Hi.

I recently purchased 640GB WD SATA2 SE16 WD6400AAKS from SCAN and since buying it I have been having this really annoying freeze problem. Every 5 minutes the system freezes for 30 seconds. The time varies from 5 minutes to 20 minutes as how often it freezes but is more frequent when gaming.

The freeze seems to show as (not responding) when working with the windows os and as you click on other buttons or windows it then plays through all these clicks after the 30 second freeze.
In game the freeze just freezes the screen at the current frame for 30 seconds and 30 seconds later you are returned to normal functionality.

I have installed a fresh copy of windows vista 64 bit ultimate on the new hard drive and installed all the latest drivers and patches and I have been getting this problem. I have also unattached all other hard drives apart from the new Western Digital.

I have downloaded the diagnostic test software from Western Digital and have run the extended test and it has passed it.

The system bios is on default settings apart from the DDR2 is set to 1066Mhz.
These settings have been disabled
FIREWIRE
internal soundcard
Floppy Disabled
Mukon 2nd ethernet port

I have run memtest+ and the memory has passed the test.

When I run my system with my alternate hard drive a Samsung HD501LJ, I don't get the problem with the system hang ups

I have since done another fresh reinstall and installed only one game and the freeze started again. Any help would be much appreciated.

System:
Auss P5K Premium Wi-Fi/AP Black Pearl Edition Rev 2 00 G BIOS 0802
Q6600 G0 (stock)
NEC AD-7200S-0B X20 BLK SATA DVD-Drive
Creative Labs Soundblaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
BFG 8800 GTS 512MB OC Graphics Card
Reclusa & Deathadder

The latest drivers installed are for
Intel Chipset Driver Version: 9.0.0.1008
Nvidia Driver 180.48
SoundBlaster Driver 2_18_0004
Realtek ethernet Driver 6213