Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Item Damaged In Transit - Scan Dont Want To Know!

Registered+
    Thanks

Item Damaged In Transit - Scan Dont Want To Know!

Not too long ago I purchased some PC components for a new PC build from Scan.

But once I had finished assembling the PC I encountered a problem, I switched it on and the Power Supply went bang and had some smoke coming out the back of it, I immediately unplugged it and checked everything (Components, Connections etc) it all looked fine.

I then tested all the components in one of my other machines and nothing worked (Power Supply, Motherboard, CPU and Graphics Card).

I contacted Scan about this and returned the items, which they refunded except for the CPU and Motherboard, they apparently found the CPU to be working, and that the Motherboard apparently had a bent CPU pin.

I was not happy with this but I went along with it and had the items sent back to me.

I received the Motherboard and CPU back a few days later, but the Motherboard has a HUGE CRACK in it and the components basically destroyed, and the CPU DOESNT WORK as I said before.

I contacted Scan the same day, saying that the Motherboard was damaged and that the CPU doesn’t work and they asked for more details on the damage to the Motherboard, which I provided.

I then got a reply back saying that I had not signed for the goods as damaged when it was delivered so there is nothing they can do.

First off the delivery guy was in a rush (as they all are) he said "Sign Here" and went, before I could even get a look at the parcel, it was still at his feet.

When I took the parcel indoors, it looked like it had been roughed up abit, but didn’t look too bad, but you cannot know if the items inside are damaged or not without opening it first, that is when I noticed the damage to the Motherboard.

I then contacted Scan with this information and got the same reply, sorry there is nothing we can do.

They also said that as the Motherboard was already damaged (Bent CPU pin) that even if I did sign for it as damaged they would not take it back, now that is just outrageous! as I could of either sent it back to EVGA for a replacement or atleast repaired the bent CPU pin, but now I cannot do any of that.

That is where I am at the moment

Please post your opinions on this matter, and what you would do about it if you were in my situation.

Rob

Thanks
    • DeludedGuy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte H87M-HD3
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 4440
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Samsung 840 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte R9 270 OC 2GB
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Pure Power L8 600w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell U2414H
      • Internet:
      • 75Mb BT Infinity

Re: Item Damaged In Transit - Scan Dont Want To Know!

If all you are saying is true, it seems unfair, its unfeasible to ask a delivery man to stand and wait at your doorstep while you open up every box, check the parts arent broken in half, build your system and power it up just to see if its working before you have to sign for it - just in case something is damaged.

Its not like you would have noticed a bent pin on the CPU anyway.

Its silly.

Registered+
    Thanks

Thats exactly my point, hes got other parcels to deliver and the only words he uttered was "Sign Here" and he was off.

I have just recieved a POD Photo of my signature from Scan, and in the signature box there is small print that says "Recieved 1PKGS in Good Order and Condition on 19/06/09" and if you sign for it you confirm that it arrived in Good Order and Condition, but that is of the parcel not its contents.

As I said in my main post the parcel looked roughed up abit, but didnt look too bad, and that was after I had signed for it and the delivery guy had taken off, as I didnt see the parcel it was still at his feet.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by DeludedGuy View Post
    If all you are saying is true, it seems unfair, its unfeasible to ask a delivery man to stand and wait at your doorstep while you open up every box, check the parts arent broken in half, build your system and power it up just to see if its working before you have to sign for it - just in case something is damaged.
    It's not unfeasible - it's expected that you at least visually check items for damage before signing for them.

At the very least sign as 'unchecked', but most places don't accept this these days.

Its not like you would have noticed a bent pin on the CPU anyway.
    There seem to have been a few bent pins on CPUs/sockets recently - something to check for before building a system certainly. I've also got in the habit of photographing components as well, now that film is free

Thanks
    • Blitzen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Intel Quad Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz : 30 Degrees Idle - 41-46 Degrees Load
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 1GB OCZ Platinum PC6400 @ 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500GB Samsung Spinpoints - RAID 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 285
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU 82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic Q22wb 22" Widescreen - 5ms
      • Internet:
      • O2 premium @ 17mb

Contact your credit card company and ask them to act on your behalf.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stinga View Post

I contacted Scan the same day, saying that the Motherboard was damaged and that the CPU doesn’t work and they asked for more details on the damage to the Motherboard, which I provided.

