Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NorthQ Siberian Tiger Liquid Cooling

Thanks

Question NorthQ Siberian Tiger Liquid Cooling

Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK

Just seen the above on the site. It looks interesting and I have space for one so may get one when it is back in stock.

It states that you use this in some of your 3XS systems. What 3XS sytems use this kit?

Also have you tried it on a quad core or can you provide any feedback on what temps it gives on any Intel dual / quad core cpus?

Thanks.
    Last edited by nickp8; 27-02-2008 at 01:29 PM.
    ::NZXT Rogue Case + Scythe Kaze Maru 140mm Fans | Scythe Kaze Master Ace Fan Controller | NorthQ Siberian Tiger Liquid Cooling | Enermax Liberty 400W PSU | Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L | Intel C2Q Q9450 | 4GB Apogee GT PC2-8500 DDR2 | Gigabyte ATI Radeon 1GB HD4850 Passive | 2TB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA | Pioneer DVR-216DBK SATA | Win 7 Home Premium | HP w2207 LCD | 1TB QNAP TS-119 Turbo NAS |
    ::Acer Aspire One Netbook + Carbon Fibre Skin | Intel Atom 1.6GHz | 1.5GB RAM | 8GB SSD | 16GB Class6 SDHC | Windows XP SP3 | 3 Mobile Broadband | 9 Cell Battery |
    ::HP Touchpad White | 1.5GHz | 64GB | webOS 3.2 |CyanogenMod 9 Android ICS |
    ::Shuttle SZ77R5 | Intel Core i5 3470s | 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz | Samsung 256GB 830 Series SSD | 2TB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA | Pioneer DVR-216DBK SATA | Win 8 Pro |

Thanks

Re: NorthQ Siberian Tiger Liquid Cooling

Ttt^
    ::NZXT Rogue Case + Scythe Kaze Maru 140mm Fans | Scythe Kaze Master Ace Fan Controller | NorthQ Siberian Tiger Liquid Cooling | Enermax Liberty 400W PSU | Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L | Intel C2Q Q9450 | 4GB Apogee GT PC2-8500 DDR2 | Gigabyte ATI Radeon 1GB HD4850 Passive | 2TB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA | Pioneer DVR-216DBK SATA | Win 7 Home Premium | HP w2207 LCD | 1TB QNAP TS-119 Turbo NAS |
    ::Acer Aspire One Netbook + Carbon Fibre Skin | Intel Atom 1.6GHz | 1.5GB RAM | 8GB SSD | 16GB Class6 SDHC | Windows XP SP3 | 3 Mobile Broadband | 9 Cell Battery |
    ::Shuttle SZ77R5 | Intel Core i5 3470s | 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz | Samsung 256GB 830 Series SSD | 2TB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA | Pioneer DVR-216DBK SATA | Win 8 Pro |

Registered+
    Thanks

No-one appears to have reviewed this but what I can say is that I would doubt it to be much better than high-end air-cooling.

At the sharp-end, this has a 120mm radiator - the same amount of surface area as the bigger heatpipe-based air-coolers and ultimately it is surface area that wins here. Water-cooling cooled better than standard heatsinks because the surface area of the actual cooling mechanism was massively better allowing big slow quiet fans. Water-cooling is really only beneficial when attempting to achieve either near-silence or to cool multiple components.

This NorthQ system cannot be extended to cool the graphics or chipset and so can only be compared with other cpu-only cooling solutions. As such, for half the price of that Siberian Tiger thingie you can get the Thermalright Ultima120 or the Noctua NHU12P or the Scythe Ninja Plus all of which take 120mm fans just like the NorthQ. The heatsinks are cheaper and easier to fit and less risky.

I should add that both my systems at home are water-cooled - one with a Swiftech kit and the other completely custom. Proper water-cooling is great but crappy little systems like this one give water-cooling a bad name.

Thanks

In the case I am using I cannot mount anything one cm taller in height than my Freezer 7 Pro. I also have no extra room to the right hand side for anything with a larger heatsink.

