has been re-assembled and powered up without a problem, and another system based on the P35 chipset have been built.

A few days later the Technical Support department sent an e-mail address refusing the RMA, stating the motherboard was damaged. After communicating again with the technical support department, it transpires the damage had immediately voided the warranty, and so their responsibility to offer a refund or replacement was rescinded. As a consequence the only way to further the chance to obtain a refund was to agree to sign a document (edited) absolving Scan of all responsibility. Although this contravened my statuary rights, the only way for the motherboard to be sent back to the manufacturer for analysis was to sign the agreement. A letter was dispatched with the motherboard expressing my dissatisfaction.

Today I received an e-mail from Scan stating that MSI had rejected the motherboard. No other explanation was stated. Understandably it is difficult to prove how the mainboard was damaged, but having fifteen years of experience building and configuring hundreds of computers and working in the industry, the implication that negligence played a part of causing the damage is infuriating. So
    now I am stuck with faulty motherboard, even though the damage wasn’t my fault.

I’m still hoping this issue can be resolved amicably without taking this further, thus posting on the forum to see if Scan Computers can resolve this problem to both our satisfaction.

Thanks

Re: RMA Issue with an MSI P35 Neo2 FR Motherboard.

Sorry to bump this thread, but would like at least an explanation at concerning the reason why MSI and yourself refused to replace the board. The mainboard wasn't damaged through negligance, but through a manufacturing fault and thus still should be covered by a warranty.

Thanks

Follow UP

I've just received the motherboard back. Firstly the box is heavily damaged, even though it left my household in perfect condition. A large label from MSI has been tied onto the motherboard stating damaged by user and two stickers affixed to the motherboard emphasizing the damage to the circuitry. No explanation on why it blew, but the boxes on the label which state if the mainboard was tested has NO information, so from this conclusion it suggest MSI haven't bothered to even test the board. Instead making an assumption that it was user negligence, which makes me furious as I've built over hundreds of systems without a fault.

Now I've got a non-working board, and my statutory rights violated. I'm furious.

Thanks

From your explanation its their (MSI) own product's fault its damaged, and they are lucky you havent got collateral damage to claim for as well.

I truly hope you get your claim processed and soemone from Scan can help you in the first instance without you having to pursue a small claim :/

Registered+
    Thanks

nemesiz

I have investigated this for you and can confirm the following from MSI.

Damaged caused by short circuit from installation, damaged by end user, warranty invalid.

Thread Information