Thread: Random resets and failed Memtest86 help.

Vod
    Registered+
    Thanks

Random resets and failed Memtest86 help.

Hi all, just looking for a bit of help and advice on this one.

Last Autumn I ugraded to a 2.8Ghz, 800fsb with 1Gb of Corsair twinXMS 3200, a Gigabyte 8KNXP mobo powered by an Enermax psu.

However I started suffering random resets especially if running a memory intensive app (well game!). I rang Scan, got advice, tried it all out to no avail, I couldn't run memtest86 at the time due to not bothering to chuck a fdd in the machine. So I tried the machine with just just one stick in and all appeared to work fine - regardless of stick or slot used. Figured I'd sort it out as soon as i got chance, besides it's got a warranty for a reason.

After I got Chrimbo out the way, ie had time to sleep/eat/breathe again, I finally got time to chuck in the other 512Mb and do a little testing (of course Memtest would release the iso after I found an old fdd to throw in! ).

Ran it earlier tonight and within the space of 15 mins or so I get 8,000+ fails.

can post the exact info if req'd but basically failed in tests 1,3,4,5,6 .... stoped it after that and decided to post here. Fails usually occured around 840Mb and a few at 1004Mb.

Any advice at all?

fyi, system is not overclocked in any way including CAS and I've already
    checked the Gigabyte site before figuring a BIOS update might do the trick, flashed it to F9 which I believe includes the F5 Cosair TwinXMS fix.

Hoping that I can get this sorted if not i'll just have to RMA it and maybe try and get it switched for 2Gb of major?

Cheers for any help/suggestions
    Last edited by wesleyaldred; 15-03-2004 at 12:50 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    The best suggestion from our Techies with that amount of failures is to swap it.

I'm not sure of your exact purchase date, but, i presume as you say last autumn it is more than 28 days old as such the replacement would only be on a like for like basis.

Wesley

Vod
    Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wesleyaldred
    The best suggestion from our Techies with that amount of failures is to swap it.

I'm not sure of your exact purchase date, but, i presume as you say last autumn it is more than 28 days old as such the replacement would only be on a like for like basis.

Wesley

Yes it is older than 28 days, would just like the assurance that it would work as many, many people are having problems with this combo http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/sh...3&page=1&pp=15

however having thought I'd tested both separately before I rechecked them to find that it is only one dimm that causes a fault!

Whoops!! may as well await my call.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Please give our Returns Dept a call on 0870 755 4747 and we will get it sorted for you.

Wesley

Thread Information