I then got a reply back saying that I had not signed for the goods as damaged when it was delivered so there is nothing they can do.

First off the delivery guy was in a rush (as they all are) he said "Sign Here" and went, before I could even get a look at the parcel, it was still at his feet.

When I took the parcel indoors, it looked like it had been roughed up abit, but didn’t look too bad, but you cannot know if the items inside are damaged or not without opening it first, that is when I noticed the damage to the Motherboard.

Please post your opinions on this matter, and what you would do about it if you were in my situation.
    Well, it strikes me that one problem you have is right there.

IMHO, the way to deal with couriers is don't sign until you're happy goods aren't damaged, because it causes problems and arguments afterwards if you sign and then find damage. And "not checked" usually won't cut any ice either.

The courier needs a signature, so I won't sign until I'm happy with the state for the goods. Drivers don't much like this because, as you say, they're always in a rush. But hey, it's my money that's paying for the delivery and therefore their wages. And it's my loss if I don't cover myself. I know they want to get on, but tough. I always check the goods out, and them giving me time to do it is, whether they like it or not, part of the job.

And look at it from Scan's perspective - if goods are damaged in transit, they have a contract which determines when and if they can claim for damage in transit. Scan's Terms and Consitions, which we all agree to when we buy, say :-

• You should note that our carrier requires immediate notice to be given of any loss or damage to goods and you should inspect the goods upon receipt and report any loss or damage to the carrier immediately.

• Insofar as you report any damage to goods to us within 48 hours of delivery we will refund the price and carriage or replace the goods at no cost to you.

• In respect of any damage to goods reported to us after 48 hours of delivery we shall require proof from you that the goods were damaged before receipt by you.
    I've added the bold.

Thing is, as that's in the contract, if you don't report damage on delivery as required, the courier are likely to to decline to accept liability to Scan. So, if they've been damaged in transit by the courier, and the courier can't be held liable because you didn't check and comply with the contract, it's hard to see why Scan should end up footing the bill for that.

I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear, and in some ways, it's hardly fair. But the moral of the story ..... read the T&Cs when you buy online, and check deliveries.

As for the original problem, my first question would be why things went "bang"? If it was a defective power supply, the Scan would be liable for any damage it caused. If you did something wrong, had the wrong thing plugged in, had something shorted or earthed, then you would be.

Not knowing you, or even which PSU it was, it's hard to even go as far as hazarding a guess about which of those is likely. Some PSUs are certainly a lot better than others, and statistically, I'd say it's certainly more likely to be user error than a faulty PSU. That may well be how Scan see it.

Having said that, I had almost exactly the same thing happen some years ago, the difference being that in my case, the machine worked for about a week before the PSU blew up and fried most of the machine .... include a top-end engineering reference graphics card I had on review.

So for me, the fact that it worked for a couple of weeks proved it wasn't a simple installation problem. The supplier (OcUK) issued an RMA, and told me their insurance covered them for such consequential loss.

So .... it now looks like you have a situation that rests on whether the product was faulty, or you did something on installation and, from the outside, the latter looks more likely though the former is certainly possible. And it looks to me like you have three options :-

1) Negotiate with Scan. See if a mutually satisfactory compromise can be reached? If it is, then that's that. But if not :-

2) Write it off.

3) Small Claims Court.

Registered+
    Thanks

Well, do I relly have to qoute Scan Terms & Conditions.... (Which can be found at: http://www.scan.co.uk/Terms.aspx)

"Insofar as you report any damage to goods to us within 48 hours of delivery we will refund the price and carriage or replace the goods at no cost to you."

Well they havent abided by that.....

