Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: ScanSure Installation Insurance - Very Impressive

Thanks

Re: ScanSure Installation Insurance - Very Impressive

Not a bad idea.
    It is a good idea becuase it protects customer's from making mistakes, quite a customer's have issues when installing products particularly bent pins, which for a small charge scansure protects them against.

I'm sure everyone has though " it won't happen to me ", but for the small charge why not give yourseld the peace of mind, knowing you have this protection.

Last edited by Chris P; 17-04-2009 at 03:54 PM.

Thanks

There is definite merit to this one. Believe me, I have customers who could catastrophically mess up installing a mouse mat...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CP View Post
    It is a good idea becuase it protects customer's from making mistakes, quite a customer's have issues when installing products particularly bent pins, which for a small charge scansure protects them against.

I'm sure everyone has though " it won't happen to me ", but for the small charge why not give yourseld the peace of mind, knowing you have this protection.

I have to ask if I am missing something since in the T&C's it states
    Like all policies, there are some things this insurance does not cover. Importantly
    these include: inappropriate use, theft, loss, breakdown, any claim arising from
    abuse, neglect or malicious damage
    , wear and tear or any other costs that are
    caused by the incident.

In the exclusions at the end of the PDF it also states
    1. Any claim arising from abuse, neglect or malicious damage.
    2. The VAT element of any claim if You are registered for VAT.
    3. Any breakdown or internal cause whatsoever or damage that occurs
    during the delivery of Your Computer Component.
    4. Any action which invalidates the manufacturer’s warranty.
    Surely bent pins on the CPU (or any other component come to that) would indicate (point1) neglect whilst fitting, so would not be covered by this policy and even if that exclusion were not applied the bending the pins on a CPU (or any other component) would contravene point 4 as it would certainly invalidate the manufacturers warranty thereby voiding this insurance policy, or am I misunderstanding something somewhere along the line?
    Last edited by Rebel; 20-04-2009 at 12:38 AM. Reason: typo

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    I have to ask if I am missing something
    Best thread to discuss it in. It's really hard to find a valid example but Scan have said that they'd provide valid examples on Monday, so let's wait and see.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    I have to ask if I am missing something since in the T&C's it states

In the exclusions at the end of the PDF it also states

Surely bent pins on the CPU (or any other component come to that) would indicate (point1) neglect whilst fitting, so would not be covered by this policy and even if that exclusion were not applied the bending the pins on a CPU (or any other component) would contravene point 4 as it would certainly invalidate the manufacturers warranty thereby voiding this insurance policy, or am I misunderstanding something somewhere along the line?
    This has all indeed been answered:

http://forums.hexus.net/hexus-channe...surance-7.html

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wesleyaldred View Post
    Thanks for the reply, I had a look at the other thread and I guess its true to say that it tells me all I need to know.
    Regards

Thanks

Re: ScanSure Installation Insurance - Very Impressive?

The implementation of your feature can be improved.

Instead of having Scansure enabled by default, NEITHER of the radio buttons should be selected.

Then the customer can make up their own mind what they want. Don't let the form continue till they have decided.

It is simple, basic HTML.

Keep it as it is and Scan runs the risk of becoming another Ryanair, with their infamous "Opt Out" clauses.

It's a slippery slope, Scan.
    Last edited by wesleyaldred; 23-04-2009 at 12:36 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Greenback

I have forwarded your feedback to senior management for consideration as having neither opt in nor opt out has not been suggested before and does seem sensible, like you say that way everyone is forced to decide one way or the other before being allowed to continue.

Also i have removed your comments over the air transort sector, as they are not relevent here

Wesley
    Last edited by wesleyaldred; 23-04-2009 at 12:38 PM.

Thanks

Senior Management has confirmed Scansure will continue as an Opt out option, it is prominently advertised and easy to Opt out.

If a customer chooses to opt out, then their choice should be remembered when placing their next order, so a customer does not have to Opt out every time they order or on the other hand they can opt back in if they wish to take Scansure insurance.

In addition the Scansure policy will stay is per basket policy basis with no options created to select individual components to be insured.

Regards
    Last edited by Chris P; 24-04-2009 at 04:10 PM.

Thanks

Hi,

I have just made an order with Scan and noticed that I was opted in to the Scansure Insurance. This prompted me to check the Forums and I found myself here. I noticed a post from Scan that intimated that the opt out was prominently displayed - well, I beg to differ - it bloomin' well isn't.

Now I have spent thousands of pounds with Scan and made many orders - I have got to the point that when I need something urgently, I just whizz through the order system to get it done as I thought I could trust Scan not to try and scam me with extra stuff I don't need.

