• Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor HD 3870
      • PSU:
      • Hiper 550W
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2001FP 20.1 inch DVI

problem with new build

good evening,

I recently purchased a motherboard, processor and case from you (gigabyte P35c-Ds3r + Q6600, which has been running fine up until last night, a few days I had installed some new ram (4gb ocz gold 800mhz) and it installed it with no problems, I then checked the bios and put the memory timings listed on the sticks in manually, when I rebooted the pc, it wouldnt post and there was no output to the monitor, I have tried leaving the machine off, taking the cmos battery out to try and reset the cmos to no avail. I dont know if you have any advice, i'm not really sure what to try now.
    when I turn the machine on, the fans start up, and hard-discs/CDrom make some noise. i have noticed that my keyboard doesnt light up like it usually does when i boot up, so I think the problem is more related to the motherboard/processor than the graphics card also the led on my monitor stays amber rather than turn green.
    I hope its not dead :s

thanks

Thanks

Re: problem with new build

Try again but take out ur new ram and boot with ur old ram installed.

Its possible that the memory timings were too aggressive for the voltage hence it wont POST, but a cmos reset normally cures that as it will default to loose spd timings.

You mention taking out the cmos battery, but did you actually reset the cmos using the jumper too?

Try the above things and get back to us

Thanks
    • smurple's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte P35C-DS3R
      • CPU:
      • q6600
      • Memory:
      • 2x2gb OCZ Gold 800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 2 x maxtor 160gb (Raid 0)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor HD 3870
      • PSU:
      • Hiper 550W
      • Monitor(s):

well i put my old ram in, no joy there and I also borrowed a jumper cap from work could you explain in steps how I clear the bios, I think I did it right, but i'm not sure.
    Where I work i'm used to taking the jumper cap 'off' (Dells) to clear the cmos.

what i've done so far is
    attempted boot after removing battery for 10mins (didnt work)
    attempted boot with jumper on (no power at all)
    attempted boot after having jumper on and taking battery on and then put back (didnt work)
    I also tried changing the slots that the ram is in in the hope that it might try autodetecting
    I think when I get home I'll connect the mobo up to the pc speaker to see if I get any beeps

I am slightly concerned though because I have a raid 0 array, and if I have to rma the motherboard I will likely lose the data on it (alot of it is backed up, but I have newer stuff that I hadnt gotten round to yet)

thank you for your help

Thanks
    • smurple's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte P35C-DS3R
      • CPU:
      • q6600
      • Memory:
      • 2x2gb OCZ Gold 800mhz
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor HD 3870
      • PSU:
      • Hiper 550W
      • Monitor(s):

oh and it probably doesnt help much, but the timings I set were 5-5-5-18 (as stated on the side of the stick) as it auto detected 6-6-6-18 and I have the latest bios revision.
    tonight I am going to try a spare graphics card in the machine, just to rule that out. oh and does anyone know if a Pentium D 820 will work in this motherboard (I want to check its not the processor, as the heatsink seems to be fairly hot) although its always idled at about 44degrees so I dont think that is the problem.

bah, its frustrating!!
    poor pc

Thanks
    • smurple's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte P35C-DS3R
      • CPU:
      • q6600
      • Memory:
      • 2x2gb OCZ Gold 800mhz
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor HD 3870
      • PSU:
      • Hiper 550W
      • Monitor(s):

ok update, its definately not the ram, processor or graphics card, so it must be something to do with the motherboard.
    when i turn it on (now i have connected the pc speaker, I get one medium length beep according to the manual this means a succesful boot.I have tried the card in another PC and i have also tried a P4 D 820 in this machine, that has the same problem.

anything else I could try before I call to send back the board?

Thanks

Good things you have tried so far.
    Did you try the 820D & old vga together? And with the new ram or old?

FYI to clear the cmos usually turn off the power and PSU/unplug it, then change the cmos jumper cap position (if supplied) and then seconds later replace to normal boot position. Or touch the clear cmos jumpers with small electrical screwdriver (if no cap supplied).
    DO NOT try to boot with a jumper cap in 'clear cmos' position as some boards can be damaged in this way.

The only other thing I can think of is trying one stick of ram at a time (working old to new) in one slot at a time first with the old cpu & vga then with the new.

Also try reseating the mobo? possibly you have a short, and check the 4/8 pin cpu power cable is attached securely as if that is not on properly it gives symptoms as here.

Thanks

Removing the battery clears the cmos - it has the same effect as using he CMOS jumper. Aslong as you have discharged the motherboard (unplug the PC and keep the power button pressed for a couple of seconds) removing the battery will have reset the CMOS to default values. This is also known as a FULL CMOS reset wherein it also clears the time/date not just the settings.

If however you have powered the board up with the jumper set to clear then you could well have damaged the board.

To take everything out of the equation.

1. Strip your PC down and remove the battery form the motherboard.
    2. Place the motherboard on a non-conductive surface (the top of the motherboard box is great for this).
    3. Plug in your PSU - both the 24pin and 4/8 pin ATX.
    4. Plug in the ATX speaker and insert the battery again.

Power on

You should get a long solid Beeeeeeeeeeeep. This is normal, it is telling you No CPU is detected.

5. Power off/discharge power.
    6. insert the CPU + heatsink assembly.
    7. Now add the memory - just one known good stick into the slot closest to the CPU.
    8. Add the GPU (ensure it has power cable attached).

It should now boot up and give a single 'beep'. If not make a note of the beep code and report back.

Thread Information