Thanks
    • DeludedGuy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte H87M-HD3
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 4440
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Samsung 840 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte R9 270 OC 2GB
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Pure Power L8 600w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell U2414H
      • Internet:
      • 75Mb BT Infinity

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    There seem to have been a few bent pins on CPUs/sockets recently - something to check for before building a system certainly. I've also got in the habit of photographing components as well, now that film is free
    You would only notice when you're building your system, not when it delivered to your doorstep, most delivery men dont have 5 minutes to spare waiting around.

I bought a case from eBuyer a couple of months ago, I wasnt at home, my 16 year old brother signed for it, I got home and the box looked fine, I opened it up and the front plastic panel was loose, turns out the pins which hold the front plastic panel to the steel body had snapped off during transit, eBuyer promptly collected and replaced my case without any hassle.

Its not rocket science.

I've had a cheapo Casecom PSU blow up on me before and damaged the Motherboard and CPU, it does happen.

Stinga, what make was your PSU?
    Last edited by DeludedGuy; 23-06-2009 at 11:55 AM.

Registered+
    Thanks

It was definitely a faulty component most likely the Power Supply; I’ve been building PCs as a hobby and for friends and family for over 8 years now, and have never had a problem like this before.

It was a Corsair TX850W Power Supply supprisingly, I have a Corsaid HX1000W in one of my other machines and thats been perfect.

But as I said before Scan have refunded that and the rest of the items, its just the Motherboard that I recieved back has been damaged in transit and Scan are not bothered...
    Last edited by Stinga; 23-06-2009 at 12:01 PM.

Thanks
    • atmadden's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P35 Neo2 FR
      • CPU:
      • QX9650@4.2ghz 420x10
      • Memory:
      • Crucial Ballisitix PC5300 C3@840 4 4 4 12
      • Storage:
      • Maxtor 250gb SATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 8800GTS OC 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620

Things like this are definitely not on the side of the consumer as to realisticly check a motherboard for bent pins whilst driver is at the door isn't going to happen in practice and Scan and city link know this. It seems to me as a way of covering themselves if they damage a product whether accidently or on purpose. There is another bent pin motherboard query on here as well and how doe we know an employee hasn't done this? If they have they can just plead ignorance and the consumer suffers. Again I am getting more and more tempted to abandon scan altogether. I find Dabs and Ebuyer RMA process much fairer and hassle free overall. This scansure insurance is a good idea but if you don't take it are you now more likely to run into problems in these cases? Scan are great on price and this forum is also good but cases like this are worrying.
    Core i7 860 @ 4ghz
    MSI P55 GD65 4gb Gskill Ripjaw 2xAsus 5770 1003/5600 Corsair HX620 psu http://trust.hexus.net/user_profile.php?user=10950

Thanks
    • divinemadness's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EP45-UD3L
      • CPU:
      • Q9550 @3.4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair DDR2 PC2-6400
      • Storage:
      • 640GB WD Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 896MB XFX GTX260 55nm
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX650
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster CM690
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032mw
      • Internet:
      • O2 8Mb

Quote Originally Posted by atmadden View Post
    Scan are great on price and this forum is also good but cases like this are worrying.
    I think the only major difference is that because of a forum like this, you actually get to hear about these issues at all. Other companies tend to be private and so you only tend to hear of stuff by chance on random computer based discussion forums, rather than a collection of issues being grouped together.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stinga View Post
    Well, do I relly have to qoute Scan Terms & Conditions.... (Which can be found at: http://www.scan.co.uk/Terms.aspx)

"Insofar as you report any damage to goods to us within 48 hours of delivery we will refund the price and carriage or replace the goods at no cost to you."

Well they havent abided by that.....

Stinga,

You need to adhere to all of the points within the Terms & Conditions and not just the ones you think may be more favorable to yourself:

To enable a claim to be made you need to adhere to ALL of the following points:

You should note that our carrier requires immediate notice to be given of any loss or damage to goods and you should inspect the goods upon receipt and report any loss or damage to the carrier immediately.