I am very, very disappointed with this Opt Out system - I expect it from some dodgy back street vendor, but not from Scan. It may be a good product (but as with any insurance, the proof is in the claims process, which I have not seen any comment about), but they should not sell it in this way. I had the misfortune of working in the Insurance/Assurance business (albeit running IT teams) for 12 years and I know how this tactic works.

Rant Over - I am very angry!

Regards
    Jedra

Thanks

Am I the only one who thinks that this is incredibly low? This policy is not the sort of behaviour I expect from an etailer who claims to be customer focussed. Heres what Scan are doing:

1) You purchase an item on Scan, not realising you have been automatically charged for ScanSure.
    2) 30 seconds after purchase, you realise the error and phone Scan. As in the other thread, they tell you that there are no refunds on ScanSure insurance.
    3) You have been screwed out of money and never shop at Scan again.

This is outright disgusting and nothing more than a thinly veiled policy at maximising profits at the expense of the customer. Don't expect to win any more of those awards you keep touting, as these boards will rapidly fill with complaints regarding this policy. I mean come on, I (was) a loyal Scan customer, but why shop here when you get service like this....

EDIT: Please note that my information regarding refunds was incorrect. You can obtain a refund on ScanSure before your item ships. Please see below for ChrisP's comments.
    Last edited by Ph4ZeD; 05-05-2009 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Clarified information

Thanks

Ph4ZeD

Thank you for your comments, and for letting us know your views on our new Scansure damage cover. Most of the improvements we've made to our over the years have been based on our customers’ constructive feedback, so your opinion on this service is really important to us.

The whole idea behind this cover is to make it very cheap. It's designed to encourage people to build their own PCs, and has the additional benefit to us of simplifying the RMA process. Our research revealed that over 70 percent of RMAs happen within the first 28 days. It's hoped, that by taking the fear out of building a PC this will in turn boost the component market. This is a brand new product, that hasn't been seen anywhere else in the IT industry.

To return to your comments regarding Scansure. It’s a shame that you feel so aggreived by this service. We had hoped that it would aid, if not all, but some of our customers with their confidence and builds. Whilst we agree that the cover is added by default when initially checking out a basket of components. It is very easy to opt out by proceeding to the next page, and at ‘Step 1’ choosing to remove the additional fee from the order. This is before the website asks you for any delivery address or date and, more crucially, for any payment details. It really is hard to miss this section and we’ve made sure that this was clearly visible. You will only be asked once if you would like to insure the goods or would prefer not to, your account should save your choice by default for the next time you order.

As we have mentioned previously Scansure is a non-refundable policy once an order has shipped, however is so if the order has not yet shipped.

Chris

Thanks

ChrisP

Thanks for your rapid response to my comments. I don't have any problem at all with Scan offering insurance like this, its a perfectly good idea and your definitely right in that the cost is very low. You've somewhat reassured me regarding the refund - I was under the impression that it was non-refundable full stop - and it seems reasonable that a customer would be able to notify Scan and obtain a refund before the order shipped.

Now the opt-out idea still leaves me a little uneasy, but I gave it a little test this morning and your right; it is very clear what your getting before the order is placed. Sorry for the hostile nature of my post.

Thanks

Ph4ZeD

I respect your honesty , and your apology

Chris

Thanks

ChrisP

I have spoken to a friend of mine who works for the Financial Services Authority. He confirmed the following:

1) Selling opt-out insurance is not technically illegal but against good practice and if anyone were to complain to the FSA, Scan wouldn't have a leg to stand on and an example would be made of you
    2) When you sell insurance, you legally have to give a 14-day cooling off period in which the customer can obtain a refund on the insurance. You are NOT doing this and so you are breaking the law
    3) When selling insurance, you have to clearly state the exclusions that are not covered by the insurance. I just went through your checkout and nowhere were exclusions stated. This again is breaking the law.

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Quote Originally Posted by Ph4ZeD View Post
    1) Selling opt-out insurance is not technically illegal but against good practice and if anyone were to complain to the FSA, Scan wouldn't have a leg to stand on and an example would be made of you
    Interesting.

2) When you sell insurance, you legally have to give a 14-day cooling off period in which the customer can obtain a refund on the insurance. You are NOT doing this and so you are breaking the law
    I'm not an expert, but in the other long thread about ScanSure, Saracen says that there is an exception on this rule for short term insurance, where it wouldn't be practical to offer a cooling off period. If you think about it in this case, someone buys the insurance, installed everything fine within the 14day period then cancels the insurance as part of the cooling off period. It isn't workable and it (apparently) taken into account in the legislation.

3) When selling insurance, you have to clearly state the exclusions that are not covered by the insurance. I just went through your checkout and nowhere were exclusions stated. This again is breaking the law.
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Scansure/Index.aspx
    Link is at the bottom of the right hand bar, and is included on every product that is eligable for ScanSure.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information