Thread: USB powered 2.5" HDD problem ?

Thanks

Question USB powered 2.5" HDD problem ?

I bought a Icybox 2.5" usb powered caddy from Scan and it works perfectly on 1 USB socket when plugged in direct to any computer or laptop but the lead is too short yet when you extend the lead with a 1.8Mtr USB extension lead the drive refuses to work and after trying 4 different brand new USB extension leads i searched Google and it seems to be a problem of all 2.5" usb powered caddys not working via USB extension leads not even short 12" ones you get with flash drives.

How do i extend the lead so i can place the caddy on the desktop just above the computer is there some sort of special USB extension lead that can be used that doesn't loose signal or power ?

And before anybody suggests what i've already read a 100 or more times in other forums where people have had this problem that they should use either a mains powered USB hub or two USB extension leads to work with the Caddys Y splitter double USB headers i would just like to point out that would make the whole point of having a portable USB powered drive usless and does not solve the problem.

Thanks

Re: USB powered 2.5" HDD problem ?

Older 2.5" drive?
    Power specs outside the stated for the device?
    I'd say get a powered USB hub but as you said theres 100's of posts about the same thing, maybe you should of read them before you bought it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by [GSV]Trig View Post
    Older 2.5" drive?
    Power specs outside the stated for the device?
    I'd say get a powered USB hub but as you said theres 100's of posts about the same thing, maybe you should of read them before you bought it
    I can see you have never owned a 2.5" caddy and tried it via a USB extension cable.

Thanks

Maybe something like this might help you :-

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/5m-Ne...ter-NLUSB2-EXT

Jon

Thanks

I don't know how many places you use the drive, or duration, but if that desktop position is your primary then consider a powered hub for there or fit a bracket/shelf to your desk area. Surely if its used temporarily elsewhere it can stand wherever nearby?

My backup one I plug it in and just lay it on top of the case, its an IB too so it has the soft wallet and wont scratch the pc case. The lead is too short to read the desktop here too!

I would have reservations about that 5m cable for sustained disk data transfers, possibly if theres a shorter 1-2m version as its neater. No actual experience of it though, maybe somone else has who can contribute.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jonj1611 View Post
    Maybe something like this might help you :-

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/5m-Ne...ter-NLUSB2-EXT

Jon
    From other threads people say they don't work as they boost the data line by drawing power from the USB socket and the HDD is already drawing the max 500ma.

Thanks though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabbid View Post
    I don't know how many places you use the drive, or duration, but if that desktop position is your primary then consider a powered hub for there or fit a bracket/shelf to your desk area. Surely if its used temporarily elsewhere it can stand wherever nearby?

My backup one I plug it in and just lay it on top of the case, its an IB too so it has the soft wallet and wont scratch the pc case. The lead is too short to read the desktop here too!

I would have reservations about that 5m cable for sustained disk data transfers, possibly if theres a shorter 1-2m version as its neater. No actual experience of it though, maybe somone else has who can contribute.
    Glad to hear that a USB hub is ideal for your situation but what about those that have bought a external USB powered HDD for it's portability ?

A USB hub defeats the whole purpose of owning one you may aswell just use a normail mains powered drive and carry the power supply with you

Thanks

I dont use a powered hub for it, tho I have one somewhere kicking about

It's just I don't fully understand why your portable drive has to go on the desk?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabbid View Post
    I dont use a powered hub for it, tho I have one somewhere kicking about

It's just I don't fully understand why your portable drive has to go on the desk?
    This might help

Thread Information