Thread: Icy Dock problems

Thanks

Icy Dock problems

Hi there,

I purchased an Icy Dock MB-559UEA-1S-B from you guys, and have recently bought a 500gb Seagate SATA2 drive (from Scan) to compliment it.

I plugged the HDD into the icy dock, loaded windows, plugged cables in and turned power on. After a short (15 mins) period, the amber light came on and the drive seemed to start up and windows said it had found a new 'usb device'. However, the drivers for it needed to be installed - even though there are meant to be no drivers for Icy Dock. I couldnt see the hard drive in Computer Management or My computer, although the unknown USB device showed up in Device Manager.

Thinking perhaps this was a problem with the motherboard I updated all chipset drivers. This didnt seem to help so I connected the HDD in the SATA port on the motherboard. The drive was recognised and I was able to format it. Unfortunately, when I used it in the Icy Dock again the same problems as above occurred.

Is this a known problem, and if so how do i fix it? Or do i need to arrange an RMA with you guys?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers

Pete

Thanks

Re: Icy Dock problems (Invoice E1037892)

Have you tried leaving the dock connected to the usb port, powered and rebooting? This somehow enabled my pc to suddenly recognize my mp3 player ( after weeks of havind to use a secound pc for aranging my music and podcasts).

If that doesn't work, this may, if youare using Vista;

I can't take credit for this, in PCPlus's 272 helpdesk a reader asked "why Vista can't recognize new usb devices any more?" This sounds similar to your problem so I'll tell how they responed.

This is a known issue with Vista and is noted in MS's Knowledg base under article No. 940199.

Vista relies on info contained in a file called 'infcache.1' to list it with a list of drivers and their locations in C:\windows\system32\drivers. This file can be overwritten, corupted or even deleted by installer software. When this happen, Vista is sometimes unable to repair or recreate the file and so loses the ability to install new drivers for attached devices.

The solution is to find and download the published hotfix. Incidentally, some websites recommend deleting infcach.1 as a solution to driver incompatabilty issues (usually an escape when a poorly written driver has been installed). Never manually delete system files but use the Add/Remove programs feature to remove all traces of the driver.

If this doesn't work, try useing the system restore feature to return to a point before the driver was installed.

I hope that helps, and any/all spelling imperfections were my own, not the fault of PCPlus

Thanks

Re: Icy Dock problems

Thanks for the post, unfortunately I am not using Windows Vista - I am currently using XP.

I have also tried it on my mac with the same results. I think this suggests it is a hardware problem.

Any other thoughts would be much appreciated.
    Pete

Thread Information