• 450 GB Total
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 640MB Asus GeForce 8800 GTS
      • Case:
      • Gigabyte 3D Aurora, GZ-FSCA1-AT, Black Aluminum Tower Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3
      • Monitor(s):
      • 20" Samsung SM206BW Black Widescreen LCD, 1680x1050, 3000:1, 300cd/m2, 2ms
      • Internet:
      • ~4Mbps

Problem with a 620W Coolermaster Real Power M620 Modular

Hi,

I need some help!

I bought a new power supply last week because my current (600w Coolermaster iGreen) 2-3 yr old one is failing - odd throbbing noises and sounds of a rattling fan. No problems yet, but I imagine it's only a matter of time.

Anyway, Coolermaster seemed good so I got hold of a 620W Coolermaster Real Power M620 Modular PSU from Scan.

This is what happened next:

First thing I noticed was the EU Type label on the side of the box had been highlighted. Ok, I thought I've had European stuff work in the UK before with an adaptor (a laptop, a stereo). So I install the PSU, and leaving the EU 2-pin type main cord to one side, I use the UK 3-pin mains cord I used with my old PSU. Power on, and... well, the case power light came on, case fans (+ fan lights) span up, then just when you expect the BIOS beep the whole thing shut off! Almost immediately, it powered itself up again, looked like it was getting some where, only to have the BIOS blurt a mass of beeps at me. Something was obviously wrong, and I had to hold the power button to shut the thing off...

Fearing the worst (i.e. mobo trashed, etc), I removed the lovely modular cables and crammed the old psu and its snake nest of cables back into the case. Thankfully, the computer is still in one piece - I'm typing on it now.

Now, what I need to know before I take this new PSU back to scan is, should they have sold me an EU type PSU for use in the UK? Would it/should it work? Or, perhaps, could there be some incompatibility with current setup - motherboard, perhaps?

My specs should be in my profile, but here it is again:

Intel® Core™2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16GHz
    2GB Corsair TwinX XMS2, DDR2 @ 667MHz
    640MB Asus GeForce 8800 GTS
    20" Samsung SM206BW Black Widescreen LCD, 1680x1050, 3000:1, 300cd/m2, 2ms
    Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 7.1 Audio PCI-E
    Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3
    Asus P5B-E Plus, Socket 775, P965, Motherboard, BIOS ver. 0636
    Gigabyte 3D Aurora, GZ-FSCA1-AT, Black Aluminum Tower Case

I'm due to be taking this PSU back to Scan tomorrow, so if anyone can manage a reply /advice before then, that would be great. I really don't know what the problem could be, other than the PSU being EU type - but google hasn't really been very helpful providing any info on this - or me doing something wrong during installation. I'm no hardware expert, but it really isn't that to plug cables into components until you've run out of components to plug into, and it's impossible to plug these things in backwards or whatever... So if it's not me what is it?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide! And, sorry for the wall of text - I tend to babble...

-Xepha

Actuary & Gamer
    Thanks
    • Champman99's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aus P8P67 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel SB Core i5 2500K @ 4.4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Samsung F1 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD/ATI Radeon 7970 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster RealPower 1000W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T Graphite (White Edition)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3 x Dell U2412M (Eyefinity)
      • Internet:
      • Sky Broadband Unlimited (No FUP!)

Re: Problem with a 620W Coolermaster Real Power M620 Modular

The EU thing really shouldnt matter at all, literally that thing you saw highlighted will just be saying its the version bundled with the EU kettle lead. Modern PSU's take any voltage 100-240V, so even an American PSU you could use just with a UK kettle lead - So I dont think that is the issue.

Could your old PSU dying have damaged your old kettle lead? Maybe try the shiny new kettle lead with an EU adaptor (if you have one available) or try a different power lead.

It could just be a faulty unit of course, it does happen. It could also be that your old dodgy PSU damaged the internals of your PC and the new PSU is not to blame at all (hopefully not though!)

Whether or not retailers should ship EU stuff without mentioning it is a different matter. Ive had it happen quite alot before, usually at least they are kind enough to ship a continental adaptor, and all UK/European devices have to conform to the 220-240V range AFAIK so as long as you can plug it in, you are fine with european electronics.

Thanks
    • Xepha's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B-E Plus, Socket 775, P965, Motherboard, BIOS ver. 0636
      • CPU:
      • Intel® Core™2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Corsair TwinX XMS2, DDR2 @ 667MHz
      • Storage:
      • 450 GB Total
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • ~4Mbps

Cool, thanks for confirming that the PSU should have supposed to have worked in the UK. I really wasn't sure it was the same for computers than it is for other electricals.

You know, I'm just wondering now, whether actually using the supplied 2-pin lead would have actually worked - they must be wired slightly differently? I didn't even try using it, because I panicked thinking the whole computer had gone down the pan, and wanted to get the old one back in asap - I can't live without my computer! But, the computer's been fine since I put the old PSU back in - so I don't think there's any damage anywhere.

Well, at the very least, I know the new PSU should probably have worked. Only I wasn't aware that it was going to come with an EU power lead - it isn't stated anywhere in the stock description - something I'll be asking Scan about tomorrow (I'm heading up that way, regardless).

Anyway, thanks for the informative reply, I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

-Xeph'

Thanks
    • Xepha's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B-E Plus, Socket 775, P965, Motherboard, BIOS ver. 0636
      • CPU:
      • Intel® Core™2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Corsair TwinX XMS2, DDR2 @ 667MHz
      • Storage:
      • 450 GB Total
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • ~4Mbps

It's aliiive!

Was my triumphant cry just moments ago.

So, just to update - took the PSU down to Scan, the guys at the counter seemed just as perplexed as I - as in, it should just work! Anyway, he gave me UK 3-pin power lead to try, citing also, that the EU tag just meant it came with a EU power lead, and that if that didn't work bring it back again.

So, first thing I wanted to when I got home, was check these forums for any further replies, before I got down to installing the new PSU again. Then, horrors - the PC didn't boot (with the old PSU still inside) and did the same thing it did with the new PSU (booting/beeping).

So I check out the beep codes on my laptop. 1 long and 3 short beeps on an American Megatrends BIOS turns out to be memory problems (bad or unseated RAM). So, I pull everything out, reseat the RAM, install the new PSU, plug it in with the new 3-pin power lead, and power up...

Huzzah and hurrah! It works!

The only thing I can surmise from this facade, was that whilst pulling and pushing new PSU's around I've unseated that RAM somehow!

Well, if I've learnt anything, it's to check everything is connected and seated properly before powering up, when installing new hardware.

And their was much rejoicing...

-Xeph'

Thread Information