The rest of my setup is aimed at being as silent as possible and I have always used a passively cooled graphics card so I only want something simple to cool the CPU so the NorthQ is perfect for me as i dont want to watercool anything else.

I decided to give it a try and ordered the NorthQ Siberian yesterday and it came this morning. Great service SCAN.

Now I must say this I am impressed with this this cooling system so far. It is quiet. My cpu temps have much improved and below is using the cpu thermal paste that came pre applied. Sure it will drop a few more C wtih AS5.

Idle temps on the 4 cores are now 39, 39, 34, 37C
    Load temps on the 4 cores are now 50, 50, 47, 47C

Will post some pictures / more info over the weekend.
    Last edited by nickp8; 07-03-2008 at 11:45 AM.

Thanks
    • Blitzen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Intel Quad Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz : 30 Degrees Idle - 41-46 Degrees Load
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 1GB OCZ Platinum PC6400 @ 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500GB Samsung Spinpoints - RAID 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 285
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU 82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic Q22wb 22" Widescreen - 5ms
      • Internet:
      • O2 premium @ 17mb

I did look at that aswell and performance wise its about the same as a mid range air cooling unit.

Thanks

Hello

I was also looking at this - quite interested.

nickp8 what speed is your Q6600 running at with those temps? Is it running at stock speed of 2.4 or is it overclocked as the load temp seems very low indeed. :-)

I am currently using a thermalright xtreme with my Q6600 overclocked to 3.3 and get idle temps of 34-38 and load temps of 58-61

It would be interesting to see if the NorthQ could reduce them a little. Only a few degrees would help and lower the noise too.

Thanks. eon

0iD
    Thanks
    • 0iD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Leave my mother out of it!
      • CPU:
      • If I knew what it meant?
      • Memory:
      • Wah?
      • Storage:
      • Cupboards and drawers
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Slate & chalk
      • PSU:
      • meh
      • Case:
      • Suit or Brief?
      • Operating System:
      • Brain
      • Monitor(s):
      • I was 1 at skool
      • Internet:
      • 28k Dialup

I run a Tuniq Tower 120 on an E6600 @ 3.6GHz & my load temps are 41-45C
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen
    When I say go, both walk in the opposite direction for 10 paces, draw handbags, then bitch-slap each other!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eon_designs View Post
    Hello

I was also looking at this - quite interested.

nickp8 what speed is your Q6600 running at with those temps? Is it running at stock speed of 2.4 or is it overclocked as the load temp seems very low indeed. :-)

I am currently using a thermalright xtreme with my Q6600 overclocked to 3.3 and get idle temps of 34-38 and load temps of 58-61

It would be interesting to see if the NorthQ could reduce them a little. Only a few degrees would help and lower the noise too.

Thanks. eon
    The temps are with the cpu at stock speed. I have removed and re-installed the cpu cooler a few times to rotate it to try different positions without changing thermal paste. Once i decide on the final postiton and clean and apply new AS5 the final temps will be a bit better.

Thanks
    • Blitzen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 285
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU 82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • O2 premium @ 17mb

Its OK if you want to go Water-Cooling but the performance is average.

I use a Scythe Mine with a Q6600@ 3.0ghz.
    Idle: 28 degrees
    Load: 37-39 degrees

Although there is a place for water-cooling (if alot of cash is spent on it), there is still no mid-range substitute for good air cooling.

Thanks

As I said in my case I had no space for a better air cooler. I only had about a cm to spare in height, and no room on the right hand side for anything bigger.

For an all in one solution, ready to plug and play the NorthQ Siberian performs well. If its good enough for SCAN to use in a 3XS system it is good enough for me!

Thanks
    • Blitzen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 285
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU 82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • O2 premium @ 17mb

Im not saying its bad........
    It just not a water cooler that anyone should expect good performance from.

If its a space saving idea then its a good solution.

If its purely to get temperatures down then its not.

These temps you stated are quite high for a mid range air cooler....let alone a water cooling unit.