Insofar as you report any damage to goods to us within 48 hours of delivery we will refund the price and carriage or replace the goods at no cost to you.

In respect of any damage to goods reported to us after 48 hours of delivery we shall require proof from you that the goods were damaged before receipt by you.

Wesley

Thanks
    • Georgy291's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ga-p55-ud3
      • CPU:
      • intel i5 750 @4.2
      • Memory:
      • 4gig DDR3 1600mhz 8.8.8
      • Storage:
      • 1tb samsung F3 + 200gig WD caviar black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6850 XF
      • PSU:
      • antec 750w something or other
      • Case:
      • antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" acer @1080p
      • Internet:
      • 24mb BE @ 22mb

where is scans reply to any of this here?

i think its a joke from scan, what they are asking customers to do. I dont think its fair to ask the customer to check the box right away. Or to get them to sighn the fact it arived in one piece, since its imposible to find out before the system is working underload.

back in the old days i bought a Radeon 9800 pro, came looked fine, system loaded fine, only started to crash when it was under load....eg playing a game

I was thinking off buying a upgrade to my setup from scan...thought a brand new shiny phenom would be good in here, now knowing how scan deals with problems i think i might just pay extra £10r or so from ebay / ebuyer
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduckUK View Post
    now that i think about the word "throttled" in a certain light... its not so far different to strangled really

our boiler broke so we has no heating or hot water, this is the bloody result ^^

Registered+
    Thanks

It would be nice for a Scan Employee to comment on this matter, Whether it be to prove that Scans Customer Service is awful, or to actually amend this matter how it should be amended.

As for this "Scan 3XS - Specification - Service - Satisfaction" (Which is actually at the top of this forum) thats just a joke as the Service is awful and I'm far from Satisfied!

I contacted you on the same day that I recieved the items so those terms and conditions you quoted are all infavour of me and not Scan so I'm not sure what your point is....

I inspected them upon reciept, and Immediately contacted you about the damage.

No where in your Terms & Conditions does it say that you should inspect the items at the doorstep untill you are satisfied, keeping the delivery guy waiting .......

Thanks
    • divinemadness's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EP45-UD3L
      • CPU:
      • Q9550 @3.4GHz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 640GB WD Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 896MB XFX GTX260 55nm
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX650
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster CM690
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032mw
      • Internet:
      • O2 8Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Georgy291 View Post
    where is scans reply to any of this here?

i think its a joke from scan, what they are asking customers to do. I dont think its fair to ask the customer to check the box right away. Or to get them to sighn the fact it arived in one piece, since its imposible to find out before the system is working underload.

back in the old days i bought a Radeon 9800 pro, came looked fine, system loaded fine, only started to crash when it was under load....eg playing a game

I was thinking off buying a upgrade to my setup from scan...thought a brand new shiny phenom would be good in here, now knowing how scan deals with problems i think i might just pay extra £10r or so from ebay / ebuyer
    I think you're getting confused, the 48h thing is only for blatant physical damage resulting from transport, not just dead or unstable components due to manufacturing defects and so on. They'd still take your Radeon under RMA for example if it was genuinely broken, such as defective memory, as they can then claim for that from ATi I think. However, claims for physical damage they require to be much sooner so that not only can they claim from the courier's insurance appropriately but also to stop people breaking something like connector a week later and claiming it came like that.

It's perfectly possible and acceptable to check that your items arrived in an acceptable fashion within 48 hours and report to them if you find anything broken.

Thanks
    • divinemadness's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EP45-UD3L
      • CPU:
      • Q9550 @3.4GHz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 640GB WD Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 896MB XFX GTX260 55nm
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX650
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster CM690
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032mw
      • Internet:
      • O2 8Mb

Question for Stinga - what is the CPU and how have you concluded it doesn't work? Just out of interest really, as I saw a lot of people mistaking CPUs as dead when the Core 2 45nm chips appeared but older BIOSs didn't support them. Just wondering if you tested in an older board that may not support the latest generation of CPUs with its BIOS, as obviously if the motherboard came back broken you can't be using that!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information