Note: You shouldve put some lights in that case

Thanks
    • worldofgraphics's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P5E-3 Delux Wifi, X38 Chipset
      • CPU:
      • QX6850
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 Cosair
      • Storage:
      • 1000GB in Raid-0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x ASUS HD3870 CrossFire
      • PSU:
      • CoolerMaster 850 Watts
      • Case:
      • nVidia Coolermaster Stacker 830 Evolution
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung SM-245
      • Internet:
      • Sky Wireless Broadband

Question Re: NorthQ Siberian Tiger Liquid Cooling

I am not impress by the outcome and performance of the system cooling, as a matter of fact i won't buy one if this is the case.
    i have been using the Cooler Master Aquagate:: Yeah! too big i know. if it ever get pass 25 degrees then i should start getting worried! on idle mode it always 11 and 13 on multi-tasking it never climb more than 21. I use the nVidia CoolerMaster Stacker 850 Evo so i had it fitted in the case. i can' see how to attach my pictures for u guys. i can email u a pic if u want.

Quote Originally Posted by nickp8 View Post
    In the case I am using I cannot mount anything one cm taller in height than my Freezer 7 Pro. I also have no extra room to the right hand side for anything with a larger heatsink. :(

The rest of my setup is aimed at being as silent as possible and I have always used a passively cooled graphics card so I only want something simple to cool the CPU so the NorthQ is perfect for me as i dont want to watercool anything else.

I decided to give it a try and ordered the NorthQ Siberian yesterday and it came this morning. Great service SCAN. :)

Now I must say this I am impressed with this this cooling system so far. It is quiet. My cpu temps have much improved and below is using the cpu thermal paste that came pre applied. Sure it will drop a few more C wtih AS5. :)

Will post some pictures / more info over the weekend.
    Last edited by worldofgraphics; 09-03-2008 at 06:36 AM. Reason: na

Thanks

Hey, worldofgraphics welcome to the forum.

I don't think you can post attachments directly to the thread/forum, but you can post links (when you've reached 5 posts), so if you put the pics on a site such as flickr, you could link to them on here.

Thanks
    • worldofgraphics's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P5E-3 Delux Wifi, X38 Chipset
      • CPU:
      • QX6850
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 Cosair
      • Storage:
      • 1000GB in Raid-0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x ASUS HD3870 CrossFire
      • PSU:
      • CoolerMaster 850 Watts
      • Case:
      • nVidia Coolermaster Stacker 830 Evolution
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung SM-245
      • Internet:
      • Sky Wireless Broadband

Thanks for that VinnyT

At least i now know what to do whenever i want to post any attachments.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyT View Post
    Hey, worldofgraphics welcome to the forum.

I don't think you can post attachments directly to the thread/forum, but you can post links (when you've reached 5 posts), so if you put the pics on a site such as flickr, you could link to them on here.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by worldofgraphics View Post
    I am not impress by the outcome and performance of the system cooling, as a matter of fact i won't buy one if this is the case.
    i have been using the Cooler Master Aquagate:: Yeah! too big i know. if it ever get pass 25 degrees then i should start getting worried! on idle mode it always 11 and 13 on multi-tasking it never climb more than 21. I use the nVidia CoolerMaster Stacker 850 Evo so i had it fitted in the case. i can' see how to attach my pictures for u guys. i can email u a pic if u want.
    Can you please tell me how in East Sussex, you are able to get your idle temps to 11C? Even water-cooling cannot get below ambient temps as it still relies on air to cool the water. To be blunt, your temperatures are wrong unless you have not told us about the radiator being outside or the phase change unit cunningly hidden inside the case.

MD
    Thanks
    • MD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-M PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 - i3570k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 256GB SSD's (Samsung and Crucial)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVidia 640
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 600W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08e MATX
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell Flat Panel
      • Internet:
      • 60mb Virgin Media

I was just about to say that - unless you have something very funky going on your mobo is reporting incorrect temps.
    Please do not message me about Scan Free shipping, I no longer work for HEXUS.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information